Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling the S is so frustrating!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never sold an s2k, did I did sell my Contour SVT and my Civic Si. I must have gotten lucky. I sold my Si about 3 weeks ago. I had a friend who had shown interest back when I wasn't selling it. I walked up to him asked asked if he still wanted it. We looked up trade values and private party values, and I threw out a price that I thought was more than fair (with a nice friend discount); 3 days later I had cash in hand and the car was gone.

My main concern was not trading it in and getting nearly nothing for it, and also I didn't want to go 3 months dealing with people trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the sale. To me, the hassle wasn't worth a few hundred extra dollars.

Selling the Contour SVT went almost identical to the Si.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM

lol right after this thread I got a good offer for my car, unfortunately i had to reject it because i dont have another car lined up for a purchase. i am only interested in Cayman S and Z4M coupe and both are a bitch to find for a decent price where you wont take a $5k+ depreciation hit in 1 year.

I was ready to spend 10-15k extra to buy something else.....but there are NO z4m coupe and only 2 cayman s in 4 states near me.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

As previously stated, many people whom are going to be looking at purchasing an S2000 know a fair bit about cars and know what to look for. With that being said, make sure that every issue is disclosed ahead of time. If there's a 3 inch dent on the lower side skirt, state that in the post.

Before purchasing mine, I had the hardest time finding a decent honest seller; drove 2.5 hours for an 'excellent' condition AP1, only to find it had a very cheap respray and bondo all over the rear quarter panel which the owner 'had no idea about'.

If you're asking a high price, explain in the ad why you are asking your amount. If low, state why it's low.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 20aeman
If the car resembles your sig...I can't blame them. Single outlet fartcan on a yellow S2k with black wheels and too low suspension? I would subtract 2k off of "market value" if I were selling a car with those mods.
HAHAHAHAHA so now invidia dual N1 is a fart can? lol its completely stock aside from Megan Track Series Coilovers and a sound system. How about you stop being lazy and look at the thread before you say something ignortant. Either way, i have decided to keep my car, therefore the original topic of conversation is now dead.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The way you should price your car is to go to Carmax and get their 7-day written offer to buy your car. They do a whole lot more research than most people can ever do, it takes a good hour. They check all the mechanical and give it a thorough inspection, they look up black book value and also have their own market metrics for the demand for that particular model. I bet PT cruisers got the crap end of the stick haha. At the very least you got a basic inspection for free as they'll tell you if there's something majorly wrong with the car as they'll deduct that from the offer. This is the bottom end you should start your pricing. The carmax pricing is the very lowest you should take from private party, and I would actually say $500-1000 above carmax's offer is a reasonable mark for the bottom end of the pricing range when considering your price. Afterall, if you sell to carmax they do all the paperwork, you can just drop the car off, get a ride home and take a check with you the same day. No need to deal with people, deal with their loans and banks, safety, etc. So the only reason to consider selling to private party is if you can get a good premium from doing so relative to Carmax's offer.
Carmax goes off of Black book value. You're not going to get much but it's a good baseline that you can add maybe $1000 to to gauge the demand for it. The reason for this is because Carmax buys car that they not only try to sell themselves (their used car have really high standards) but the ones that don't make the cut are sold off to auctions and other used car dealers all around the country and so it's always going to be way lower than what you can truly get for your car. That's how they make money.
Sorry but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with this entire statement. I considered my S2000 in "excellent" condition. It had brand new tires, not a single door ding or scratch on her (clear bra on the front). However it wasn't truly "excellent" because the front bumper, 1 headlight and 1 front fender had been replaced. Nonetheless the bodywork was flawless. Carmax went over my car for around an hour and came back with an offer of $13,000. That for a 2007 with 55k miles. I laughed at them and went on my way, as 2 hours previous I had a dealership (that was selling a Cayman S) offer me $16,000. Long story short when I traded in my S2000 6 months later (and 5,000 miles later) for a BRZ the Subaru dealership gave me $18,000.

tl;dr to hell with Carmax's prices.
Reading comprehension my friend..
I never said that you should price your car to carmax's offer nor suggested you should sell to carmax. What would be the point in listing your car for sale at what carmax offered you?
What I said was that it is beneficial to go to Carmax to get a written offer because a) they do all the inspection for you and give you black book pricing b) the black book offer is a good baseline for you to know that carmax's offer + $1000 is the BARE MINIMUM you can get from a private party. I only suggested carmax for a seller to get a good baseline as some people have problems pricing their car. Some people sell their cars a lot less than they are worth and some way too much.
It's not hard to understand.. Carmax makes money selling cars and if they buy cars.. well then they're buying it severely undervalued aren't they? So if a company like Carmax offers you $X then it would be a good GAUGE to know that their offer + $500-1000 = your bottom end. I never said to just straight up take a carmax offer. I was merely suggesting you have nothing to do lose other than 45 mins for carmax to do the heavy lifting on doing the market research, black book value and a pretty thorough inspection all for free. It'll at least you give an idea "well if THEY'RE willing to give me $x, then I should at least be able to et $X + $premium selling privately".

And ive been lowballed by carmax but doesn't mean it wasn't useful to know what a dealer offer was at that point.