Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sky Redline gets great gains from catback

Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Redline gets great gains from catback

so i've been on the Sky Redline boards since April when they started (VERY slow moving boards) and they're starting to come out with performance mods for the car. they just tested a 3" catback exhaust using Magnaflow mufflers and got a 22.5whp increase (peak RPM) and a 14 lb/ft increase at the wheels. the largest gain at a specific RPM was 31.6whp and 22 lb/ft at the wheels. i think this is pretty great since even the WRX only gets about 13whp (peak RPM) from a 3" catback. they're now testing a PCM upgrade which is SAID to give another 15% gain in hp and 11% in torque (obviously just estimates).

that is the dyno of a stock Sky Redline vs. the one with a 3" Magnaflow catback, nothing else. 230whp base + 15% more with PCM (34whp) = 264whp + Magnaflow 3" (22whp) = approx. 286whp with just a catback and computer upgrade. the exhaust is about $750 and the PCM will be $500. $1250 for 56whp over stock is EXCELLENT in my opinion; and you're still completely legal. with a test pipe/high flow cat and intake, this car will hit 300whp with just MINOR bolt-ons; they haven't even done an intercooler/turbo/fuel system upgrade yet. anyone else excited about this?
-Chris
Old 12-27-2006, 11:51 AM

Pretty interesting, might be fun to get a used one in a few years after the depreciation hits and do some serious mods.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the way the Sky looks.

Is that really the wheel horsepower?

With stock rated at 260 at the crank, it's putting down 230 to the wheels?
Are you sure it's not modified to start?

I would still get a used S2000 and a turbo kit rather than a Sky.
Drivetrain, soft top, trunk.

But stock Hondas beware!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

take numbers like that with a grain of salt. Especially, 15% gains from an ECU alone is very suspicious. The only way I can see to see that kind of gain from a computer is if the computer controls the boost, and I don't know enough about the Sky to say that's the case.

What size exhaust is factory? 3" seems kind of large for a car not even puting down 300 to the wheels. I'd have expected the biggest constriction to be a cat system or downpipe, not the catback, but 13hp peak isn't unrealistic. I'd expect more gains from swapping in high flow cats, but I have no idea what a turbo sky looks like underneath.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

No doubt the Sky/Solstice turbo will have little issue with getting 300rwhp with a few bolt-on mods. Mid 300's or higher with a turbo upgrade.

The Ecotec motor can take a LOT of horsepower with the correct mods.

It would be a fun used track car down the road. Figure $15k purchase price for a used one and $5k in mods and you'd have a track monster.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

BUT TEH TRUNK SPACE!!!!1111!!1!1!111!!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

But I've got to be honest, the Sky/Sol could have a million HP, after driving one I'm still not interested. Cool for them, though.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 PM

Ckit - yes that is the whp of THIS particular stock Sky Redline. they usually put down more than 215whp stock (around 260 flywheel). this one puts out 230whp stock (around 275 flywheel) so people say they're underrated.

no_really - i do agree that these numbers sound too good to be true, but if it is true then this thing will be a great car to mod for cheap. also, the stock catback has to be under 2.5" because they also tested a 2.5" version of the exhaust and god 11whp peak. and i think you're misreading my post - the 3" system for the Redline got 22whp peak, largest gain acorss the RPM range was 31whp. the Subaru Impreza WRX got 13whp peak from a catback, i was comparing the two cars with just catbacks. also, a 3" exhaust is the standard size exhaust upgrade for any factory-turbo car, especially if you have plans for significant power later on.

QUICKAG - 350whp is definately possible with a turbo upgrade from the looks of these numbers. ill get one once the depreciation starts. i always wished the s2000 was factory turbo; im willing to sacrifice some handling for the turbo.
-Chris
Old 12-27-2006, 01:46 PM

My friend and I just went to look at one and I was disappointed. I love the way the sky looks from outside, but the inside is total crap. I have never seen that much plastic in my life. The seat are too soft with little support. I guess its a good car but for the price I would rather get something else.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Not surprising, since it is a turbocharged car.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's not a surprise, as it is a turbo car. The new BMW 335's are getting similar power gains with simple piggyback ECU & exhaust too.

Quick Reply: Sky Redline gets great gains from catback