Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling S2k, options?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling S2k, options?

I'm starting to think about selling my s2k. Especially now that it's summer and prices have come up a bit. I've only had it for a few months, and I love it. But I'm getting a bit aggravated that I can't fit anything it in. Doing the things I want to do, It's hard to DD or to hang out with friends with the car. Before the buy I convinced myself that I didn't need room, but now that I don't have any, I can see that room is really really nice to have. So...I want something as fun as the s2k, but also has room to fit people and a real trunk. I'm thinking speed3? Or Evo 8, except the evo 8 is a bit older and will probably have more problems being a boosted 2.0 engine with lots of miles, while I can probably get an equally prices speed3 with around 20k miles.

My car:
05 silverstone in 8/10 paint condition.
73k miles

15mm spacers all around
JDP rear diffuser
Invidia q300 cat back
OEM lip
VIS Mugen Replica Hardtop
Tein s-tech springs
Eibach front and rear sways
Sony head unit
clear headlight diffusers
headlights recleared

I'm thinking about selling it all together and can probably still make my money back and then some, minus the maintenance cost I've done to it (all fluids, replaced A/C compressor, drier, clutch, recharged) for around 20k. So that'll be my budget for a new car.

Suggestions?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like you'll 14-15K on a trade in. What is your budget on the next car? If you like modding a car, a SAAB 93 Convertible is good. A lot can be done to the turbo models and the convertibles are better built than the other models (same factory that contract builds Porsche Boxster. 4 seats and real trunk.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM

No trade in, I'll take my time selling private party. KBB for my area is at 18,200 at excellent, 17,600 at very good, 17,200 at good. Also debating about parting out the mods, except the exhaust since I dont have the stock one
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

As fun as the S, 4 doors and a trunk? Those aren't possible.

Not a huge subi fan but the WRX STI could be a lot of fun, get an extended warranty. Personally I'm looking at a TL SH-AWD.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
As fun as the S, 4 doors and a trunk? Those aren't possible.

Not a huge subi fan but the WRX STI could be a lot of fun, get an extended warranty. Personally I'm looking at a TL SH-AWD.

Well, I'm willing to give up some fun in trade for practicality. I don't like STI's since all the ones I find for sale are because they were beat on and now have problems.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Beetle- small, fun to drive, four seats and a trunk. Resell is also better than average. Or a Mini. Same deal. If you still need more room well, that's your call.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Great topic, but it's more about seeking alternatives to the S2000 which means it's more in the arena of Car Talk. Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle while we move you to the appropriate forum. Hold on....
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenw
I'm starting to think about selling my s2k. Especially now that it's summer and prices have come up a bit. I've only had it for a few months, and I love it. But I'm getting a bit aggravated that I can't fit anything it in. Doing the things I want to do, It's hard to DD or to hang out with friends with the car. Before the buy I convinced myself that I didn't need room, but now that I don't have any, I can see that room is really really nice to have. So...I want something as fun as the s2k, but also has room to fit people and a real trunk. I'm thinking speed3? Or Evo 8, except the evo 8 is a bit older and will probably have more problems being a boosted 2.0 engine with lots of miles, while I can probably get an equally prices speed3 with around 20k miles.

My car:
73k miles

15mm spacers all around
JDP rear diffuser
Invidia q300 cat back
OEM lip
Tein s-tech springs
Sony head unit
headlights recleared

I'm thinking about selling it all together and can probably still make my money back and then some, minus the maintenance cost I've done to it (all fluids, replaced A/C compressor, drier, clutch, recharged) for around 20k. So that'll be my budget for a new car.

Suggestions?

Find a clean Evo 8. Very reliable if you find one that's been well taken care of. They go for $12-18k in good condition. Also, look at Evo 9's... they are still $20-26k and you can find really clean 1 owner examples with a little bit of looking.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Great topic, but it's more about seeking alternatives to the S2000 which means it's more in the arena of Car Talk. Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle while we move you to the appropriate forum. Hold on....

Whoops, I could have sworn I posted this in Car Talk
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by stevenw' timestamp='1374619605' post='22683202

My car:
73k miles

15mm spacers all around
JDP rear diffuser
Invidia q300 cat back
OEM lip
Tein s-tech springs
Sony head unit
headlights recleared

Suggestions?

Find a clean Evo 8. Very reliable if you find one that's been well taken care of. They go for $12-18k in good condition. Also, look at Evo 9's... they are still $20-26k and you can find really clean 1 owner examples with a little bit of looking.

All the evo's i am finding have around 80k miles. Don't turbos usually need to be replaced around that mile marker?

Quick Reply: Selling S2k, options?