Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should BMW/Mercedes offer de-contented cars?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs up Should BMW/Mercedes offer de-contented cars?

I was talking with a friend who has a three-year old S Class, and he's looking to sell it before the warranty is up. He claims it is in the shop about a week each year he's had it. We got to talking about the car's problems, and it was nothing mechanical, just all the electronic gadgets and other filigree that seems to break, costing him a week of shop time each year.

This is the same story I've gotten from som BMW 7 owners I've talked to, and I've experienced it with my old Audi. The cars have great engines and drive great, but some non-essential system breaks, and you have to take the car in and pay some ridiculous bill.

I don't need four wheel steering, I don't need proximity locks on my rear doors, I don't need a HUD that shows me where pedestrians are at night, etc. I'd love to see a 7 Series or S Class for $10k-$15k less without all this stuff if I just want a nice big car.

What do you think? Rather than buy an $80k 7 Series with stuff you don't really need, would you buy one for $65k-70k that focused on the car and the driving experience? Or, do people expect all these extras on a large car anymore?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like them to but I can't see it happening.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 AM

I like the idea, but it won't happen with a 7 series. I can see this for cars that are more performance based (hence the new M3 GTS). However, the 7 series is the luxury flagship BMW model. It is expected that it has all the latest and greatest gadgets.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guy a 7 series for all the gadgets
Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Nov 9 2009, 01:39 PM
you guy a 7 series for all the gadgets
That's the case now - shame you can't just buy a BMW for its driving capability anymore.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Yeah, it's too bad the standard model is bigger vehicle, more performance almost means more content. The exception seems to be a with a few de-contented performance models and some trucks/SUV.

Back in the 60's it was kind of like you're suggesting, where everything was an option so you could pick your basic platform and add nothing, or upgrade all the available doodads, or even go toward a set of performance options.

Now everything scales up. BMW and Lexus both add in tons of options on some of their products _just_ because it has a larger engine.

I'm sure there's some production constraints because now there are 100,000 options on some rides and it's probably way too complex (either at production or supply chain).
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the gadgets aren't needed they are nice in some ways. It would be nice if the German manufactures would spend as much time making their gadgets work as they do their engines. It seems to me that you can have your cake and eat it too. A big, nice car is differentiated from just a big car by the extras.

Audi, BMW, and Merc have had electrical gremlins for years wayyy before HUDs and proximity locks. I don't believe it's anything to do with number of gadgets.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 AM

I don't think you are gonna see it with the bigger ones. 7 Series, CLS, A8, there is not a market for it. Now the smaller cars, yes there is a need, but not many people buy the big cars for "the driving experience," they want the opposite, a comfort experience that makes them tolerate driving much better.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not. These cars should be built with no compromises. They are all out top of the line, cutting edge technology. It should be the case that they continually push the status quo. As an aside, I feel that these cars should only come in one trim and options should be limited to color/material choices, not equipment. Make everything standard and just increase the price. Once again, no compromises.

The companies should work on getting their gadgetry reliable rather than looking to add new things.

I completely understand the need for wanting a big car that drives great. But they should offer a submodel. Offering a stripped 7 series is pretty weak. It's part of the experience to have a car that does X, Y, and Z. I hate how commercials show a car doing something special, offering it as a huge advertising point, only to find that it's a $10k option. That's ridiculous. Make it all standard and be done with it. If people can't afford it, they should find a new car.

These thoughts apply only to top of the line models. Things like C classes should offer options.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my BMW's for all the tech stuff in them. Someone needs to keep making advances. I wouldn't have bought them if ithey didin't. I want it all, the driving and the tech.

Quick Reply: Should BMW/Mercedes offer de-contented cars?