Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Seriously considering 2016 Camaro SS feedback welcome

Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seriously considering 2016 Camaro SS feedback welcome

Please don't turn this into a bash fest as we so often do. Positive and negative criticism are welcome though.

After owning 3 s2000s (none were daily driven) and a bunch of boring cars in the past (Passat, Mazda 6 v6, accord, crv, Acura TL-S, etc) I've decided to consolidate down to one car for spirited drive and daily duty.

So, I test drove a WRX and hated it. It literally was a what I thought, a turboed econobox. No hate, the AWD is fantastic and it has tuning potential, plus good resale value. I can tell immediately that I would get bored very quickly.

Just for fun I decided to test the 2016 camaro SS and 2016 corvette stingray. Wow what an intoxicating drive, the sounds, the torque, the comfort, and the technological amenities/toys. I loved it!

My only 2 issues are: they only had a camaro in the 8-speed auto (I drove a 7 spd manual corvette) so I'm unsure how the standard 6-speed gearbox feels/engages/holds up. Auto is not an option for me. The 7 speed manual on the vette was fantastic, great clutch engagement and crisp shifts.

My other issue is trim: the 1SS and 2SS trims have a few differences that I can't decide between. The trims come in at a $5k difference, for that $5k you get: a heads-up display standard (not option on 1SS), leather interior is standard (not option on 1SS), a better sound system over stock, some other bits and pieces.

My initial thought is to do the 2SS or I might look back and regret it. The only other options that I'm adding are the magnetic ride control (so cool), dual mode exhaust (cut-outs to stay quiet until desired), black bow ties. There is a cool ambient lighting package, but it's just another gimmick.

When dealing with the dealership, can I leverage them to add bits from the part department? Like the wing/front lip?

For anyone that is/was going to ask, I love the look of the new mustang and its capabilities AND its price point. But, the camaro seems to offer A LOT for the price, the tried and tested corvette motor, award winning ATS chassis, mag ride control, etc. I'd love to hear feedback both positive and negative. Im concerned about ability to drive in light snow, and more importantly resale value. Also, I'm in sales and often meet clients, producers out for lunch/appointments, and I'm slightly concerned how my appearance will be perceived (other cars that I'm considering are Acura TLX/ Lexus IS350 awd).

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm guessing you have already seen this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...ance-to-drive/

I've not driven the new Camaro, but on paper (and the reviews) all seem to indicate it is a very good car. Personally I am not a huge fan of the styling, I think it's a little over the top... much prefer the more subdued styling of the Mustang and even the Challenger (if we're comparing domestic muscle cars).

At the end of the day, I think it would be a very fun daily... but certainly in a different segment when compared to the S2000 and other driver focused/lightweight cars. Also, I assume the average non-car person would see the Camaro as a little bit of an immature/boy racer type of car when compared to the other cars your are considering. If those perceptions are important to you (and your ability to do your job), I would think that looking at the Cadillac ATS/CTS line would give you alot of what you like about the Camaro but with a more upscale feel. Something to consider.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I'm guessing you have already seen this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...ance-to-drive/

I've not driven the new Camaro, but on paper (and the reviews) all seem to indicate it is a very good car. Personally I am not a huge fan of the styling, I think it's a little over the top... much prefer the more subdued styling of the Mustang and even the Challenger (if we're comparing domestic muscle cars).

At the end of the day, I think it would be a very fun daily... but certainly in a different segment when compared to the S2000 and other driver focused/lightweight cars. Also, I assume the average non-car person would see the Camaro as a little bit of an immature/boy racer type of car when compared to the other cars your are considering. If those perceptions are important to you (and your ability to do your job), I would think that looking at the Cadillac ATS/CTS line would give you alot of what you like about the Camaro but with a more upscale feel. Something to consider.
Yes I read that thread. Def helped out. At the end of the day if image becomes a debilitating issue, I can grab a cheap DD for appointments. But I'm not that worried about it.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

So first off, I'm always saddened by people deciding for or against a car based on the public perception. People that jump to conclusions about who you are based on the car you drive are almost always wrong. I drive four different vehicles and they all generate different assumptions by others about who I am. I can't be all four, can I? I say ignore that crap, but if you can't live with it, you can't. In your case, I'd use the car as a discussion piece when you go out to meet people for work. It gives you an opportunity to explain the features and technology and value proposition of the car. Plus it was on opportunity to buy
American. I find that you can turn what someone might perceive as a negative into a positive.

Second, after reading your post I'm feeling bad that I didn't go out of my way to get a test drive while I was at the dealership a couple of months ago. It sounds great and I'm very impressed that a three time S2000 owner has such a positive reaction to the driving experience. Can you tell us how you felt in the cabin? Did you suffer from the "pill box" impression that others report?

Third, yes, I would want to test drive the car with a six speed before buying. I had a Z28 back in the 90s and really didn't like the shifter. I'm sure that was a different transmission and that the current car is night and day better, but I would want to test it first.

Fourth, while it does sound pricey, I'd go with the 2SS option package and magnetic shocks as well.

Fifth, If you live where it snows (not sure where fuuuuuuu is) you will want to buy a snow tire and wheel package and switch tires in the fall and spring. I have been doing that for most of my adult life as I like RWD and summer only tires. It really isn't an additional expense when you consider that by using snows in the winter you are saving your summer tires from wear for half the year. Just think of it as prepurchasing your next set of tires. The winter wheels are an expense BUT you will be saving your summer wheels from exposure to the winter environment, so they will stay nice and new looking a lot longer.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
So first off, I'm always saddened by people deciding for or against a car based on the public perception. People that jump to conclusions about who you are based on the car you drive are almost always wrong. I drive four different vehicles and they all generate different assumptions by others about who I am. I can't be all four, can I? I say ignore that crap, but if you can't live with it, you can't. In your case, I'd use the car as a discussion piece when you go out to meet people for work. It gives you an opportunity to explain the features and technology and value proposition of the car. Plus it was on opportunity to buy
American. I find that you can turn what someone might perceive as a negative into a positive.
I wholeheartedly agree with your statements about perceptions, only caveat here is if his livelihood depends on his ability to sell a product, then those perceptions can very much weigh in against you. It is an unfortunate truth that a large portion of the population will immediately form a positive/negative impression based on the first things they see about someone, so if his customers or potential clients would form an initial negative impression based on the vehicle he drives, it may make more sense to look for something else. Those initial impressions can be very hard to overcome, especially within the limited interaction you may have with a potential client/customer.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill

Second, after reading your post I'm feeling bad that I didn't go out of my way to get a test drive while I was at the dealership a couple of months ago. It sounds great and I'm very impressed that a three time S2000 owner has such a positive reaction to the driving experience. Can you tell us how you felt in the cabin? Did you suffer from the "pill box" impression that others report?

Third, yes, I would want to test drive the car with a six speed before buying. I had a Z28 back in the 90s and really didn't like the shifter. I'm sure that was a different transmission and that the current car is night and day better, but I would want to test it first.

Fourth, while it does sound pricey, I'd go with the 2SS option package and magnetic shocks as well.

Fifth, If you live where it snows (not sure where fuuuuuuu is) you will want to buy a snow tire and wheel package and switch tires in the fall and spring. I have been doing that for most of my adult life as I like RWD and summer only tires. It really isn't an additional expense when you consider that by using snows in the winter you are saving your summer tires from wear for half the year. Just think of it as prepurchasing your next set of tires. The winter wheels are an expense BUT you will be saving your summer wheels from exposure to the winter environment, so they will stay nice and new looking a lot longer.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for your insightful post, this really is the best car community in my opinion. To answer your question on the cabin, you don't feel too congested, everything is placed conveniently (HVAC, radio controls, etc). While it is a smaller cabin, it feels comfortable. In comparison, when sitting in the s2000 I've always felt like I needed to be rigid and overly alert. The Camaro cabin has enough comfort and amenities that cruising will be enjoyable. The visibility is poor, especially through the rear view, but using side mirrors and the back up camera help out tremendously. I am foregoing the sunroof specifically for cost and head room. But at 5'10" I fit nicely. During the test drive we had a passenger in the back seat (5'7" male salesman) and he seemed to fit reasonably well.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

What I'm loving here is that on a Honda forum we're all discussing buying domestics. You just suggested the camaro vs mustang, not a japense car to be considered.

If you drive and like it, I think you pick the trim you want. You might wait and buy a 1 year old version for a bit less. May help with your trim level pricing. Domestics traditionally have a lot more room to move in the pricing so push hard on it. Call out of state and remember they do things like dealer hold back, high volume kick backs and mid-month sales goals.

It's faster then an M4. Got get it and report back.

For note, I'd buy a GT350. But that's only because the view out of the Camaro would be too hard for me to deal with, and the motor.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1463492151' post='23968922
I wholeheartedly agree with your statements about perceptions, only caveat here is if his livelihood depends on his ability to sell a product, then those perceptions can very much weigh in against you. It is an unfortunate truth that a large portion of the population will immediately form a positive/negative impression based on the first things they see about someone, so if his customers or potential clients would form an initial negative impression based on the vehicle he drives, it may make more sense to look for something else. Those initial impressions can be very hard to overcome, especially within the limited interaction you may have with a potential client/customer.

I guess it depends who your customers are. If they are a bunch of feminine hygiene products, then yeah, I guess so. I've done some pretty good business using my cars as a point of discussion when getting to know people. I'd be pretty excited if I went to a meeting and the other person showed up in a new Camaro SS.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I've watched videos of the six-speed and it looks good. Quick, smooth gear changes. Get the 2SS, you'll be happy you did and will likely get most back with resale value.

We only have a thousand miles on our '16 Camaro SS and we've loved every mile. It really is a best of GM parts bin car that the Camaro team executed very well. Smooth and comfy when you want and firm and very fast when you want. Definitely get 2SS, mag ride, and dual mode exhaust. Those are must haves IMO.

So, perception.....some people do have preconceived notions of the Camaro. Mullet, red neck, white trash, poor mans Vette, young people's car etc. I firmly believe the 5th gen started to change that. It was a good car and a broader cross section drove them. The ZL1 and Z/28 moved them up market some too.

The 6th gen is that much better. It's smaller and tighter on the outside. It looks aggressive, but not boy racer. The interior is way better. Anyone that dismisses the Camaro will have a new appreciation after riding or driving in one. It's a sophisticated drive. The engine revs very easily and has an incredible tight small block snarl with the dual-mode exhaust. Suspension is supple and very balanced. Turn in is quick with direct steering. Settings adjust steering feel, suspension, exhaust sound, and shift quickness with automatic.

Interior has a lot of features and tech with HUD, heated/cooled seats, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, power everything, very comfy seats, surprisingly comfy seats. Even the ambient light is fun to play with and has 24 different colors including a show mode where it cycles through all the colors. It's gimmicky but still fun. Visibility really isn't bad when the seat is adjusted correctly. It does have blind spot monitor and that helps. The "pillbox" feel makes it feel like a cockpit and more special than a plebeian sports coupe. Many like it, some don't. We both like it.

So, back to perception. If you have a clean '16 Camaro SS in a classy color with good wheels and you step out of it in a nice business suit and walk up to your client, shake their hand with a firm handshake, look them in the eye, speak professionally and are friendly and competent, I am quite sure a new nice looking Camaro SS isn't going to hurt you at all. If you end up giving them a ride, it will likely help you close the sale. It's a fun car that can definitely spark conversation.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

He's right though, Bill. I think a Camaro is a safe bet. It doesn't seem so expensive that customers won't think they're overpaying (like they'd think if you rolled up in a Bentley), but it's expensive enough that people won't think he's a loser (like they'd think if he rolled up in a 2002 Honda Civic).

Quick Reply: Seriously considering 2016 Camaro SS feedback welcome