Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I switch from 06 S2k to '16 STI?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

A few things you can do to make the car super fun and love it again if you haven't already is get an AP1 flywheel or a Toda (if you're feeling like having a lot of fun) and remove the CDV. Your acceleration will be better and overall experience will be better. I wouldn't trade an S2 for a Subi unless you needed the 4 doors. Even if you needed 4 doors I would just get a cheap daily and still keep the S2.

I just rode in a Subi for the first time this week a 16 WRX. It's a cool car got a little torque and all that but it's not even half as fun as the S2.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EsA2000
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1462540856' post='23958872
"Better than an STI"??? I'll leave that to others to debate. My point is there are many choices. How many have you driven??

A Golf GTi. You can just buy a piggy back or reflash to get the power you want.

A BMW 228i with the M Sport package. New is $36K sticker.

Audi S3 as suggested above. When I test drove one last summer, the salesman was offering all sorts of discounts.

Mustang Eco Boost.

Fiesta ST

Focus ST

Focus RS

Mini Cooper
Best bang for buck modding is with the VW/Audi imo. Get an APR tune/reflash/downpipe for around $1k and gain like 100+whp/wtq
I actually don't like hatches, they look ugly imo.
That's why I know Golf R and Focus RS are superior AWD turbo 4 cars, but I don't like em much.
Though, When I did more digging into the German counterparts of STI, I found that surprisingly they're better than STI in various areas.
Thanks to all of you, I'm a less interested in the STI.
I wish there were more turbo cars that are reliable and reasonably priced.
I like the s3 a lot, but don't you think the automatic trans (paddle waddle) would be a little too boring coming from an s2k?

Along with keeping my s2k, I might also consider a used Shelby 500.
Does anyone know if those are actually fun? or are they nothing more than bragging rights on wheels?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by strongesthiro
Originally Posted by EsA2000' timestamp='1462551994' post='23959042
[quote name='Legal Bill' timestamp='1462540856' post='23958872']
"Better than an STI"??? I'll leave that to others to debate. My point is there are many choices. How many have you driven??

A Golf GTi. You can just buy a piggy back or reflash to get the power you want.

A BMW 228i with the M Sport package. New is $36K sticker.

Audi S3 as suggested above. When I test drove one last summer, the salesman was offering all sorts of discounts.

Mustang Eco Boost.

Fiesta ST

Focus ST

Focus RS

Mini Cooper
Best bang for buck modding is with the VW/Audi imo. Get an APR tune/reflash/downpipe for around $1k and gain like 100+whp/wtq
I actually don't like hatches, they look ugly imo.
That's why I know Golf R and Focus RS are superior AWD turbo 4 cars, but I don't like em much.
Though, When I did more digging into the German counterparts of STI, I found that surprisingly they're better than STI in various areas.
Thanks to all of you, I'm a less interested in the STI.
I wish there were more turbo cars that are reliable and reasonably priced.
I like the s3 a lot, but don't you think the automatic trans (paddle waddle) would be a little too boring coming from an s2k?

Does anyone know if those are actually fun? or are they nothing more than bragging rights on wheels?
[/quote]

I hate hatches too haha
Just was giving some perspective on the modding options if that matters a lot to you!
Unfortunately I think you might need to step back and figure out what you really want out of the car? Nicer interior? Faster? More space? Quieter? Better MPGs? Because going off the fun factor, the S2000 is going to be the most enjoyable hands down. Just personally speaking though, yes I think the S3 would be pretty boring.
I also don't have any experience with Shelbys save for what I've heard which is that they are stupid fast and handling is bleh
Old 05-07-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I absolutely love the DSG in my S3. I have my S2000 for weekend cruises, mountain blasts, and track days. For daily duties the S3 is perfect. I use the DSG manual mode probably 90% of the time.

What I enjoy is the car really feels like two cars in one. I leave the house and snake through the neighborhood in auto mode with the comfort throttle settings and shift points. Once the car warms up after a short drive I flip the car into sport throttle, paddles, and the intake/exhaust noises get louder. I then get to enjoy blasting away from traffic lights and zipping through traffic. The paddles and super fast shifts are fun, engaging, and enjoyable. Then if I get stuck in stop and go traffic I just put the car back into full auto mode.

Sometimes its nice to keep the car in manual mode in traffic so you can just hold a gear and creep along. To me, with the paddles, it feels just like driving a manual minus the clutch and hand rowing. I still feel engaged and in control of the car. I have yet to drive the S3 in commuter situations and missed the clutch and manually rowing gears. I've been driving manual cars as a primary daily for 14 years, so I really do not miss it.

This car is a grown up refined STI that is actually faster in a straight line and with a simple tune can be a low 12 sec car.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both.. stock cr and o8 sti.. only mod is blow off valve..
sti is a tourer.. maybe with upgraded chassis and suspension, the 16 sti is more jarring as a daily.. I've driven both back to back to back.. steering heavier in my cr and clutch effort is reduced.. then in sti, steering is light with heavy clutch.. torque is evident.. I think u need both.. sti to haul your crap and 4 other people.. s2k to rip, redline and +1 on s2k shifter.. -1 cuz I got to crawl out of it.. but if u had to choose, sti.. it is more useable.. I often drive 700 mile long drive stretches and torque and high end is on point. s is limited when u have a social life that includes more then 2 people.. sti 95000 miles.been trouble free until last month. be careful with high moisture areas.. just replaced rusted shut primary and secondary bank valves, and air pump.. emmisions thing.. very costly. 2 k at dealer.. cars all good now..
Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

C5 Z06 is the answer. You can get one with relatively low mileage in the mid 20s and run 11s with bolt-ons, AND take it to the track and run it all day long.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by strongesthiro
Straight line speed exhilarating! Exhaust noise is intoxicating! Slow depreciation.
Handling is rubbish, daily use is back jarring, interior is bleh.
It's the only car I've driven that I felt was trying to kill me...
I love it! 2010 or newer though.
You may have more fun with newer 5.0 Mustang GT with independent rear suspension and an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Back-roads fun: S2000.

Long distance/touring: Subaru Legacy 3.6R with the Eyesight system. The 3.6R engine will out accelerate just about anyone who isn't paying attention (!) and the adaptive cruise control is wonderful. Conservative style is under the radar but the Valentine 1 sits on the dash.

--Chuck
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
C5 Z06 is the answer. You can get one with relatively low mileage in the mid 20s and run 11s with bolt-ons, AND take it to the track and run it all day long.
Where are you seeing C6 Z06's in the mid 20's? Even high mileage 06's around here are still low 30's.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower

Where are you seeing C6 Z06's in the mid 20's? Even high mileage 06's around here are still low 30's.
He said C5 Z06.

That said I've seen a few 06s with high mileage (read 150k) being offered in the mid 20s as well.

Quick Reply: Should I switch from 06 S2k to '16 STI?