Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SELL THE S FOR A S14 OR KEEP IT?!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

If yer living paycheck-to-paycheck, ditch the S pronto.

In my experience, S13>S14, I'd go for a clean SR20DET'd one o' those in a heartbeat. Or even a clean KA24DE one (which can of course be turbo'd later when you has the $$$).

MHO...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the S2000, don't replace it, and have the beater for an only car. If you're just getting by, you need to spend your money more wisely.

Do you fully fund available retirement vehicles (401(k), Roth IRA, SEP, etc.)? That and establishing an emergency savings fund should be your first priorities.

Play Forza or GT for the time being to get your car-related jollies, you'll be much better off in the long run.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 11 2009, 09:22 PM
Sell the S2000, don't replace it, and have the beater for an only car. If you're just getting by, you need to spend your money more wisely.

Do you fully fund available retirement vehicles (401(k), Roth IRA, SEP, etc.)? That and establishing an emergency savings fund should be your first priorities.

Play Forza or GT for the time being to get your car-related jollies, you'll be much better off in the long run.
Yeah but what about instant gratification? Isn't that what the American economy thrives on? I say do what you want....
Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Instant gratification got us where we are now: a nation of people enslaved to their possessions, with no fricking cash on hand whatsoever!

An economy that REQUIRES people to continue to spend more and more money when the savings rate is nil, is an economy that is DOOMED...

I guess I better start learnin' Mandarin...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=ZDan,Nov 11 2009, 10:30 PM] Instant gratification got us where we are now:
Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
viK

I actually didn't think about a used ap1 or earlier ap2, and I can possibly still get the sc, and still have a car paymet but would only owe around 10k vs the 20+ I do now

with the s14 I'd have around 6k and could get a loaner for the rest and could pay that off Interest free. Would still have to see my options as far as that goes.

Reason I even got the car was cause originally I had an 03 s2k, sold that and got an Sti , so far financially I was doing ok, sold the Sti and got this car, I could afford it but did hAve to watch my pennies, now I'm just tired of having no extra pennies for some fun, hence my decision.

I'll prolly sell regardless now, but now jump into another s2k that will be cheaper and I can still sc it, or try something new with a turboed up s14
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

First off, sell the S for no other reason but it doesn't make financial sense. The supercharger is an even dumber idea since it will instantly void your warranty and inevitably cause you more headache; it will, period, to folks who bought their cars comfortably and paid for new mods cash, paying for a broken lil sensor here, researching a bug there, buying a new clutch here, etc etc won't bother them, a person who lives paycheck to paycheck will go nuts. Living paycheck to paycheck when you have a 30K (I know, it's less now) car makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Chalk it up to experience.
Next up, break down our monthly finances, cash in cash out, how much savings you got, bills, how much spending cash you really want, etc etc. Then, figure out what your finances allow for a car.
Keep the beater in the meantime.
Ok, so now you got some choices, 06 ap2? 04? 02 AP1? Let's just use the median price of 15,000 for a low mileage, good condition s2000 vs. a 5000-8000 s14.
Ok, there is some value questions you have to ask yourself. Does overall body condition of the car matter? Does it need to have curb appeal or are you all about the view for the cockpit. What's your performance goals? For the sake of this post I'll assume you want an s2000 level of performance with hopes of more since you want the supercharger.
First off, do you have any kind of smog laws where you live, will a turbo kit or sr20det swap pass your local DMV guidelines? No? Forget it. I've been down that road, not fun. Constant worry about a cop asking you to pop your hood, hookup for smog getting harder and harder, etc etc.
Yes, you can buy s13/rps13s with sr20det already done for 5000 or so, in good running order for the most part. It will require maitenance, if you plan on buying any kind of redtop, these engines are over a decade old, regardless of mileage you're gonna need to replace some components. Next up, your suspension is gonna be aged, gonna need a set to revamp, another 1000 down the tube If you buy a car already extensively modded, you could pretty much count on something not goign right.
Point is this, the entry level cost of buy a budget performance car like an s13/s14 is enticing at first, but modding up to the level of an s2000 will cost you. Lets say you buy a decent s14 for 5000, swap the engine, do suspension work, you could easily be at 10,000 before you know it (3K for teh swap, 1K for the suspension, 1K for miscellaneous liek diff, cluch, wheels, brakes, etc). All cash, all local garage shop work, or you could spend 15,000 for a stock car, soemtimes even with an extended warranty, a nicer car, def more reliable, and consistent monthly payments (key to budgetting).
Now if you keep the beater, you could get an already modded rps13/s13 with the swap already done for like 5000, that would be a great option.
At this point you may be under water with your loan being a 1-2 year old car so selling it might net you nothing if you could find a buyer, but my recommendation would be to downgrade to as new of an S that you can afford comfortably.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 PM

im in the similar situation as you. if i were you i would keep the car, work a little hard...plan your spending, sirsly...always put around $50 to 100 from every pay check. save up, S is a great you don't have to mod it now. you can keep it and mod it down the road (couple of years from now)
if you sell the S and get whatever used car, there is always 90% chance you end up spending money on maint (brakes, timing belt, and other sh"!)...plus you are going to lose a lot just selling the car....
Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

So many S2K owners living paycheck to paycheck...

Sell the S2K because you can't really afford it if you're just getting by. Keep the beater.

Or sell the R1, keep the beater and keep the S, but don't buy the supercharger.

Priorities mang...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:13 AM

Part of the problem with selling your S2000 and getting an older one, is that you will waste a ton of money on sales tax(a few car payments right there)... and it will need more repairs, sooner since it's an older car.

And it is an 08, so you may owe more than it's worth, meaning, selling is not an option unless you want to make up the difference with additional cash. I'd probably sell the R1, since that is the least practical vehicle in this discussion.

It's really hard to imagine someone going from a new S2000 to a 240sx long term as their primary vehicle...

Being a debt slave is not the way to go. Hopefully you can find a way to make things work. Just prioritize everything and the decisions should get easier.

Quick Reply: SELL THE S FOR A S14 OR KEEP IT?!