Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling the S is so frustrating!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is simply no better car for a price in category, and its reliable as "wood burning stove"
I can't even justify purchasing a Porsche, unless I come across a good deal. I might have to drive this car for another 50k
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Because 9/10 the s was previously modded and the person returns it to stock after selling their mods expecting it to be sold like a good condition unmolested car as well as people on this site being delusional about the value of the s being on the upswing and scratching each other's backs with threads like this. The only s's that will hold their value are the truly low mileage ones (like sub 30k) in pristine condition with records of maintenance etc.

The s is cool and unique, but not for the prices you people are looking to get for the mileage you have. At least I never would have bought one. What sickens me the most is people who go boosted and then revert back to OEM and trade it/sell it without telling anyone. That is down right swindling and fraud. If your car was not oem, leave it not oem and take the hit on the fact that mods don't sell, or come clean about everything and take reduced value because the car wasn't left OEM it's whole life. Doesn't matter if it was done properly or not damaged, you aren't getting your money back.

Also, your s is yellow which is a hard pill to swallow for some.

Link for why people are "lowballing" you:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/...ster-2D/Values
Who or what are you addressing in this thread? You keep saying you people but there's only one person selling his car and he hasn't given any info on his car or the price..?
And I disagree, S high mileage or not will hold their value, just like any other car. It's basic supply and demand. You're going to have to sell a high mileage for a lot less than a low mileage but relative to other cars you're not going to give it away. An S near my house had 200k miles and sold for $8000+. And given that I was looking for an S 7 years ago and it's still the same price for the same year and same mileage (and it's 7 years later!) the S has not depreciated as much as say, a mustang from 2001 when it was 2005.

And there's nothing wrong with selling your mods, it's not "fraud" if it's simple bolt ons or cosmetics, rims, etc. Granted the seller should be honest about the history of the car but if you had a catback or intake and want to switch back to a stock exhaust so you can get a few hundred bucks from parting out then i dont see a problem with that. of course if it was a turbo or any kind of mod that is past the simple bolt on, then that should be disclosed as well. That or replacement engines, transmissions, etc.
The problem with mods is not so much that it ruins the car or it's damaging to the car (unless it's something extensive), it's that sometimes a buyer doesnt want all that shit that you did to personalize the car. I may not want that ugly round shift knob and the LEDs that you put on the floor. I may not like those staggered rims or the hellaflush stance or how loud your exhaust is. So from a seller's perspective, the best way to maximize the people you reach and gain interest from is to go back to stock and start neutral and get what you can from parting out. I know a few people who wouldnt even consider buying a car if it had an aftermarket exhaust simply because they dont "want to deal with it". They're not car people, they dont know it's a $50 fix and a search on CL for the stock exhaust to go back to stock but to some people it's a hassle they dont want to live with and they certainly dont want to pay money for. it's just good common sense to take the simple mods off to get more people interested, no need to lie about it.
And having mods doesn't mean you drove the car hard or raced it but that is the idea that many buyer's hold in their head. People with stock cars can beat their car to shit too. But i guess it all comes down to honesty and that's something that's an issue regardless of what youre buying or who you're dealing with.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Rules for selling:

And unless you have killer rare mods that are cosmetic, mods usually don't add to resale value. People look for stock cars cause it's less likely to run into problems or what have you. So price accordingly. Parting out is always a better deal financially but unless you want to keep the stock parts (or find them) and do the labor you might have to go as-is.
+1

I tire kicked for a long time based on this one point. I would go look at a car that appeared nice in the pics and when I got there it was a hacked up mess. There are a ton of people out there who have no business working on cars. So after a while I started skipping over anything that had mods. Rims, stereos, spoilers, intakes, exhausts... basically anything non-OEM. All those people with stupid mods lost my purchase.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling any car really is frustrating. I don't think I've ever sold one car that hasn't been a hassle.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 AM

From selling my last S, the one thing I couldn't stand was the fact that every single person who test drove it didn't even attempt to rev-match their downshifts! They would just let the clutch do all the work. I just had to keep telling myself..."soon it won't be my car, soon it won't be my car".

On the flip side, when I was test driving an AP1 S2000 recently I was driving it very conservatively and was in 4th gear at 35-40 mph and the guy asked me (very politely) if I could change up to 5th...that he doesn't like to keep the engine turning that high for too long. He also said he'd owned the car for 4 years and had only hit vtec 6-7 times.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuperNikNasty
Nothin but low balls and tire kickers man.
I will say a few things as I'm currently shopping for one and I even inquired about yours as well..

Someone said the s2000 holds value due to supply and demand, however you gotta consider that there's pages of classifieds on here of s2ks that have been sitting as well as craiglist/autotrader....the matter is, only a portion of s2k owners daily the car...us old folks with kids, I have an suv/daily...s2000 is a luxury not a necessity so it's kinda hard to gauge value on a luxury item that in reality I don't NEED to have...it gives the buyer a lot of leverage as far as lot of pricing because I know more are going to hit the market I/we just have to be patient

[quote name='SouthDakotaS2K' timestamp='1373965819' post='22668429']
[quote name='superstuddc27' timestamp='1373917750' post='22667275']
I tire kicked for a long time based on this one point. I would go look at a car that appeared nice in the pics and when I got there it was a hacked up mess. There are a ton of people out there who have no business working on cars. So after a while I started skipping over anything that had mods. Rims, stereos, spoilers, intakes, exhausts... basically anything non-OEM. All those people with stupid mods lost my purchase.
[quote]

This is a huge deal...I've checked out a few and all of them ended up having surprises that I didn't expect, some that the seller disclosed willingly but not over the phone/email and the others I found on my own which is a huge turn off. Now you made me waste my time like someone else in this thread said, I took an hour of my time to see your car with good intentions but the manner in which information was disclosed turns me into a tire kicker..

In your particular ad,like I said I inquired yesterday because your car looks very clean, however then you mentioned the fenders were rolled/are a little worn....that's a fairly huge "defect" to someone like myself...and then your ad says you were open to offers but then upon contacting you, your bottom line was 500 dollars under your listed price. Not to say that your price wasn't fair or anything of the sort,however if I had known that your open to offers meant 500 under what you listed I wouldn't have wasted your time/been a tire kicker either so it's a two way street!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy, don't sell. Keep it and enjoy it. You'll be back anyway.....
Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Who or what are you addressing in this thread? You keep saying you people but there's only one person selling his car and he hasn't given any info on his car or the price..?
It takes 2 seconds to both check his history and see his for sale thread with the car in its non stock form with an asking price of 16,500 and then to go take a look at the rest of the delusional threads also in the FS section.
And I disagree, S high mileage or not will hold their value, just like any other car. It's basic supply and demand. You're going to have to sell a high mileage for a lot less than a low mileage but relative to other cars you're not going to give it away. An S near my house had 200k miles and sold for $8000+. And given that I was looking for an S 7 years ago and it's still the same price for the same year and same mileage (and it's 7 years later!) the S has not depreciated as much as say, a mustang from 2001 when it was 2005.
Nothing to add here. It may not depreciate as fast, but still depreciates and non s2ki values are lower than s2ki values people are seeking.

And there's nothing wrong with selling your mods, it's not "fraud" if it's simple bolt ons or cosmetics, rims, etc. Granted the seller should be honest about the history of the car but if you had a catback or intake and want to switch back to a stock exhaust so you can get a few hundred bucks from parting out then i dont see a problem with that. of course if it was a turbo or any kind of mod that is past the simple bolt on, then that should be disclosed as well. That or replacement engines, transmissions, etc.
Point is you shouldn't expect clean OEM value for your previously modded S regardless of mod type. You're gonna take the hit one way or another either on the car or mods. You can't sell the mods and then sell the car as a clean oem specimen and expect to recoup mod costs + get normal value. It just doesn't work (unless you lie about mods or try to cover it up because if it looks OEM I bet most people wouldn't know the difference).
The problem with mods is not so much that it ruins the car or it's damaging to the car (unless it's something extensive), it's that sometimes a buyer doesnt want all that shit that you did to personalize the car. I may not want that ugly round shift knob and the LEDs that you put on the floor. I may not like those staggered rims or the hellaflush stance or how loud your exhaust is. So from a seller's perspective, the best way to maximize the people you reach and gain interest from is to go back to stock and start neutral and get what you can from parting out. I know a few people who wouldnt even consider buying a car if it had an aftermarket exhaust simply because they dont "want to deal with it". They're not car people, they dont know it's a $50 fix and a search on CL for the stock exhaust to go back to stock but to some people it's a hassle they dont want to live with and they certainly dont want to pay money for. it's just good common sense to take the simple mods off to get more people interested, no need to lie about it.
And having mods doesn't mean you drove the car hard or raced it but that is the idea that many buyer's hold in their head. People with stock cars can beat their car to shit too. But i guess it all comes down to honesty and that's something that's an issue regardless of what youre buying or who you're dealing with.
Having mods almost always means you drove the car hard. Enthusiasts drive their cars, and dumb enthusiasts (read hellaflush crowd, etc who don't actually know anything) drive them faster and harder than most at least in terms of engine wear and highway pulls

I just take issue with people trying to sell for over NADA values, especially when NADA values for a given mileage and "clean retail" are prices for a car in pristine condition with basically no defects and no history of any changes from OEM besides things like brakepads, rotors, rims, and tires. Change anything past that, expect reduced value. The only saving grace you have is there MIGHT be an audience willing to pay more because they will be educated on what the S is and find it as special as you. Normally though, expect to sell your car to someone who thinks it looks cool and knows nothing else about it, ergo take the sentimental value out of your pricing or wait a long time to get your money and don't complain. True knowledgeable enthusiasts account for maybe 5% of the car owning population.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

<---- NEVER selling.

And one of the reasons is I will never get it sold for the price I think it's worth, considering how meticulous I have been taking care of it over the time I have owned it.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
There is simply no better car for a price in category, and its reliable as "wood burning stove"
I can't even justify purchasing a Porsche, unless I come across a good deal. I might have to drive this car for another 50k
I said something like that about 85,000 miles ago .

Quick Reply: Selling the S is so frustrating!