Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

So... The sky isn't THAT bad.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
You bought a car with a 117k miles with a jerky automatic transmission?

Seriously?

I mean good luck, but...sheesh.
That's what I was thinking.....

I'm no auto transmission expert, but how would a spare tire cause that?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
You bought a car with a 117k miles with a jerky automatic transmission?

Seriously?

I mean good luck, but...sheesh.
Knock two quotes out in one post

I didn't. Dad did. 116k miles. Excuse me sir. It is a lot of miles. I was gawking at the G35(stick) lol. But this car was his choice. I had no say in it.

Dads explanation...
The abs senses the car is off axis due to deflated spare. And the car shifts funny.
This will kinda be his toy after I'm done with it. Or he may end up giving it to my older brother to get rid of the stealth.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Those kappa cars aren't all that bad, I actually like them, but I hate the top design on them. Gotta get in to unclip the top, then get out to fold the two buttresses and then all the trunk space is gone. Conversely, a miata you just unlatch one thing and throw it behind you, done, no lost trunk space. That top design is THE best, period.
Anyway, one of my unicorns is a 2009 solstice coupe gxp, but those friggin things have appreciated beyond reason so that's out. The sky interior is better than the solstice, but I prefer the solstice looks overall. I prefer the driving character of the s2000, the shifter in the kappas are blah and the engine feels bigger in both a good and bad way, and the handling isn't as immediate, but if I were looking to build a budget rocket, the kappas make a great argument since it has factory boost and wheel wells that can stuff big tires. Only thing I don't like about the lnf motors is the DI since they do get the dreaded carbon build up.
Cool cars, a buddy of mine got a well sorted sky a few years back with very low miles for like 13k, and they're still depreciating, 13k will barely get you a decent ap1 these days. Had it not been for the DI issue, I'd probably have a solstice gxp in my garage while considering a coupe conversion.
It may not be as direct as the S2000. But I'm coming from a 4,000lb wagon.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm worried about your dad's theory. I think your tranny is screwed (and not in a sexy he-she way :-P )
Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I'm worried about your dad's theory. I think your tranny is screwed (and not in a sexy he-she way :-P )
No idea... But since I've put 60psi on the spare, it hasn't done it...
Tomorrow he puts the full size wheel back on. Dealer had it re-chromed.

So I'll be testing it lol. This car on the carfax already had its TCM replaced once also.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1428366227' post='23568911

So I'll be testing it lol. This car on the carfax already had its TCM replaced once also.
60 psi on a spare... tranny issue due to wheels...

Now I've seen it all.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121' timestamp='1428368139' post='23568964
[quote name='Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1428366227' post='23568911']

60 psi on a spare... tranny issue due to wheels...

Now I've seen it all.
[/quote]
It said inflate to 60psi.....
420kps whatever that is. But gave murican translation. (60psi).
It was at 15 when we picked it up...
I can get a picture of the compressor if you'd like
Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty cool car to drive at your age. You could have definitely done worse. You and your dad should take it to some SCCA Auto-x events. You'll learn a lot about car control in a safe environment. The Solstice/Sky really shine in that arena and you're not at a major disadvantage with it being an auto. If I remember correctly, they come stock with 245 width tires on all four corners and can fit at least 275s all around. That's a ton of tire for such a small car.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ///Mizzou3
That's a pretty cool car to drive at your age. You could have definitely done worse. You and your dad should take it to some SCCA Auto-x events. You'll learn a lot about car control in a safe environment. The Solstice/Sky really shine in that arena and you're not at a major disadvantage with it being an auto. If I remember correctly, they come stock with 245 width tires on all four corners and can fit at least 275s all around. That's a ton of tire for such a small car.
Yep
245/18/45 on all four corners. That and factory bilsteins. Maybe this summer dad and I will take it to an autox event.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what kind of dealership sells a car sitting on a spare and then knocks the price off $1000 (cost of a used transmission) for the inconvenience. More like a convenient cover up which your dad ran with in fabricating theories. CARS OFF AXIS GUYS.

Besides how utterly dumb the above sounds, who in their right mind would pay 7 or 8k for that turd.

Anyway the cars not that bad until you drive an S2000 in comparison, at that point bad is too polite.

Quick Reply: So... The sky isn't THAT bad.