Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

small fender bender - need advice

Old 02-28-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default small fender bender - need advice

I am driving a Loaner car because my Evo is getting a new clutch today.... a lady pulled out 10 yards short of the intersection (at a red light which was red), then went diaganally across the left turn lane and was half into the middle lane....then attempted to come accross my lane to make a right turn...i tagged somewhere near the middle of her passenger door.

the damage to her car was almost none but the loaner (mitsu galant) has some surface bumper damage, a crease in the fender and a small gouge in the headlight.

somehow I see this as being a HUGE repair bill since it got the headlight and fender too.

They wanted to just leave at first but when i said it was their fault they got all cocky (2 big black ladies), i got their license number and the drivers name....... not sure what they got of mine off of the loaner car sheet... my name and insurance maybe?

Would you just pay the damage to the car and move on or turn it in and hope for the best ... in theory it could go to her fault or mine maybe??? I think it all depends on exactly where the two cars hit....

I don't want to turn a goofy fender bender into a huge lawsuit from them, but I don't have any great desire to pay a bunch of $ out of pocket either.....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

There are a number of scenarios:

1. She is at fault - she pays
2. You are both at fault - you pay and she pays, 50% each
3. You are at fault - you pay

Seems to me it'd be best to turn it in. You've got 2/3 chances that you'll pay nothing or only half. If you just pay it, you'll have to fork over the cash and she walks away. Sounds like she was at fault.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 AM

my problem is thinking about the possiblity of these two ladies are now "injured" ..... they completely changed when i said i wanted to get the police involved.. "O.... you wanna do that.... We can do that"... something like that in a really really cocky way.

Not that it matters, but the owner was the passenger and had a handicap tag... she was large, but seemed to get out well enough.?

I almost need to go find out exactly where i hit their car.... if was the drivers door then it is their fault for sure..... i am certain it was not the rear fender, but I don't know who's fault it is for the back door.....

Right now we left it as....i would pay for mine and they would pay for theirs... at least that is what they kept saying....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

If it's their fault, they're responsible for their own injuries.

If I read correctly, they invaded YOUR lane/space, did they not?

Is your neck hurting? I'll bet your shoulder is very sore from the snap of the impact.

Bottom line - two can play at that game. I'm pretty sure you're not at fault...
Old 02-28-2005, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they're gonna cry "i'm hurt" and try to sue, they will already have done so or will do so. the reason for their cocky behavior is most likely because it is their word (2) versus just you. i've been in a few fender benders and when i was outnumbered (even once when it was me and 3 friends versus ONE), nothing was settled and we both paid our own damages, b/c the other party denied hitting me or said it was my fault.

just turn it in...if they notice it, which they prob will, your insurance can pay for it if you choose that route. to be honest, i think you should call your insurance and tell them what happened. hopefully, the angle in which your cars hit will tell the true tale. good luck!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:19 AM

edit - I just told the loaner place the entire story and submitted a claim through my insurance that will go after their insurance.... what a great f'ing lunch!!!

They were too quick to try and walk away so I think you guys are right..... if their necks hurt, i think my neck does hurt...

Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you should have called the cops. Too late now. If you do what you are considering, most likely the dealership will notice the damage and charge you accordingly. Then you pay for having the fender painted, then pay again for having the crease fixed and the fender repainted along with the other damage.

See what it costs to get it fixed right. Even if you fix it, you should still let the dealership know what happened. It could be embarrassing for them and you if someone shows up at their door wanting personal injury money.

If you don't want to eat the repair cost, call your insurance company and let them know what happened. Let them go after the lane jumpers.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Slithr,Feb 28 2005, 01:57 PM] IMO you should have called the cops.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gee, if you'd been in your truck you could have just driven right over them and not stopped.

Don't you just love it when you meet people with baditudes?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Feb 28 2005, 12:02 PM
I am driving a Loaner car because my Evo is getting a new clutch today.... a lady pulled out 10 yards short of the intersection (at a red light which was red)...
I thought this was funny.

Quick Reply: small fender bender - need advice