Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should people be scared of riding?

Old 04-13-2002, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was done riding for the day, I would come home DEAD TIRED. This was the result of CONSTANTLY staying aware of everything that was around me. The physical strain of riding my motorcycle was not anywhere near the mental strain. It is definitely a good thing to be a little scared of riding your motorcycle. As someone on this post has said before, it is when "comfort-confidence" kicks in that you get in trouble. There needs to be a HEALTHY respect for the power of a motorcycle and its strengths/weaknesses. Additionally, you need to be cogniscent of your own strengths/weaknesses and ride within those limits if you want to live to ride another day...
Old 04-16-2002, 07:48 PM

When I ride I pretty much count on other vehicles on the road NOT seeing me. I'm not scared really, just hyper-aware.

I once happened to be watching as a man on foot began to cross an intersection late on a yellow flashing light. Another man on a bike was slowing to stop beside a van that was waiting at the red light. The light turned green so, instead of stopping, the man on bike continued through the crosswalk just as the man on foot walked past the van. Wham! Man on foot went head over heels and the bike went down. Both men walked away with cuts and bruises.
I guess most pedestrians should be a more aware as well
Old 04-16-2002, 08:28 PM

I've never dropped my bike yet, I've only been riding for 10 months now though. But my friend that just bought a 2002 GSXR 600 3 weeks ago crashed trying to keep up with us during a run. So know your limits, and dont think you can just jump on and drag your knee or ride wheelies. Take your time and take a safety course too. I hope I never dump my R1, I'd kill myself if the wreck didn't kill me.