Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Seriously considering 2016 Camaro SS feedback welcome

Old 05-17-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

was in industrial sales to mostly small/med customers for years and enjoyed a lenient car policy ( drove a Taurus SHO,'95 ImpalaSS, Lincoln LS etc.

Customers break two ways -

Some are jealous and allude to your prices being to high etc...

Others think you're a winner/hero
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I've watched videos of the six-speed and it looks good. Quick, smooth gear changes. Get the 2SS, you'll be happy you did and will likely get most back with resale value.

We only have a thousand miles on our '16 Camaro SS and we've loved every mile. It really is a best of GM parts bin car that the Camaro team executed very well. Smooth and comfy when you want and firm and very fast when you want. Definitely get 2SS, mag ride, and dual mode exhaust. Those are must haves IMO.

So, perception.....some people do have preconceived notions of the Camaro. Mullet, red neck, white trash, poor mans Vette, young people's car etc. I firmly believe the 5th gen started to change that. It was a good car and a broader cross section drove them. The ZL1 and Z/28 moved them up market some too.

The 6th gen is that much better. It's smaller and tighter on the outside. It looks aggressive, but not boy racer. The interior is way better. Anyone that dismisses the Camaro will have a new appreciation after riding or driving in one. It's a sophisticated drive. The engine revs very easily and has an incredible tight small block snarl with the dual-mode exhaust. Suspension is supple and very balanced. Turn in is quick with direct steering. Settings adjust steering feel, suspension, exhaust sound, and shift quickness with automatic.

Interior has a lot of features and tech with HUD, heated/cooled seats, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, power everything, very comfy seats, surprisingly comfy seats. Even the ambient light is fun to play with and has 24 different colors including a show mode where it cycles through all the colors. It's gimmicky but still fun. Visibility really isn't bad when the seat is adjusted correctly. It does have blind spot monitor and that helps. The "pillbox" feel makes it feel like a cockpit and more special than a plebeian sports coupe. Many like it, some don't. We both like it.

So, back to perception. If you have a clean '16 Camaro SS in a classy color with good wheels and you step out of it in a nice business suit and walk up to your client, shake their hand with a firm handshake, look them in the eye, speak professionally and are friendly and competent, I am quite sure a new nice looking Camaro SS isn't going to hurt you at all. If you end up giving them a ride, it will likely help you close the sale. It's a fun car that can definitely spark conversation.

And if you let them do a burnout, you'll have a customer for life. Haha.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I can't see how diving a current camaro is going to hurt or benefit you situation over day a 3 series or whatever unless you're shuttling them around and do it in comfort. Like quikag said, don't get line rock green and you should be fine.

I like the camaro but I'm holding out to hear the long term cost of the lt1 engine. If this car had the ls3, I'd damn near be a grand slam home run. Right now it looks like bases loaded with your best hitter with a full count because of the engine.
Also I've read dealers are already discounting them so definitely search and haggle.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just read the Car and Driver review of the six cylinder version. Not to suggest that the OP do this, but the six may be a better choice for a lot of enthusiasts and not just a poser car. The six makes 335 HP, the car is about 200 pounds lighter, and does 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter in 13.7 with a manual. C&D claims the car handles very well, is light on its feet and steering feel is very good and communicative. It comes in under 3500 pounds which isn't bad these days.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I just read the Car and Driver review of the six cylinder version. Not to suggest that the OP do this, but the six may be a better choice for a lot of enthusiasts and not just a poser car. The six makes 335 HP, the car is about 200 pounds lighter, and does 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter in 13.7 with a manual. C&D claims the car handles very well, is light on its feet and steering feel is very good and communicative. It comes in under 3500 pounds which isn't bad these days.

But how will people know of my large penis?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
While I am sure the 6 is a fine motor and the car is a lot of fun, if you had the means, I don't know why you would pass on the 8. At some point you aren't gonna be able to buy 6.2 liter NA v8s anymore and you are gonna regret not getting the 8. That's just my 0.02

Even with an extra 200 lbs, 455hp is in another league from 335hp...
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1463577561' post='23969966

But how will people know of my large penis?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^No one here cares lol, but I think I should take a test drive this summer for the new Camaro SS..even though I can't afford one yet.

Imagine it would be a lot different than an S2000, but I wonder if I'd like it as much or more. If I could afford to swap the engine in..or maybe an ls3.. maybe that would be even better. But that's too much work and a shop would charge a killing. $35,000 for an SS seems like it would be a great deal..would be quite tempting closer to the base V8 or maybe at or slightly below invoice..then I'd possibly be contemplating a purchase. Can't even remotely afford one optioned up though, and a nicer C6 Z06 could be had in that range.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1463577561' post='23969966
While I am sure the 6 is a fine motor and the car is a lot of fun, if you had the means, I don't know why you would pass on the 8. At some point you aren't gonna be able to buy 6.2 liter NA v8s anymore and you are gonna regret not getting the 8. That's just my 0.02

Even with an extra 200 lbs, 455hp is in another league from 335hp...

That's pretty much true about everything though. You can always pick between the lower and higher powered versions. And many people do go with the smaller engine. While I feel the same as you, I could see going with the six if you are a person who isn't likely to exploit the V-8's power very often. A 5.1 0-60 is plenty quick enough for most people, even enthusiasts. And some of us prefer handling over power.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM

Usually the slower model is just that, slow, but the v6 is genuinely quick. Rentals are gonna be so funless now.

Keep in mind the base ss comes standard with what's called the performance package on the mustang, like the bigger brakes etc. Ugh great car but di scares me.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering 2016 Camaro SS feedback welcome