Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should BMW/Mercedes offer de-contented cars?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navigation, power windows, a/c, sunroof, stability/traction control/abs, mp3 capability. Thats all I need.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with the OP. Seriously what does a 5-setting cruise control add? It sure isn't convenience.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Nov 9 2009, 10:09 AM]I don't need four wheel steering, I don't need proximity locks on my rear doors, I don't need a HUD that shows me where pedestrians are at night, etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Nov 9 2009, 01:50 PM
Absolutely not. These cars should be built with no compromises. They are all out top of the line, cutting edge technology. It should be the case that they continually push the status quo. As an aside, I feel that these cars should only come in one trim and options should be limited to color/material choices, not equipment. Make everything standard and just increase the price. Once again, no compromises.

The companies should work on getting their gadgetry reliable rather than looking to add new things.

I completely understand the need for wanting a big car that drives great. But they should offer a submodel. Offering a stripped 7 series is pretty weak. It's part of the experience to have a car that does X, Y, and Z. I hate how commercials show a car doing something special, offering it as a huge advertising point, only to find that it's a $10k option. That's ridiculous. Make it all standard and be done with it. If people can't afford it, they should find a new car.

These thoughts apply only to top of the line models. Things like C classes should offer options.
Well, looking at how these cars get complaints from time to time about some of the electro-gizmos going awry, it sounds like there were compromises being made that led to the problems.

Some people are taking this idea a bit too far, as if offering a de-contended is going to drop a bomb on the company's innovation or whatnot. They can still be cutting edge, innovating and advancing automotive technology. What, the idea of somebody buying an S-class without the radar-activated butt massaging seats is going to make Mercedes-Benz's engineers cry out "NOOO!!!! SOMEONE DIDN'T WANT OUR TECHNOLOGY! SHUT DOWN THE R&D DEPARTMENT! WE CAN NO LONGER CONTINUE ADVANCEMENT OF THE AUTOMOBILE!!" and then jump out a window.

Maybe somebody just wants a big ass luxury land yacht without having the higher sticker price due to prepackaged electronic fluff? I think it sounds like a fantastic idea.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:35 PM

The 7 and S class are test beds and showcase cars for their respective makers.

They are usually the first to get redesigned and the others in the lineup follow suit incorporating features found on the bigger cars. The problem I have seen is they are often overengineered and have unique/interesting workarounds for common problems that eventually leads to costly repairs... but then again, they are German.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM

7 days out of 365 if not that bad if you ask me, less than 2% of the time ... I am sure they provide with a loaner car too.

J
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

this is the reason why I LOVe the s2k engineering. its 10 years old but still works great - its simple, simple, simple. nothing you dont need is on the car!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Nov 9 2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe somebody just wants a big ass luxury land yacht without having the higher sticker price due to prepackaged electronic fluff? I think it sounds like a fantastic idea.
Then they can buy a different car. Part of the appeal of these cars is excess. Just make all the technology standard and be done with it. Those who can't afford it/don't want it can look elsewhere.

If people don't want to pay an extra $1k for option X, tough. Buy a different car. I'd like a new Z4 roadster soft top for $5k less than the hard top. But they don't make them like that. I'd also like a Cayman S, but can they offer it with cheap upholstery, minimum safety standards, no passenger seat, etc etc and bring it down $20k?

I tire of seeing a car presented a certain way, only to discover it's a bunch of options. It also makes it a headache to shop for used cars. However, like I said, I can see offering a stripped one with no options and making it a different trim. That should solve all the problems.

Further, you can bet that if the electronics were all standard equipment, reliability of the electronics would increase.

Well, looking at how these cars get complaints from time to time about some of the electro-gizmos going awry, it sounds like there were compromises being made that led to the problems.
I have no idea why you put this in response to me. Please point me to where I said no compromises are made on these cars. I try to take great care in drafting my posts. I understand I can and do make mistakes. Despite this, I ask that you please take care when reading them.

Some people are taking this idea a bit too far, as if offering a de-contended is going to drop a bomb on the company's innovation or whatnot. They can still be cutting edge, innovating and advancing automotive technology. What, the idea of somebody buying an S-class without the radar-activated butt massaging seats is going to make Mercedes-Benz's engineers cry out "NOOO!!!! SOMEONE DIDN'T WANT OUR TECHNOLOGY! SHUT DOWN THE R&D DEPARTMENT! WE CAN NO LONGER CONTINUE ADVANCEMENT OF THE AUTOMOBILE!!" and then jump out a window.
I also did not make the contention of an R&D department shutting down. However, you said "some people." Therefore, rather than directly argue against it, I will merely point out that I did not present such an idea. I do agree with you here.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

If the S Class and 7 Series are too complex, there's always the Hyundai Genesis, which is very nice, luxurious, and comfortable but w/o too much leading-edge fluff. That would be my choice.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't get it.
If you want bare bone cars, there are Lotus, Porsche, Honda, Toyota.
why must one buy Benz and BMW?

Quick Reply: Should BMW/Mercedes offer de-contented cars?