Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

shelby cobra prototype in latest motor trend...

Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DJSang
it's hideous...

it's still in its concept form. now how many concepts have you seen that are not more or less hideous.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Quick2K
I hope it dies as a concept...leave the shelby alone. we don't need or want a *new* cobra...the series one defiled the name enough already

Quick2k
why not?? i'm just excited that ford is taking the initiative in producing interesting high performance cars for a change. any car manufacturer that seriously takes the time and money into producing production performance vehicles to showcase their capablilities is more than okay in my book...

besides, honda resurrected the S roadster idea (from the s500, s600, and s800) to produce the s2000, but i don't see you complaining. as long as this car has worthy performance capabilities to carry the name, then i don't see what's so bad about it.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just think that the cobra really ought to be left alone. sure, the S has heritage, but it doesn't have the sort of following or heritage that the cobra enjoys.

I think Ford can't save itself from itself, so it's falling back to its old styling and standby models to stay alive. Besides, the cobra was never a FORD, it was a Shelby that used a Ford engine.

The GT looks cool, but it is NOT in the spirit of the original. if it were, it'd be kicking ass in the FIA GT class, but it's ineligible for that. Ford really dropped the ball there.

and the cobra? please. not impressed, and the shelbys of old are the only ones that are, or will, be worth coveting.

Quick2k
Old 02-02-2004, 03:22 AM

I rad that article as well. That car makes me WET. It's a shame I'll never be able to afford to buy, own or drive one in my lifetime...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:03 AM

Ford's latest concepts are cool, but at the same time their exterior styling is thoroughly predictable. This new Cobra is above average in looks for sure, but it's not spectacular IMO.

The whole thing looks like the beginnings of a new Cobra concept, but rather than finishing all the creases, bends and cuts, Ford designers took the panels out of the machine and then assembled it.

If anything, this Cobra concept stylistically links the new GT40 and Cobra into a new Ford performance heritage, courtesy of Shelby's past ideas.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:06 AM

I don't think the new concept has the spirit of the original car. First, it weighs 3200lbs - the original weighed 2100. Next, its ugly compared to the original. And lastly, it doesn't have the performance advantage relative to the market that the original car had. I'd drop 50k and get a used 5 liter AC MKIV before I bought one of those.

-Just my $.02

-Stephen
Old 02-02-2004, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTEC_Junkie
Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJSang
Old 02-03-2004, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spessx
I don't think the new concept has the spirit of the original car.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the Cobra prototype is exactly how ol' Shel wanted it? When the Viper was being developed, two of his criticisms were that he preferred a V-8 instead of a V-10 and the porky Viper needed to lose an extra 500 lbs.

It'll never replace the old Cobras, but I could get used to it.

Quick Reply: shelby cobra prototype in latest motor trend...