Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I get an ILX or an ATS

Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

What dealer? That is messed up. Hope it's not Sewell. I would be pretty bummed.

Were you going to pull the trigger on the ATS?

So, I love and do pay cash for cars. However, if you have $30k to pay cash for a car, how much would it hurt to spend $35-40k by financing just a little bit and REALLY get a car you'd love to daily drive like a Chevy SS or some other cool powerful DD that other people have recommended in this thread that was out of your original price range?

I'm about as debt adverse as they come (besides mortgage), but you're just barely outside the window of some really fun and cool cars. Something to mildly consider if you want.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You should have walked and told them you were buying out of state this weekend now.

That would have solved it.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
You should have walked and told them you were buying out of state this weekend now.

That would have solved it.

Oh, I did walk. I wanted the car pretty bad, but I wasn't going to deal with that. I didn't stick around to negotiate. I stuck around to take out my frustrations on the guy. It was very mature of me. Haha. But the totally didn't care that I was leaving. I think my salesman was upset, and he called to apologize later. But the manager who drew my ire was probably happy to see my taillights.

To be completely fair, the price on the car was already pretty good, and I was willing to pay full asking price if I had to just because the car was so clean. But they knocked some money off the car, and then they added some money back in.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
What dealer? That is messed up. Hope it's not Sewell. I would be pretty bummed.

Were you going to pull the trigger on the ATS?

So, I love and do pay cash for cars. However, if you have $30k to pay cash for a car, how much would it hurt to spend $35-40k by financing just a little bit and REALLY get a car you'd love to daily drive like a Chevy SS or some other cool powerful DD that other people have recommended in this thread that was out of your original price range?

I'm about as debt adverse as they come (besides mortgage), but you're just barely outside the window of some really fun and cool cars. Something to mildly consider if you want.

The dealership on Saturday was Sewell. I went in to look at this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3928/overview/

The red interior is great. I love it. A little cheesy, but I love it nonetheless. The car is not nearly as nice as it looks in the pics (which don't look perfect to begin with). Whoever owned that car drove behind a rock hauler for a few years, because the front end was just jacked up. A billion rock chips. Beyond that, the car very evidently had hail damage that had been poorly repaired. And a bunch of door dings. It was really just ragged on. It drove nice, the interior was nice, but the exterior was just bad. They COMPLETELY mislead me about the condition. My standard spiel is that if I get there and find out the car sucks, then I'm out. They assured me it looked good. Nope.

That was annoying. This is the one I had a deal worked out on (or so I thought) https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1703/overview/, only to arrive and have them try to play the four square game. The guy gave me the whole, "Your payments would be this at 4%, this much at 6%, this much at 9%, so sign right here and we'll get it cleaned up for you,": speech. I said, "Are you drunk or something? We have a deal. Walk me back to the finance office so I can sign the contract. Then the manager came out. Then the heated argument ensued."

I'm just super pissed because we have a trial on a big case down in Corpus next week, so everyone is expected to be working a ton, yet I took off an hour early to go get doinked around by a car dealer. Again, my fault. I should've just walked as soon as they said the first stupid thing.

As far as getting a different car, I appreciate the suggestion, but I really don't want to spend more than $30k. Plus, the more I drive the ATS, the more I like it. I could maybe bend the rules a bit. I'll have to think about it.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Also, on the second one, they don't say on Cars.com that it's certified. On their website they have it listed as certified. I learned that it was "pending certification" and then they tried to move that around in their little shell game.

The guy told me he wanted me to buy the car, then they would certify it, which would take a day. I asked him what would happen if the car got damaged while I owned it but they were still doinking around with it. "Well, your insurance would have to cover it." Beam me up, Scotty. No signs of intelligent life in this em-effer. Haha.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 AM

That is messed up. I haven't ever heard anything good or bad about Crest (now I know they suck obviously and won't ever go there) and I'm really surprised Sewell didn't properly represent the car's condition. Very weird as they normally only stock good used inventory, etc.

What a mess. Hope you find something soon and you quit getting jerked around.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 AM

Yeah, my boss has purchased numerous cars from Sewell (that I "get" to help him with), and they've always been incredibly professional. However, all of his vehicles were from the Dallas location. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:42 AM

I deal with Sewell Grapevine and that is where we test drove the new and used ATS cars and where I got my '12 V serviced. All very pleasant and professional. So, I guess you just got a 1% car and salesman that didn't verify condition before you headed over. I deal with Jeff Jafferi over there. He's an older Indian gentlemen and incredibly nice and professional. Zero pressure and very easy and smart. He's sold Cadillac for 20 years and knows his stuff. I dropped my V off with him over a year ago when my corporate lease was up and spent about 15-20 easy minutes with him returning the car and signing a form or two. That was the first and only time I had ever met him.

So, two weekends ago I show up unannounced and ask for him to drive the ATS since I liked him with the lease return the year before. When I meet him a minute later, he says "You're the gentleman that dropped off that white CTS-V last year with me on the lease return." I was like, what?!!? How does he remember that. I was very impressed.

Anyway, if you deal with Sewell Grapevine again, I'd use him based on my experience.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 AM

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 AM

The salesman from Crest called me this morning. The car just went through certification, so it is for-realsies certified now. I had him send me the paperwork to verify, and it checks out.

I spoke with a higher up manager and they agreed that what happened reflects poorly on them, and they agreed to honor the original deal. They also said that they'd bring all the paperwork to me, etc.

Looking at the price, objectively speaking / trying to forget the fact that I'm pissed off at these guys, it's a very fair price. I can find plenty of non-certified versions with more mileage for more money. All in all, it seems like a fair deal.

Now I just need to decide if I'm willing to give them my money. I'm getting what I wanted at a fair price, and aside from a little curb rash on the wheels, the car is spotless. I'm not sure if I'm going to swallow my pride and chalk it up to, "d-bags gonna d-bag" and make the deal, or if I'm going to pass on a good deal since they're being jerks.

Quick Reply: Should I get an ILX or an ATS