Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sold wheels, buyer wants return?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold wheels, buyer wants return?

So I recently sold a set of SSR GT-3 wheels for a cheap price since I wanted them out of my house but they were a bit bent. I bought them used and had them on my car for a few months with no problems (well a little steering wheel vibration but not a huge deal). So I figured the bend was minor and could be fixed. I sold the wheels disclosing the bend on two wheels and the steering wheel vibration. However the buyer informed me that he just took it to a wheel repair shop and they said 3 wheels are really bent and probably not fixable. I find this weird since when looking at the wheels they look perfectly fine, only a small bend on two of the outer lips which is barely noticable.

Now he is asking if he could return the wheels for a refund. My conscience tells me I should, business practices tell me I shouldn't, afterall, I did disclose the flaws in detail and with pictures.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or input into this situation and guidance on where I should go.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a friend in the same situation however he was the buyer. The seller said the wheels were fixable but they weren't so it got ugly.

In your case you fairly stated the damage. Did you say anything about the wheels being repairable? If you did not make such a claim it is the buyer's responsibility to inspect the wheels with the damage you disclosed before the purchase. I don't know the legal issues behind this but that's how I would morally stand.

If I were you and I did not misrepresent the wheels I would stand firm with all sales final. If you feel bad for the guy, give him some of his money back but I wouldn't take back the wheels and give him a full refund.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM

You disclosed that two of the wheels were bent, but he's now saying that a third wheel is bent and is un-fixable.

I would refund him 25% and he can keep the wheels.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Former Moderator

I'd do this..

You said they were bent, but even you assumed they were fixable. I'd suggest that you tell the seller that in your opinion you were as forthcoming about the damage as possible, that he can return them for a refund less shipping. He's out a little, you're out a little and you're back to square.

You can then take them to a shop yourself and have them determine if they can be fixed, and if so for how much.

You can then relist them for sale stating that it's reccomended that the wheels be repaired, and sell them for what ever price you want. you can also for the cost of the repair and your time add that to the sale price and then ship.

This way, there is no question about the condition, and if the buyer chooses to take them as is, than you can sleep knowing you have nothing to worry about saying that it is a no return sale.

That's what I'd do.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

learn to put, SOLD AS IS, no refunds/returns in your FS adds.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

I'd refund the money less shipping.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Aug 28 2008, 12:42 PM
I'd do this..

You said they were bent, but even you assumed they were fixable. I'd suggest that you tell the seller that in your opinion you were as forthcoming about the damage as possible, that he can return them for a refund less shipping. He's out a little, you're out a little and you're back to square.

You can then take them to a shop yourself and have them determine if they can be fixed, and if so for how much.

You can then relist them for sale stating that it's reccomended that the wheels be repaired, and sell them for what ever price you want. you can also for the cost of the repair and your time add that to the sale price and then ship.

This way, there is no question about the condition, and if the buyer chooses to take them as is, than you can sleep knowing you have nothing to worry about saying that it is a no return sale.

That's what I'd do.
There's your answer.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks guys. I just don't get how the wheels are as bad as he claims they are. He also picked them up in person so he knows where I live which is what kind of scares me. I think I'll ask him if he can take them to another shop to have them evaluated and if they say the same I'll refund him. I mean I drove with the wheels on my car for a good 3 months with no problems except the annoying little steering wheel vibration.

Lesson learned though and thanks for everyone's input!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 PM

You told him they were bent and now he is complaining they are bent... tough shit for him imo, unless you told him they were fixable. Did he drive on them?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Former Moderator

The simple fact is that you are not qualified to judge if the wheel is fixable or not. If a shop says they are not, then they are not, and you should refund the money.

Quick Reply: Sold wheels, buyer wants return?