Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Shutting Big Brother Out

Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna,Aug 20 2010, 10:17 AM
your understanding is incorrect.
You're going to have to find supporting documentation if you want to convince me. Based on Texas Transportation Code (I live in TX):
http://law.justia.com/texas/codes/tn...000544.00.html
[QUOTE](d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal
shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop
line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the
near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall
remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After
stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely,
and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent
crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the
operator may:
(1) turn right; or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
(e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal
is warned by that signal that:
(1) movement authorized by a green signal is being
terminated; or
Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$492 ticket from one of these.

California is BROKE!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 20 2010, 10:35 AM

California is BROKE!
Holy crap! Really that much?! That's way out of proportion.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 20 2010, 11:35 AM

California is BROKE!
whoa
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=thebig33tuna,Aug 20 2010, 07:17 AM]your understanding is incorrect.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 20 2010, 06:43 AM
Several studies have shown that Red light cameras increase rear end collisions in intersections. But a couple of city funded studies showed the opposite. Hmmmm, who'm I going to believe?
Umm, no. People driving too close to one another are the reason those accidents are happening, the red light cameras are just the reason people are stopping.

A kid running after a ball that rolled into the street doesn't cause a rear end accident. Someone following too closely (read: breaking the law) and not giving the driver in front ample space is what causes the rear end accident.

As a driver you have to be willing and able to brake suddenly and if you fail to do so, the reason for your braking too late and hitting someone is not the real issue in my opinion.

Here's the thing, when you are driving on public roads I don't think that you should have some expectation of privacy at the expense of other people's safety.

Can we please try to use some goddamn common sense here, fellas? The vast majority of the complaints that you guys are voicing have to do with poorly functioning red light cameras, and frankly, I suspect that many of these complaints are speculative. But even if they are not, all you are really doing is showing that red light cameras need to function better.

In the DFW area here in Texas our red light cameras take a photograph AND AND AND video. The photograph get's a clear shot of your license plate and the video is there to properly account for what you did. Almost every day I turn off of Preston and 635 in Dallas to come home from work. I make a right on red at Preston and almost every time it snaps a picture of my car. I have not once received a single ticket because they have a person who examines the few seconds of video footage and then determines whether it was a false alarm or not. I have never legitimately ran a red light so I have never gotten such a ticket.

On the contrary, I have been there when two people I know have received such a ticket and in both cases they were like, "Man, this is bullshit. I didn't run a red light." Only, the paperwork you get in the mail gives you an ID number which you can enter into into their website and watch the video footage of you clearly running a red light. Case closed.

Certainly this is an opportunistic endeavor for the city to generate some new cash flow. I don't doubt that for a second. But it doesn't inherently mean that ticketing people for running red lights is bad. In see people run red lights in Dallas almost daily, and that is no exaggeration. I have come very close to getting smacked by red light runners. I wish each of those assholes would get a ticket. They are basically waving their dick at the rules every time they willfully speed through a red light just to save 1 minute off of their commute.

Again, I think think it's an invasion of privacy... the privacy of people that are willfully braking the law. If the machines work right and don't tag innocent people, then what is your complaint exactly?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Aug 20 2010, 07:31 AM
You're going to have to find supporting documentation if you want to convince me. Based on Texas Transportation Code (I live in TX):
http://law.justia.com/texas/codes/tn...000544.00.html

Nothing there states that the operator must be all the way through the intersection before the light turns red. It simply states that if the signal is red, the operator must stop at the line. However, if the operator has already passed the line before the signal turns red, then it is obvious that it is not possible for the operator to stop at the line.
There is also another section which states that when operators get a green light, they must first yield to any vehicles which are already in the intersection. To me, that is supportive of my interpretation.

Edit:
Also, for the traffic cams in TX (and I assume other locations as well), the ticket comes with at least 2 photos. One is taken at the instant the light turns red (to show that the vehicle was still behind the line when the light was red) and another one at some subsequent time which shows that the vehicle has proceeded into the intersection without stopping.
This is correct. I work at a law firm and I know a zillion Texas ticket lawyers and have seen a zillion disputed red light ticket cases at the court house.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney,Aug 20 2010, 09:09 AM
Holy crap! Really that much?! That's way out of proportion.
Yep, and $700 registration!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 20 2010, 08:55 AM
That's absurd.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 20 2010, 11:55 AM
Jeebus. Does registration include a beer and a HJ?

Quick Reply: Shutting Big Brother Out