Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I switch from 06 S2k to '16 STI?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1462825308' post='23961567
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1462818908' post='23961426']
[quote name='cfphelps' timestamp='1462758430' post='23960759']

Where are you seeing C6 Z06's in the mid 20's? Even high mileage 06's around here are still low 30's.
He said C5 Z06.

That said I've seen a few 06s with high mileage (read 150k) being offered in the mid 20s as well.
My bad, for a C5 that's about right.
I'm interested in your thoughts on your STI and why you are selling so quickly?

I am thinking about one as a DD but am wondering if it will be too harsh once the honeymoon phase is over. Did that happen to you?

I plan on test driving a 16 STI and 16 WRX this weekend.
[/quote]

Honestly the biggest thing is I hate the clutch/gas engagement. The clutch has a very narrow bite point and it's almost all the way at the top of the travel paired with the hyper sensitive gas and it takes a little concentration to drive it stop and go. Also it's a bit too 'urgent' overall for a daily, feels like it wants to be raced all the time. The gears are short, the steering is quick, the chassis is stiff. I want a more laid back feel in a daily driver but the STI is a great car if you want those characteristics or if you want a daily driver you can also track.

PM me if you want more info.
[/quote]

Thanks!

That's about how I feel for the STi. I feel like I'd love the STI 10 track days a year and prefer the WRX the other 355 days a year.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1462829976' post='23961661
[quote name='Dizings2k' timestamp='1462825308' post='23961567']
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1462818908' post='23961426']
[quote name='cfphelps' timestamp='1462758430' post='23960759']

Where are you seeing C6 Z06's in the mid 20's? Even high mileage 06's around here are still low 30's.
He said C5 Z06.

That said I've seen a few 06s with high mileage (read 150k) being offered in the mid 20s as well.
My bad, for a C5 that's about right.
I'm interested in your thoughts on your STI and why you are selling so quickly?

I am thinking about one as a DD but am wondering if it will be too harsh once the honeymoon phase is over. Did that happen to you?

I plan on test driving a 16 STI and 16 WRX this weekend.
[/quote]

Honestly the biggest thing is I hate the clutch/gas engagement. The clutch has a very narrow bite point and it's almost all the way at the top of the travel paired with the hyper sensitive gas and it takes a little concentration to drive it stop and go. Also it's a bit too 'urgent' overall for a daily, feels like it wants to be raced all the time. The gears are short, the steering is quick, the chassis is stiff. I want a more laid back feel in a daily driver but the STI is a great car if you want those characteristics or if you want a daily driver you can also track.

PM me if you want more info.
[/quote]

Thanks!

That's about how I feel for the STi. I feel like I'd love the STI 10 track days a year and prefer the WRX the other 355 days a year.
[/quote]

Not in my experience, the WRX shifter, suspension, steering all felt mushy and econobox feeling, i couldn't deal with that.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded in my '15 STI back in an s2000. Turbo lag and sensitive throttle. Felt like an econobox. Afraid of mods.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few things,

As someone who owns a STI and has a shop that builds extremely high powered STIs, don't do it. You'll have to do a complete build if you want any semblance of power (closed deck, rods, pistons, cams, head port/polish, half inch headstuds, arp case bolts, manifolds) and even then your reliability is still up in question if you beat on it. The difference between a 550hp STI and a 800hp STI is what turbo the owner decide to go with. Don't listen to the IAG/Outfront closed deck fanboys, they will blow up too in time from some various component failure. The VE of the EJ means that any turbo that you'd decide to slap on there will make significantly less power then on any other engine, and that is even with a full litany of breathing mods. A turbo that would make 750hp on a s2000 easily (Precision 6266) will be out of breath in the 600 range on an EJ.

If you think just because you'll "leave it alone stock" that it will be fine and reliable, you are mistaken. There are still instances of ringland failures and spun bearings on facory setups without even so much as an accessport tune. Next, the 2017 STI is supposed to be getting a FA based block, but it's said that it will be DI only just like the last few years of BRZ/86's which make adding power adders difficult.

As of right now there is still no company that offers aftermarket DI injectors so unless you decide to go standalone and add port injectors, you're SOL.

Next, the community sucks. So many people have absolutely no idea what they're doing with the platform and there are a lot of horror stories (I guess I could say the same about some FI S2000s, but the general knowledge here is higher). The community is cheap and won't pay money for used parts, which is good if you want to buy used parts. You can get a lot of parts easily because many people will part out their cars because it blew up and they're tired of it.

The only positive thing I can say is that the transmissions are stronger than the S2000's, and the rest of the drivetrain is OK but the powerplant is junk. Evo's are the exact opposite, but it's not as expensive to make the drivetrain not fall apart.

If your S2000 is slow, add boost, and don't do a half ass cheap garbage turbo kit. Do something with vband inlet and outlets so you don't have to mickey mouse stuff with gaskets and the like. Use a quality ECU quality injectors quality lines and you'll be golden on the stock block running E85.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven622
Few things,

As someone who owns a STI and has a shop that builds extremely high powered STIs, don't do it. You'll have to do a complete build if you want any semblance of power (closed deck, rods, pistons, cams, head port/polish, half inch headstuds, arp case bolts, manifolds) and even then your reliability is still up in question if you beat on it. The difference between a 550hp STI and a 800hp STI is what turbo the owner decide to go with. Don't listen to the IAG/Outfront closed deck fanboys, they will blow up too in time from some various component failure. The VE of the EJ means that any turbo that you'd decide to slap on there will make significantly less power then on any other engine, and that is even with a full litany of breathing mods. A turbo that would make 750hp on a s2000 easily (Precision 6266) will be out of breath in the 600 range on an EJ.

If you think just because you'll "leave it alone stock" that it will be fine and reliable, you are mistaken. There are still instances of ringland failures and spun bearings on facory setups without even so much as an accessport tune. Next, the 2017 STI is supposed to be getting a FA based block, but it's said that it will be DI only just like the last few years of BRZ/86's which make adding power adders difficult.

As of right now there is still no company that offers aftermarket DI injectors so unless you decide to go standalone and add port injectors, you're SOL.

Next, the community sucks. So many people have absolutely no idea what they're doing with the platform and there are a lot of horror stories (I guess I could say the same about some FI S2000s, but the general knowledge here is higher). The community is cheap and won't pay money for used parts, which is good if you want to buy used parts. You can get a lot of parts easily because many people will part out their cars because it blew up and they're tired of it.

The only positive thing I can say is that the transmissions are stronger than the S2000's, and the rest of the drivetrain is OK but the powerplant is junk. Evo's are the exact opposite, but it's not as expensive to make the drivetrain not fall apart.

If your S2000 is slow, add boost, and don't do a half ass cheap garbage turbo kit. Do something with vband inlet and outlets so you don't have to mickey mouse stuff with gaskets and the like. Use a quality ECU quality injectors quality lines and you'll be golden on the stock block running E85.

2017 STI has already been announced, still the same old EJ motor. Maybe 2018. You're right though, the owners are miserable. I know where all the civic ricers and srt4 douchers graduated to....
Old 05-12-2016, 11:27 AM

1) Is an STI worth the extra bucks - especially with the outdated engine?
2) Has anyone switched from S2k to STI and felt happy about the switch?
3) If I didn't really care about the AWD or the 4 doors, how would STI and the s2000 stack up against each other in terms of fun factor and just as a car in general
4) Is reliability of an STI something to worry about?
1. No. Honestly unless you're tracking the car, I'd get a WRX over an STI any day of the week. Much more liveable, negligibly slower in a straight line, and better mileage to boot.
2. I'm sure some people have. I've considered it. I DD something cheap instead.
3. It's not as much fun, period. No drop top. It handles well, but it can be pushy and not as lively as a short wheelbase RWD like the S. Very point and shoot rather than finesse, but most AWD cars are.
4. Compared to an S2000, absolutely. Even stock they are known to have ringland failure in numbers nearing early Boxster IMS failures. Ones where the boost is cranked up have a habit of not making it to 100k.

My advice?

Keep the S2000 as a good weather car. Invest in good rubber and take it to an autocross and/or track day. If you want a non-roadster for daily driving, buy whatever you want, but a new WRX would be a great choice.

FWIW on your S - an 06 with 100k on it is still worth $12-15k depending on the condition. A Science of Speed supercharger is only $5400 with tuning included, and can be installed over a weekend with a decent toolbox and maybe one guy who knows what he's doing. It doesn't have the massive heat issues that turbos do on our cars either. Unless you're going to the racetrack (not the drag strip) there's really no reason to add anything except good rubber.

You're never going to see the money back on mods when you sell the car anyway, so why not do it to a fully depreciated one that you own outright rather than a new one where you're making payments and voiding the warranty? That's the smart way to do it anyway...
Old 05-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few things,

Wow thanks for the information.
Very helpful. I always fantasized about STIs for some reason, but I guess they're not as good as they're perceived to be.
I actually went to a Subie dealer and found out that '17 models are going to be equipped with EJ too.
In fact they said nothing about the STI will change for the next 2-3 years, which is odd.

I really do love my s2k and I mean it.
But I bought it used and it now has 103,000 miles.
I also recently found out that the car was repainted multiple times before.
Because of these reasons, I thought it may be an opportunity to look for something new and faster.
Now I'm finding out that there aren't many good performance cars that can replace an S.
May be I'll look for a better conditioned S...

Evo's are awesome too.
I think they look wonderful but I heard the reliability isn't all that great either.
Also their are many people who complain about the cars interior rattles.
After spending roughly 40k, I wouldn't want to hear a single thing rattle from such a pricey car...
Old 05-12-2016, 04:43 PM

2017 STI has already been announced, still the same old EJ motor. Maybe 2018. You're right though, the owners are miserable. I know where all the civic ricers and srt4 douchers graduated to....
Damn really? The rumor mill had it that it was finally dying.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Few things,

*drops the mic
Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread is making me want to sell my STI.
I still love it... but apparently it sucks.

Quick Reply: Should I switch from 06 S2k to '16 STI?