Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ship S to Europe, buy S in Europe?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 213 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Ship S to Europe, buy S in Europe?

So, if you wanted to do a driving tour of Europe in an S, do you think its better to ship your car over (and back when you're done) or simply buy a Euro-spec S once you get there?

I'd imagine the shipping costs alone would make it more feasible to buy something local, but I figured I'd throw this out to the board.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this hypothetical? If not, I now have something to post in the Envy thread!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you be able to bring back the Euro-spec S to the states? If so, that would be a sweet option.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rent-a-car
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW European delivery
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by North Star
Would you be able to bring back the Euro-spec S to the states? If so, that would be a sweet option.
With USD to Euro/GBP exchange rates, I wouldn't think of buying an S2000 there and bringing it home. Plus, the S2000 globally is pretty much the same car. They do have more choices for exterior and interior colors though!

I would only purchase it in Europe if you knew you could sell it before you came home without taking a huge hit you would generally take *needing* to sell a car in a short time span. The 'hit' would have to be equal to or less than the price of shipping your car over and back. That being said, having and driving your own S2000 there would make the car just a little more special.

If I were to purchase a car in Europe for a driving tour, I'd consider something else that is fun and not available in the United States. Perhaps Civic Type-R if you were to go the Honda route?

How many people would be taking the trip? If more than 2, then the S2000 is already out of the equation. If two, hope the car has enough room for your luggage (and other items) for however long you are planning to stay.

I do remember a member on here that shipped his car from the US to Europe since he moved for work. Since I believe it was permanent, he had to convert his car to specifications required there so he needed the headlight washers and rear fog light. If you are considering this, I would look into if this is required for you to drive your car over there even if it's temporary.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM

As long as the "hit" you take on the re-sell was less than you would have spent for shipping the s2k back and forth, I would say that this is the better option.

The down side would be that it would not be your car, the one that you are used to driving. Another would be that any mods that you have done to the car to make it the way that you want it would not be there. So if the purpose of doing this is to fit a few of your favorite tracks, then possibly your car would be more enjoyable. Also, how much of your vacation would you want to spend buying and selling your car. Obviously, the longer you are staying there, the less of an issue that becomes.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 AM

I agree with Chris, buy a new car with euro delivery or rent.

Not to piss anyone off but you are used to certain things here in the US that do not work the same way in Europe. I rented an Audi A4 Avant and drove throughout Europe back in 2008, once in Paris I hit a pothole and damaged the 17" tire to the point that it could not be fixed. That, plus the fact that the Audi did not have a spare forced me to stay 3 extra days in Paris until a 17" tire was located through a BMW dealer. It was shipped from Germany as 17" tires are not an everyday thing I guess, this is Paris not just a small little town.

Imagine having any engine problems at all or even a tire failure. Better let Avis take care of it.

J
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM

I would think the round trip delivery costs would be easier to deal with then buying and selling a car. However, I would think you could negotiate an agreement with a Euro dealer to sell you a car, and buyit back at an agreed upon price. IOW, you'd pay the dealer for the depreciation and risk. Whether this is cheaper than shipping is only one consideration. Even if shipping is more expensive, the hassle of finding someone willing to make a deal for an acceptable price might be far more hassle than just paying a shipping company.