Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Seriously considering buying supercharged C5Z06

Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously considering buying supercharged C5Z06

Been a while since I've posted... life has gotten in the way of cars. However, I'm getting the itch again, and I want a new toy.

I'm not a big fan of modified cars, but a very interesting one has shown up in my neck of the woods. 2002 C5 Z06, heavily modified with a supercharger, coilovers, brakes, forged internals, clutch, diff, etc. etc. etc. I've checked it out, and talked with the owner and the shop that did the work extensively. These guys really seemed to know what they were doing, and the car is _tight_. Not rattly and shaky like other Z06es that I've been in. Oh, and it is _fast_. Over 700 hp at the rear wheels. However, it's tuned conservatively, to run on pump gas, pass emissions, and basically be like any other street car.

The owner is a complete perfectionist, and has spent big $$$$ on this car. Only reason that he's selling is because he wants a new project, and is going to buy a C6 Z06.

And, it's selling for a reasonable price. Less than a comparable mileage bone stock Z06.

The shop is close to my house and knows the car inside and out, so I'd have support when (not if) something breaks.

Anyone want to talk me out of this?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 AM

The shop is close to my house and knows the car inside and out, so I'd have support when (not if) something breaks
This is a very big plus... but 700HP is a little kooky right?

Look at it this way, certain things won't break, you will probably have to deal with constant engine management/electrical nonsense which if you have a AAA membership for towing and it will work out fine. Just make sure that you keep handy any tools in the car needed to remove front spoilers and whatnot when the flatbed shows up.

I'd get it before gasoline is $15/gallon. Enjoy.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want it, can you pass me the info?

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Something sounds off to me. He dumps probably $15-20k into a car making it perfect, then wants to sell it for no more than a completely stock car?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
If you don't want it, can you pass me the info?

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Once I decide whether I want to buy it or not. :-)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Something sounds off to me. He dumps probably $15-20k into a car making it perfect, then wants to sell it for no more than a completely stock car?
He's being realistic. Not many people want modified Vettes, especially Z06es. Most people want low mileage bone stock garage queens.

I've been looking at prices of modified Vettes lately. Mods add zero value, if not negative value.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 AM

i would take it in a heart beat. i miss torque. and the sound of a blower will far replace the sound of vtec.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's 30K or less yes, if it's closer to 50K, hell no. At the end of the day it's still a 20K old looking C5 vette with an awful interior.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

if you plan to sell any time soon, i would say HELLZ no..... any aftermarket supercharged car is probably a bitch to sell, no matter how many times you say how it was *babied*... lol..

have you driven the car? have you driven a stock C6 Z06? stock Z06's are efffing fast.... plus much easier to sell... plus reliable..... I personally would never buy someone's supercharged monster unless they practically gave it to me...

goodluck.... my viper has 550rwhp (roughly) and it won't stay planted with 345 michilin sport cups... how the hell are you gonna harness 700hp?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Well, car just sold, and not to me. That was fast; it was only on the market for about a week.

Too bad; I was thinking of making an offer this weekend.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering buying supercharged C5Z06