Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I get an ILX or an ATS

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I got the car. Everything worked out well. I actually ended up financing a bit of it, since Cadillac had a special .9% financing rate on certified cars. I figured, what the hell. I'll use some of the cash to buy some more stock in one of the many automotive companies that can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar (scam, recall, or killing people-wise). Haha.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Congrats!!!

And excellent choice on the partial financing. 0.9% is essentially like being given free money. My take is that as long as the financing rate is lower than the average 3% rate of inflation, then you get to pay them with money in the future that has less buying power.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I got the car. Everything worked out well. I actually ended up financing a bit of it, since Cadillac had a special .9% financing rate on certified cars. I figured, what the hell. I'll use some of the cash to buy some more stock in one of the many automotive companies that can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar (scam, recall, of killing people-wise). Haha.
OH MY GOD, DO I REALLY HAVE TO SAY IT???

Photographic Proof or perhaps we don't believe it!

Also, .9% financing FTW, I woulda financed the whole enchilada, I get more interest than that from my online savings account!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Congrats, sir!! Very happy for you and nice job on the .9% financing. Need more pictures and driving impressions soon.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:46 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm fairly proud of the .9 financing. The sales guy told me that no one qualifies for it because you need impeccable credit. But I knew I'd qualify so I got be a smug little punk about it. Haha.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm bragging, but when I turned 18 I learned that my scumbag parents had stolen my identity and wrecked my credit. It took a lot of money and time to fix that, so I'm proud of having a good credit score.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's great! I love when they are shocked you qualify for the rate! Got 0 on the last car purchase on a special deal.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 PM

It is surprisingly hard to take a pic of the heads-up display. I love the HUD in my Corvette, but it's very primitive by comparison. This one shows the normal stuff like speed, but it also works with the lone departure and collision avoidance deal, so if I get too close to someone, it changes colors (and the seat vibrates). I wasn't aware it did this until I got cut off, but it's actually a really cool feature. Plus it shows me which song I'm on when I use the steering wheel controls to cycle through iTunes.

I freaking love the stereo. I have't figured out all the bells and whistles of the entertainment system, but I totally love it. I also like that it doesn't have real buttons on the center stack. It's just touch sensitive metal doodads. The aluminum interior trim is slick. The seats are great, too. They are a bajillion way adjustable, including making the bolsters move in and out. They can really pinch my love handles. Haha. I can set the seat really low, which I like.

The handling is freaking great. I can get the back end a little loose around turns, it's predictable and stable, it's just very European (except with a harsher ride) in that regard. I've always felt like BMW suspension was like jumping on a memory foam pillow that was left out in the cold. It's firm, but not jarring. Well, the ATS is a bit more jarring, but that's more to my liking. Since it has magnetic suspension, I can soften it up, but I really like the stiffer setting. The car feels pretty light on its feet. Obviously, my Corvette has far higher cornering limits, but I feel like I have no idea where the edge of the cliff is (I haven't tracked my Vette yet). This car feels intuitive.

Lastly, it's surprising quick, and it's torquey. It is perfect for low speed lane changes, which I unfortunately have to do in Dallas traffic (but I can't complain. At least our traffic moves a little)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM

Oh, one negative thing is that every single ATS V6 that I have driven has had the paint on the engine cover worn off and they all idle a little rougher than you'd expect. I don't care, personally, but my wife's Acura is definitely a bit more refined in that sense. But my eyes are wide open. I feel like GM did a great job on this car and, in some respects, beat the Europeans at their own game. But it's not completely without its GM peculiarities. Haha.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like you're enjoying it. Certainly more interesting then anything Honda makes.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice!

Quick Reply: Should I get an ILX or an ATS