Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Solstice too small...damn.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the fact that the hinges for the trunk are located in the rear of the trunk has cut away a sizeable square footage of the trunk itself. i'm imagining, with a conventional trunk design, there'd be more space back there.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=rockville,Jul 12 2005, 04:18 PM] From what I read on the Solstice forum (not in the market but I would like to see the car do well) two sets of clubs will fit with the top up.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Jul 12 2005, 03:15 PM
yup.. GM screwed up.. which is why they have already sold out the first year of production and will outsell the miata and S2000 combined... yup, GM screwed up...
exactly how may of these people have ACTUALLY PAID FOR THE CAR and driven it off the lot?

placing a deposit based on THE APPRENTICE is not a sale. Many of these "sales" will very likely defect to the Miata which looks to be the better car...similar power, MUCH lower weight, and better looks (IMO). Also, the Miata has AC (I'm not counting the club package which looks to be special order for enthusiasts whereas the base solstice looks to be for the penny pinchers.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benny,Jul 12 2005, 05:09 PM
I see one kids bag with 7 irons, one putter and one wood in the bag......

I can and often do put two fully stocked carry bags in the trunk of my S.

50% of the convertibles might "lose" trunk space with the top down but the Honda does not.
And by the way, what a dumbass design having the trunk lid flip back like it does! This nifty little styling feature ought to make lifting anything of any weight a real treat to store inside. Do they really think that this rediculous idea is going to help sell a couple more?
I'm not a golfer so I will have to take your word for it... or we could ask the guys on the Solstice forum what clubs they used. He did say two bags with the top up.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3299

I know the Honda doesn't loose trunk space but it also doesn't have an integrated boot cover nor the complex shape of the Solstice.

The reverse fold trunk lid does avoid adding extra body seams without resorting to the complex double hinges used on cars like the MB SLK.

Sure a side loading trunk may have it's disadvantages but I really don't think they are that bad. The lid opens up quite a bit and it's not like I'm going to load anything heavy into this car or any other roadster.
Really, your post reads more like you are digging for flaws. I'm sure it's not going to be perfect and I'm sure we are all going to have to scream, "but does it handle?" if the turbo Solstice ends up being faster than the S.

BTW, how many do they have to sell before we can call the car a success or failure?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by steven975,Jul 12 2005, 06:14 PM
exactly how may of these people have ACTUALLY PAID FOR THE CAR and driven it off the lot?

placing a deposit based on THE APPRENTICE is not a sale. Many of these "sales" will very likely defect to the Miata which looks to be the better car...similar power, MUCH lower weight, and better looks (IMO). Also, the Miata has AC (I'm not counting the club package which looks to be special order for enthusiasts whereas the base solstice looks to be for the penny pinchers.
nobody can say anything nice on this forum about GM because all the honda fan boys will cry... let me link you to the right honda forum: www.clubrsx.com

really, have you driven a production solstice?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 PM

I can fit two bags in my S2000 if I take the woods out and lay them on top. The Solstice is a nice car and I hope it does well but it doesn't hold a candle to the S2000.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03exlcoupe,Jul 12 2005, 07:19 PM
nobody can say anything nice on this forum about GM because all the honda fan boys will cry... let me link you to the right honda forum: www.clubrsx.com

really, have you driven a production solstice?
have you?

and when the hell did I diss GM or the solstice (besides the lack of a trunk)?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM

I'm holding on to my S2k until late 2006 early 2007 when the next Toyota Supra will come out. It will a 350hp convertible designed to compete with the s2000 in price.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=03exlcoupe,Jul 12 2005, 07:19 PM] nobody can say anything nice on this forum about GM because all the honda fan boys will cry...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by silversprint,Jul 12 2005, 09:40 PM
Maybe because there is little to say about GM at all lately. If you want trucks then go to GM or Ford. If you want the best cars for your money then go somewhere else.

Funny, but the thought of buying a solstice has never once crossed my mind. GM finally decided to jump on the Roadster bandwagon. But by the time these cars hit the market the rest of the car companies are already ahead again.
If I want the best car for my money... I would buy the corvette. By far the best value for the dollar. At a base price of 43.7k, you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your money.

The thought of buying a solstice may never have crossed your mind. But it has and will cross the mind of thousands of other buyers. The fact that you or any other person prefers your S2k to the soltice is just that.. your preference. While I respect your preference, it does not mean that some other user will not find the soltice to be the perfect ride for their needs...

Quick Reply: Solstice too small...damn.