Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling my S at EOY :(

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can make more money than you owe from the sale then I say sell it and then get a beater. Put the money in your savings for a rainy day. If you want kids, make sure it's a planned pregnancy when you and your wife is emotionally and financially ready.

And the S is more practical when it comes to storage anyways.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r91FJApOBw8 [/media]
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

civic si new ones are good with the lsd, or you can buy an rsx-s and put lsd in there, coupe with 4 seater

and its below your budget
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM

all the threads like this make me dont wanna get married ever...
but you gotta do what you gotta do as you are getting married!
good luck with a new car, i honestly think that youguys should sell the Z and pay off the S so you can keep the S and get a rid of that Z
Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 AM

It doesn't sound like he HAS to sell it. Seems more like he's trying to be practical. Before I got married I was paying for an S and an Accord. I needed to buy a house so I sold the car I owed the most money on, which sadly was the S. I didn't have to sell it and the wife (fiance at the time) actually tried to talk me out of it. It worked out though, I got to cut some debt which made getting a home loan very easy considering how tough it was at the time to get one.

A year and a half or so later I traded my Accord in on an '08 Evo X. Although I do miss the S, especially being able to put the top down, I love my Evo. It's cheaper to mod, handles well, is fast, it's fun to drive, and I can fit 4-5 people in it.

However I agree with others, if I had only had 1 car payment before I got married I would have just gotten decent cheap car for practicality and called it a day. The Evo is an awesome car, but there is something special about the S.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 AM

The end of the year is the worst possible time to sell a car. And if you live in any part of the country that sees winter, then it's an even worse time of year to sell a convertible sports car. I live in PA, and you can see up to a 20% drop in used S2000 market prices from Summer time to December and then a subsequent rise in market prices from December to May/June. It happens every year around here.

If you are going to get rid of the S2000, I would recommend selling it right now, when it's value will near the highest point of the year.

Andrew
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I was wondering...can she drive standards?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 23 2010, 08:12 AM
The end of the year is the worst possible time to sell a car. And if you live in any part of the country that sees winter, then it's an even worse time of year to sell a convertible sports car. I live in PA, and you can see up to a 20% drop in used S2000 market prices from Summer time to December and then a subsequent rise in market prices from December to May/June. It happens every year around here.

If you are going to get rid of the S2000, I would recommend selling it right now, when it's value will near the highest point of the year.

Andrew
QFT.

Also, I agree with others saying don't get rid of it unless you have to. I was almost in your same boat (just moved into my new house, married next spring, 1 year left on my Masters) and looking at the 2010 Mustang GT (they were going for like $28 full loaded, plus 6 years 0% interest.

BUT, I just paid off the S, it has 82k miles on it, and gets great mileage. Don't sell the car. Pay it off, keep it until you need the room. If you need room now, mid-late 90's Accord and call it a day.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Legacy GT.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This idea doesn't seem to make financial sense to me. First, if one has to go, separate the financing from the assets. Even so, it's silly to sell a car to get rid of a $10K note and then go spend $20-25K on another car.

I'd suggest you each keep the car you like, and (a) pack light for trips; (b) drive separately; or
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Hmmmm

Selling the car you love so your wife can get what she wants

Welcome to marriage!

Quick Reply: Selling my S at EOY :(