Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SHO

Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think reliability is becoming very comparable but until that perception changes, resale value will continue to be an issue when it comes down to the true cost to own.

I like this car. If I was in the market for a full sized car I would definitely consider it. After supplies catch up, this car will sell for upper 30's all day long and be more or less in line with what loaded Maximas or stripped TL's sell for. I love how everyone hates on it but would think nothing of paying $40K for one of those.

and on a side note, to me, anyone who isn't at least in their mid-twenties can't even have a credible opinion on reliability because they couldn't have owned enough cars for a long enough period of time to have any opinion that based on first hand experience. Most of the time they're just regurgitating what they've read or heard second hand.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Nov 20 2009, 03:54 PM
I wasn't bashing it. I was agreeing with what others had said, even you, regarding non-subjective elements like how the engine was constructed. You didn't "call me out" from my end, I freely admitted I hadn't driven it because it wasn't on my shopping list. Wow, such hard-hitting investigations you pull off over the internet!

You've only ever owned one RWD car in your life. And it clearly was the fastest car you've ever had. Cars your father has owned are not relevant for what should be obvious reasons - they aren't yours. You've mostly owned FWD inline fours. How do you think that experience, combined with driving a gokart, has really given you the ability to pass judgement on anyone? You've got a very limited resume there, yet one wouldn't know it by the way you go on as if you have direct experience of things you primarily know about second hand or out of a book. That's not to say you have nothing to offer, but tone a it down a bit. The S2000 was the most powerful car you've ever owned. And the only RWD car. You ever think of mixing it up a bit? Living a little? You might learn something and perhaps enjoy yourself if you ever got away from small underpowered FWD cars from Honda. Very big of you to try out a VW and a pickup, but there is more out there.

Rentals are crap, which I'm sure you ought to know by now. They have base everything. And they are beat to hell. Comparing a rental car to ownership experience is like hiring a hooker to see what it's like to be married.
You were bashing it, plain and simple.

I raced cars faster than my S2000 before I ever owned it (WAY before I ever owned it, in fact). I've been in cars that would blow your mind, including Mark Messier's 911 Turbo way back in the day (first car I was in that would go flat sideways if you stomped the throttle in third gear). In June I tracked a 380 rwhp Porsche 944 Turbo S widebody race car for a full session. I drove the NSX back in the 90s and had a blast. When's the last time you did anything like that? Dismissing a car because I don't own it is retarded. If I've driven it and experienced it, it's far more relevant that your "experience" (selective reading).

I've raced on ice, on asphalt, on dirt (dirtbikes), and been a car nut my entire life. I'd say I'm at least qualified to talk about cars regardless of their motor size, weight, drivetrain layout, or purpose. I've driven just about all of them. Doesn't make me the fastest but it does make me somewhat experienced compared to the average car nut.

However, I don't belong to a union and I don't read every car magazine so I'm obviously not up to your level of experience, expertise, or knowledge.

The Fusion I rented was top of the line - leather interior, heated seats, Sirius Radio, biggest alloys, etc, etc. It was a great car and it ran perfectly. That's why I liked it. Same went for the Accord - great car, great ride, very buttoned down.

I have owned small cars because:

1. I don't need a ton of power for our family car/my wife's car. We do 20K+ miles a year so fuel mileage is more important than beating the vehicle next to me to the next stop light.

2. I don't like to pay a ton of money for a depreciating asset that is purely a tool (ie, basic transportation) for my family.

3. I can use an S2000 to 80% of its capability on the street and not really break the law. It was also squarely in my preferred budget range and it was quick enough to keep me smiling. Sure, it got slow after a while but it always kept a smile on my face.

4. The VW was my college car and a gift from my Dad. It was a great car to beat on and was cheap to run (despite the exhaust flex pipe constantly breaking).

5. I have a wide group of friends and family that have all kinds of cars. I was exporting cars for a while so I got to drive a wide variety then as well. I get to try a lot of cars, plain and simple.

Let's see your car and racing resume.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=NuncoStr8,Nov 20 2009, 01:40 PM] You can look up the methodology of these companies on your own.