Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I build a fast AWD Civic or buy something else? Any input welcome.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:25 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

I love EG hatches and my first fun car was a GS-R swapped EG Hatch. That being said, I'm not sure how much I actually want an EG Hatch now. I do, theoretically, but in reality idk how much I do. When cars become modded like that, they're a pain to use unless the only thing you're doing is going for a drive.

I think the C6 z06 fits the bill the best. Do you care about being competitive at anything?
Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
a couple of IMO's (in no particular order)
GT4RS is the best car in the bunch but I don't believe you can get one (used or new) for less than 200K the next 5 years. right now the price is higher than a 675LT or (used) 720S (both are 10sec 1/4 mile cars). I'd rather get 720S or 675LT for that money (or used one of the following: Aventador, 458, 488, Huracan, F12, etc). GT4RS doesn't run 10sec 1/4 mile. modding it to get 10sec would KILL resale value.

add Viper to the list? although it will try to kill you.
why not 911 turbo? cheap(ish), easy to add power.

lastly, since you brought it up, an exotic DOES NOT get women's attention. 99% attention you get is from teenage boys and other men. If you want women's attention, a puppy gets 20X+ than the exotic.
I specifically don't want women's attention. Haha. I've only got eyes for Mrs.E.G. :-)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
I love EG hatches and my first fun car was a GS-R swapped EG Hatch. That being said, I'm not sure how much I actually want an EG Hatch now. I do, theoretically, but in reality idk how much I do. When cars become modded like that, they're a pain to use unless the only thing you're doing is going for a drive.

I think the C6 z06 fits the bill the best. Do you care about being competitive at anything?

I want to get into time attack. But I honestly like working on cars more than driving, though I like both. I'm hoping if I build a world-beater I can convince QUICKAG to go set some lap records with it. I'm kidding... mostly.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:37 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub

I hear ya, a few years back I wanted an EG hatch with ITR engine/tranny swap, but the ones I seen were well aged and the last one I test drove had a hole in the driver side floor pan - ala Fred Flintstone style. I ended up buying an 89 EF Hatch with ITR engine/ tranny swap, but at that age the rust was catching up with it fast, the chassis was a wet noodle compared to today's cars, and the dream I had in my head never matched the end product given the ages of the cars.
When I was really young my uncle took me for a high speed drive in his 74 Corvette, I was in love. I spent the next 20 years dreaming of buying a 74 Corvette. By the time I got out of school and got a job I started looking at 70's Corvettes, but by that time they were 30-40 years old, and they smelled bad, drove bad, and rarely looked good. Time will do that to you every time.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:37 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I hear you, but I like both for different reasons. If I went crazy on a Civic, I wouldn't even need to think about how much it cost. A McLaren would be the most I've spent on a car, so that's a different story. That said, I have a pretty respectable income, job stability, savings enough to live off of for years if the economy tanked, a paid-off house and cars, an 850 credit score, and no debt. So, my inner poor kid might get queasy as I hand over the cash for a $100k+ car, but it wouldn't make a material difference in my quality of life or anything. I wouldn't even think of doing something like this is I had to stretch or if I couldn't comfortably buy a toy car and pay for braces for the kids and all that.

Then again, it's never a bad idea to not spend a bunch of money. :-)
You don't have to be the richest guy in the cemetery ? lol
Old 02-06-2023, 07:55 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

I want to get into time attack. But I honestly like working on cars more than driving, though I like both. I'm hoping if I build a world-beater I can convince QUICKAG to go set some lap records with it. I'm kidding... mostly.
Have you done any track driving, time attack, or anything competitive? I don't mind working on a car if it's the off season and I have time to plan stuff out and do it leisurely. I like planning out and building mods. Worrying about crap breaking and fixing stuff when you're focused on driving and competing sucks. You end up doing crappy fixes just to get back out on the track too. When you're paying for seat time, traveling, have spent time prepping the car, $$$, it really sucks if you're there and not able to drive. If you don't have experience, it's also really bad for learning. Absolutely hate dealing with broken crap when I should be driving. It doesn't matter how well you build the EG your talking about, it is going to go through teething pains and it's going to break. If you and the car are both going through teething pains to start you off in competitive driving, it's not going to be fun unless you're a way different person than me.

I'd love to build up an EG like what you're talking about if I had another functional, easy to maintain track car. I'd also have to be able to afford both comfortably and be able to track the track car at least once a month, if not more. So if you can swing an EG hatch and a stock-ish Z06, that'd be my bet. I don't think a clean EG shell or a clean c6z is going to go down in price much. I think you'd use something like a C6Z much more than the EG unless you have or plan to have other fun cars in the stable too.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

It might literally. :-)
Sequentials sound like Heaven to me. Love the things.

In your list of cars, since you mentioned adding FI to the 86/BRZ. Why not the Supra? 55k, takes to mods extremely well. Modded it’s a supercar like the M2C. Speaking of M2C, you mod that f’er, oh my.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:17 AM

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Sounds to me that you really like the idea of building that AWD Civic. I say go for it. You can buy lots of cars, but if you are really into the idea of the project itself and having something a bit different in the end, then you are only going to get that one way
Old 02-07-2023, 06:14 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Tommy makes a good point. Get the ZF or six-speed Supra and mod it out. That engine responds well and is solid. Pricing isn't crazy. May have to call around to find a non-sleazy Toyota dealer in DFW to get an order in.

Otherwise, I'd do the hatch or C6 Z06. How to decide between the two is local shops that can work on either of them and what kind of example of each you can find. The choice should become clear at that point. I know some good local shops to work on the Vette, not sure about the Honda?

You do seem most passionate about a Civic, but it would have less usability overall than a clean C6 Z06, i.e. your wife is more likely to ride in the Vette than a F&F Hatch.

McLaren will be a major money pit most likely and you'll hate it. MP4-12C do not have a good reliability record at all. Heard some horror stories from owners themselves on them.

Need to do lunch again soon!
Old 02-07-2023, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I build an AWD J35 SH awd civic. I loved it. Like you I was in my mid 30's and always wanted to build an amazing awd EG civic and finially had the money to do it. I have sense sold the car and if I did it again I would do a k24 with a power goal of 600 whp and just enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Should I build a fast AWD Civic or buy something else? Any input welcome.