Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sold the s2k

Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamVA,Feb 12 2007, 12:23 PM
Maintenance costs are pretty high (it's kind of hard to work on), and the suspension components are a bit fragile. You can also expects a lot of creaks and rattles, but otherwise no big issues.
Maintenance costs are simply from dealers gouging...the hardest part is jacking the car up and someone tight working conditions. (I'd say pretty similar to the S2000) Do the maintenance yourself and it's no problem. It's what 95% of the lotus guys do anyways. Maintenance is cheaper than the S2000 I had when I do it myself.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you please do a comparison of the S2k to the Elise after you have owned it a couple of months?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Great looking car! Looks like the best of an Elise and Exige rolled into one package.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 12 2007, 04:08 PM

Could you please do a comparison of the S2k to the Elise after you have owned it a couple of months?
They're both awesome cars. From my experience, the S2k offers more creature comforts and daily practicaility, but the Elise offers more raw performance, better handling, and improved more 'exotic' styling. The elise certainly gets far more attention, if you like that sort of thing. It's a pro for some, con for others.

The elise is more fragile in the sense that if you hit a parking block, the repairs could cost you 8k to replace the front clam. No bumpers can be an expensive thing. As far as drive train reliability, I'd rate it similar to the S2k. The toyota drive train is pretty tried and true. Compared to my 01 S2k, I'd rate the fit and finish pretty comparable.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brennon,Feb 12 2007, 03:54 PM
Maintenance costs are simply from dealers gouging...the hardest part is jacking the car up and someone tight working conditions. (I'd say pretty similar to the S2000) Do the maintenance yourself and it's no problem. It's what 95% of the lotus guys do anyways. Maintenance is cheaper than the S2000 I had when I do it myself.
Local Lotus shop wanted $185 for an oil change! It takes 5 quarts of synth, bought the filter and washer at Napa and did it myself. Other than removing the engine tray panel on the bottom (12 or so bolts), it's an easy job. Whole deal took an hour.

I've also been tinkering with pedal adjustments, etc under the dash, and though snug, it's easy to work on and more like a motorcycle than a car. But definitely lots of creaks and rattles and I'm getting them quieter daily. Cannot hear the stereo at all (it really sucks), but the sound of the motor more than makes up for that.

The Honda is a wonderful car, as is the Lotus. While the Lotus is expensive new, there are some steals used. If you've got a dealer nearby that has a used one on the lot, take it for a test drive. Whether you like the whole package or not, you'll love it when that 2nd cam kicks in. Like vtec and then some

Mark
Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM

$185 for an oil change is rediculous. It's just a Toyota engine in a sexy body.

Are you considering modding the car? There are quite a few options for tuning, and every hp gets you a bit further than on heavier cars.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Hmmm.. been contemplating this swap for some time as well. I might have to test drive one

Awesome color combo choice
Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Feb 12 2007, 05:18 PM
$185 for an oil change is rediculous. It's just a Toyota engine in a sexy body.

Are you considering modding the car? There are quite a few options for tuning, and every hp gets you a bit further than on heavier cars.
Like the S2k, bolt ons are worthless. Intake and exhaust is there to simply change the sound. Most mods actually yield a loss in horsepower. The ECU is very fickle and adapts to the environment setting you back at square one at best, and a step back in some cases.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Hey man huge congrats on the new love of your life.

I've had my Elise for about 3 months and it's my DD (my drive to work is about 22 miles). It's great as long as you can fit I've met a few guys who DD their Elise/Exige. One guy has 33k miles and has taken it on trips up North several times.

EliseTalk.com
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. Enjoy the drive.

Quick Reply: Sold the s2k