Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

So this ruffled the feathers of few ISF owners...

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
And if the weight is closer to 3,200lbs then the thing will be a beast with bolt-ons/tune/e85. While much better looking than the 1-series I wish it looked more like the 4 series; wider and lower, though weight would obviously increase as well.
But the published weight is 3500... or were you saying, with weight loss?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Originally Posted by Bullwings' timestamp='1397089094' post='23105658
it's nothing for them to get all butt hurt about... it's faster than the E9x M3 around Streets of Willow Springs.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPy0T3Fojt0[/media]

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968806

The car is a performance bargain. That said - FI... i doubt it'll hold up to 5x25min lapping sessions for weekend warriors - not without dumping a bunch into supporting mods anyway.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list as the Boss Mustang is slower than the regular Mustang GT. That being said the M235 is a little monster. IIRC one of the reviewers said that he feels like the car's making the advertised crank hp at the rear wheels. And if the weight is closer to 3,200lbs then the thing will be a beast with bolt-ons/tune/e85. While much better looking than the 1-series I wish it looked more like the 4 series; wider and lower, though weight would obviously increase as well.
Paper racing. yes...

Different drivers, different weather conditions, and different tires...

The S2000 is on that list doing 1:35.xxx with Mike Kang as a driver - that must have been a long time ago running in July at 2:00pm in the afternoon.

For reference, I ran a 1:31.xxx with my stock S2K two years ago only change was 225/255 RE-11s (versus the 215/255 RE070 or 215/245 RE050 that comes stock on our cars).

It should also be noted that Kang is a far more competent driver than myself (obviously).

In any case, 1:26 is a fast lap time no matter what the conditions and Street tires used.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I used to love BMW but lately their cars are getting very un-focused in their target audience. But then again what do I know since last I heard BMW is making big money!

The only car that is exciting right now is their upcoming August release of the i8, had a chance to drive the i3 and if that is any indication, the i8 will be an amazing machine, too bad it's so expensive.
Seems like they're going after people that want the bragging rights that come with a fast/quick car, but are never going to actually track it...probably a much larger demographic than people that regularly track $50+k street cars IMO. Makes good business sense I suppose

I took a look at the i3 when the little orange demo fleet stopped by my BMW dealership. Declined a test drive since I have zero interest in buying one, but definitely a neat "little" car, it'll be interesting to see how the cfrp/carbon intensive construction holds up. Hopefully in a few years, BMW will have the r&d/tooling costs from the i3/i8 balanced out and they'll offer something like the i8 in the Cayman S price range. Probably not going to happen knowing BMW though

Still crazy to me that the 235i is just about the smallest/lightest car BMW makes, and it's still 3500lbs! Not surprising that it could beat the ISF at any altitude, the Lexus is much more compromised as a sports car.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bahula03
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1397145771' post='23106511
I used to love BMW but lately their cars are getting very un-focused in their target audience. But then again what do I know since last I heard BMW is making big money!

The only car that is exciting right now is their upcoming August release of the i8, had a chance to drive the i3 and if that is any indication, the i8 will be an amazing machine, too bad it's so expensive.
Seems like they're going after people that want the bragging rights that come with a fast/quick car, but are never going to actually track it...probably a much larger demographic than people that regularly track $50+k street cars IMO. Makes good business sense I suppose

I took a look at the i3 when the little orange demo fleet stopped by my BMW dealership. Declined a test drive since I have zero interest in buying one, but definitely a neat "little" car, it'll be interesting to see how the cfrp/carbon intensive construction holds up. Hopefully in a few years, BMW will have the r&d/tooling costs from the i3/i8 balanced out and they'll offer something like the i8 in the Cayman S price range. Probably not going to happen knowing BMW though

Still crazy to me that the 235i is just about the smallest/lightest car BMW makes, and it's still 3500lbs! Not surprising that it could beat the ISF at any altitude, the Lexus is much more compromised as a sports car.
What's weird is that the M3/4 is under 3500 lbs, if I remember correctly. Doesn't really make much sense.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

3300 lbs, BMW says (they originally said with 90% fuel load).

I saw them in person today. Great looking cars (M3 and M4). My wife preferred the M3 but I liked the M4.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

When I moved from 500 ft to 5000 ft elevation, I noticed a distinct drop in power in my S2000, while there was no drop in power in my 328i - just a bit more turbo lag. Made me start contemplating how nice a quick-spooling light-pressure turbo on the S2000 would be. Even just 280 crank hp would be great.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
When I moved from 500 ft to 5000 ft elevation, I noticed a distinct drop in power in my S2000, while there was no drop in power in my 328i - just a bit more turbo lag. Made me start contemplating how nice a quick-spooling light-pressure turbo on the S2000 would be. Even just 280 crank hp would be great.

There was a drop in power, but the additional lag likely helped it feel faster. The turbo is less efficient all around, so with lag comes a turbo working harder to achieve the same boost it had at lower altitudes. Many OEM cars lower boost at higher altitudes to keep it from overworking itself.

Also, when comparing NA to boost... Superchargers see the same loss as NA.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is always a faster car than what you drive. BIG DEAL. The last time my feathers got the least bit ruffled about a car being faster than mine was when I had my 95' 240SX... and I was a TEENAGER. If you love your car and consider it fun to drive, then who cares! Guys need some other hobbies or something.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The threads about M235i vs c7 vette will be fun
C7 manual launching video - GM Engineers were there - Cold day on concrete
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJl0SW6zcZ8[/media]

If the M235i can launch control it's way to 4.8-5.0 seconds 0-60, we got a ball game of internet ball swinging to come
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
The threads about M235i vs c7 vette will be fun
C7 manual launching video - GM Engineers were there - Cold day on concrete
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJl0SW6zcZ8[/media]

If the M235i can launch control it's way to 4.8-5.0 seconds 0-60, we got a ball game of internet ball swinging to come
OHHH HELLL NAH!

But seriously, TFL gets a from me. Their reviews have very little substance and I am not sure why they keep getting the privilege of testing cars.

Quick Reply: So this ruffled the feathers of few ISF owners...