Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

slow bikers in fast lane

Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my way home today i came upon 3 sport bikers in the fast lane of a 4 lane hghway at 55 mph, no traffic in the fast line. After about 30 secs I gave two quick beeps. One moved aside, but two stayed infront. the one that moved aside came behind me and started flashing. after about 10 seconds of this, the two bikers in front move aside and I hit the pedal. About 10 car lengths in front of them, they decide to chase me and of course they catch up and pass, rev along side me. eventually after about 4 miles, we catch up to some traffic and slow down. at no point did i tailgate or threaten the bikers' safety, staying in the fast lane the whole time and basically going fast.

I'm peeved because of the following logic.

1. sport bikes are capable of going fast in the fast lane.
2. slow traffic should move aside for traffic in the fast lane.
3. in assuming that the bikes were fast I beeped my horn. having made that assumption is it necessary for them to prove how fast they are by chasing me down? sheesh!
4. street racing is idiotic. doing so on a bike is even more so.
what happens if the car driver loses control and hits the bike? hopefully leathers and helmet will protect u if u get run over. jeez.

this forum is for bike lovers so I'll probably get flamed for this post. But honestly, I think the consequences are potentially much worse for a motorcyle crash than an automobile crash at speeds over 100mph.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:58 PM

1. what the fu(k is your point?
2. what do u expect the motorcyle community to say?
3.why do motorcyclists have to go fast just because they have fast bikes? maybe the were newbs and didnt want to over do it.
4. HAHAH! in what world would helmet and leathers protect you when getting run over????
5. sportbikes dont have to "chase" you to catch up.

~my numbers didnt respond directly to each of yours~
Old 06-27-2004, 08:26 PM

sounds like you had an encounter with some morons. oh well, they are all out there. and trust me, the percentage of morons in cars is a lot more than morons on bikes. i have had some people pull right next to me, in my lane, on the highway....im right there next to his window and this guy was chattin on his cell, doesnt even notice me. thats happened a couple times.

you could have just passed them on the right too ya know. it doesnt take that much effor, flick to signal, merge right, pass, signal again and merge left...VOILA!

and as f4i said...what is a helmet and leather gonna do when your getting trampled by a car? helmet should be worn anyway, but leathers dont prevent broken bones.

(i always wear a helmet and jacet, a skin graft doesnt seem too appealing to me)
Old 06-28-2004, 09:53 AM

Not interested in flaming, but riding a motorcycle, I can tell you that bikers often ride in the far left lane for safety reasons. In other words, riding in the far left lane avoids those scenarios when people are trying to merge into the right lane from an exit or worse, a situation in which you have some moron cut you off (or clip you!) trying to exit at the last minute.

Nevertheless, the bikers did overreact by chasing you down, in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Honda Racer,Jun 28 2004, 04:26 AM
sounds like you had an encounter with some morons. oh well, they are all out there. and trust me, the percentage of morons in cars is a lot more than morons on bikes.
Yes, most of the morons on bikes are dead morons!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM

1. what the fu(k is your point?
2. what do u expect the motorcyle community to say?
3.why do motorcyclists have to go fast just because they have fast bikes? maybe the were newbs and didnt want to over do it.
4. HAHAH! in what world would helmet and leathers protect you when getting run over????
5. sportbikes dont have to "chase" you to catch up.
The point is this (and it should have been pretty friggin' obvious):

1)STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE LEFT LANE UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING!!!!
2)Only a total jackass would speed up and harass a motorist who committed no offense except to have the audicity to pass him.

After many years of riding sport bikes, I recently sold my GSX-R1000 because I no longer wish to be associated with the typical sport bike rider. The public's perception of sport bike riders is just slightly higher than axe murderers and child molesters, thanks to asshats like these guys.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:36 AM

If there was another lane free, just go around.

By the way, are you from Concord, CA, Concord, MA, or some other Concord?

What's annoying is when there is no other way to get around. On the Saturday before Memorial Day, I was southbound on Highway 1 in my S200 about 150 miles north of San Francisco and got stuck behind four Harleys in close formation. Much of that section has a speed limit of 55 mph, but these guys were going slower and excrutiatingly slow in the tight corners. Because there were four, and they were fairly close together, I would have had to pass all four plus the SUV stuck behind them to make a safe pass. I was stuck behind them for 20 miles before I finally pulled off to see the sights and let them get way ahead of me.

If you can go around in another lane just do it without the honking or light flashing.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM

on my way home today i came upon 3 sport bikers in the fast lane of a 4 lane hghway at 55 mph, no traffic in the fast line. After about 30 secs I gave two quick beeps. One moved aside, but two stayed infront. the one that moved aside came behind me and started flashing. after about 10 seconds of this, the two bikers in front move aside and I hit the pedal. About 10 car lengths in front of them, they decide to chase me and of course they catch up and pass, rev along side me. eventually after about 4 miles, we catch up to some traffic and slow down. at no point did i tailgate or threaten the bikers' safety, staying in the fast lane the whole time and basically going fast.
They were inexperienced poor riders. The far left lane is generally considered the safest lane for motorcylists, but they should have been riding slightly faster than the flow off traffic.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Nik
Banned

harleys are a different story but most street bikes i see on the beltway either race me or get over to let me pass. Dudes on harleys just ride slow and go vroom broom bru bru bru bru. Especially when they slow down. Why do you have to rev your engine when slowing down just so everyone can hear your shitty sounding exhaust at a stop light.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 AM

They are rev matching as they slow. The same thing you should be doing in your S2000 as you slow down.

Quick Reply: slow bikers in fast lane