Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The SLR engine in an SLK is for real (more info)

Old 05-20-2005, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The SLR engine in an SLK is for real (more info)

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-v...posts=11&fid=27

Some might remember the thread with pics of an SLK with an SLR engine, and how everyone was calling out "photoshopped". Well, it seems like it was for real.

Like I've already mentioned, the SLR engine is only a little larger, so I don't see why it wouldn't have been possible to do this. So nope, they were not photoshopped images, and now the owner has added rubber rings around the holes to cover up the dremel cut-out work.

There seems to be a culture that has evolved on the internet where people call out "photoshop" for any pic they don't 'believe'. But personally, there's a lot less of it going on then one would like to think. Some incredible sh1t is out there
"Today I met Mohamed Bin Sulayem, a famous rally driver in the Middle East. He has an awesome car collection. This is one of them.
Here's what happened:
I was on my way home from school when I see an SLK wit two black patches on the hood. I was like "stickers". So I decided to check it out. After a fast lunch, I went to the house where it was parked. I get close and see that those black patches were actually the engine sticking out of the hood. I was like WTF? I was even more shocked when I read SLR on the engine. So I started snapping pics. When a Nissan Armada pulls up and who else but Bin Sulayem steps out of the house to get something from the Armada. Then he gets in the SLK and calls me to talk to him. At first I didnt recognise him, but he told me later on. My first reaction was to point speechless at the hood. He told me got the engine and put it in himself and changed the transmission, and it's a RWD. He said it had 615hp, and could go well over 350 km/h. He told me he had already been up to 320. He said it's a one of a kind, and that AMG are coming to Dubai just to see it.
The reason why he did such a crazy think was because all the other cars he has (Enzo, F50, F40, GT1, etc etc etc...) were undrivable in these streets cuz of all the traffic, so he settle with a SLK55 with an auto transmission, a comfy, easy ride in other words. But he wasnt happy with the power output...So hey, might as well drop an SLR engine into it...
Oh, and the sound...Mind blowing...
Crazy car..."
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM

Yeah, who knows, maybe they might even start calling that SLK the "convertible SLR."
Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Wow, he must be one talented mechanic to do that swap on his own.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Photos are gone.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:30 AM

I can still see them. Maybe there were network disruptions?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Old 05-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I still dont see how its possible that somebody can aquire an SLR engine "just like that" i mean arent those cars on backorder or something!? Is the engine a salvage? whats going on here
Old 05-21-2005, 02:38 PM

It's not all about power btw but how you use it. If all you need is HP then a muscle car should do or better still a jet engine. This guy is nuts but good luck to him.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by C U AT 9K,May 21 2005, 02:19 PM
I still dont see how its possible that somebody can aquire an SLR engine "just like that" i mean arent those cars on backorder or something!? Is the engine a salvage? whats going on here
The guy has money. If you have money, you can get anything.

I asked how much it would cost to have a shifter, and my dealer said "well, it says here in our DB that it's about $1500 and has to be custom ordered/made". So whilst it will cost him to get the engine, he will be able to buy it without a problem. Anything is possible if you know the right people within' MB, and as I've found out, I could very well order a car with one seat pink, another blue, and a green body if I so chose to. As long as I pay MB, they'll deliver the goods.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shinigami,May 22 2005, 08:15 AM
The guy has money. If you have money, you can get anything.
I agree completely!

Kobe Bryant Bought his wife a Lambo Murc....go. He spent an Aditional 80K for it.
Why???
Because she cant drive stick, he has the ONLY auto Murc....go on earth, custom made for him by Lambo
So Im sure a very wealthy guy could get and install a SLR engine.

Quick Reply: The SLR engine in an SLK is for real (more info)