Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sell my ap1?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
That is absurd, no car with over 100,000 copies made will be a collectible, only S2000 fanboi's think that way. The Focus RS will be an exclusive/limited production car. Both cars started at mid 30's, I bet in 20 years the RS will be worth more than a S2000.
I guess its a good thing that only ~66,000 units were sold in the US then across all model years. Only ~110,000 world wide.

You're comparing an entire model of car to one single trim level of a single generation of another car. You're not even comparing apples to oranges.. You're comparing apples to orange seeds.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1441805087' post='23741647
It accelerates, stops, handles and brakes better than a S2000, is more exclusive and can haul way more people/stuff and probably gets the same or better MPG. Unless you absolutely have to have a convertible roadster the RS is a no brainer. I don't know why some people just can't look at the facts objectively and feel like they have to hang on to a car with 15+ year old technology like it's God's chariot.
Please, we all know God's Chariot is a Nissan Maxima.

Besides that, the S2000 isn't about objectivity. Never was. Never will be.
The numbers isn't what the S2000 is about. It seems like you don't understand that simple concept, which is why you bash the car... on a forum dedicated to the car. Troll much?

That is absurd, no car with over 100,000 copies made will be a collectible
1969 Mustang - nearly 300K made; collectible
1969 Camaro - nearly 250K made; collectible
Classic beetle - endless numbers made; collectible stateside
Classic Mini Cooper - millions made; collectible stateside

Point is, production numbers doesn't denote whether it will or won't be a collectible.
I'm not bashing the S2000, I'm bashing closed minded fanboys that suggest nobody should buy another car because it's not a S2000 even if the option is a badass one. I'm a former S2000 owner and been on the board 10 years. I've also owned a lot of other different cars. S2000 is a great car but it's a little long in the tooth and there are newer better options out there now if you keep an open mind. If you only have a 15K budget it's still probably one of the best if not the best choice out there but the OP seems to have a budget of up to mid to upper 30's.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1441891322' post='23742837
That is absurd, no car with over 100,000 copies made will be a collectible, only S2000 fanboi's think that way. The Focus RS will be an exclusive/limited production car. Both cars started at mid 30's, I bet in 20 years the RS will be worth more than a S2000.
I guess its a good thing that only ~66,000 units were sold in the US then across all model years. Only ~110,000 world wide.

You're comparing an entire model of car to one single trim level of a single generation of another car. You're not even comparing apples to oranges.. You're comparing apples to orange seeds.
I didn't set the parameters. The OP asked about a S2000 vs. the upcoming RS.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input I'll probably jus wait a few months after its release to see how people like it
Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that, and OP was not necessarily asking about whether either would be a classic or not, someone else just mentioned it and we kind of spiraled the thread out of control.

Still I would not even compare the two cars, especially when relating to future value.

Personally I would not trade my S2000 for an RS, unless the S2000 was just a beater daily duty car and I was looking for another daily car. It's honestly all personal preference, but my S2000 is my weekend/autocross toy. Sure the RS could probably fulfill those same duties and probably perform even better on the autocross side.. I just don't think it would bring me the enjoyment that the S2000 does.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the Focus RS is going to be a great car and I would very much like to own one. Having said that, I would only have one as my "only car" if I had kids.

I absolutely love the idea of a practical but fast car but there will always be compromises on a chassis designed as a FWD people carrier. However, there is undeniably a bit of magic in those ST/RS packages and anyone who has not driven the current lot Focus and Fiesta STs really shouldn't even be commenting on this thread...

I don't see what all the fuss is about the Cayman S as a "pure drivers car" at least in relation to the S2000. Feels like buying into the hype to me. The various porches I have driven have never ignited enough passion in me to pay the P-tax. All this talk of super long gear ratios in the 981s has got me pretty down on them ATM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marioshi
I absolutely love the idea of a practical but fast car but there will always be compromises on a chassis designed as a FWD people carrier. However, there is undeniably a bit of magic in those ST/RS packages and anyone who has not driven the current lot Focus and Fiesta STs really shouldn't even be commenting on this thread...
The RS is much more than just a "package"... It's AWD, and the AWD system is being hyped up as very, very good... potentially better than the Evo/WRX STI.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not bashing the S2000, I'm bashing closed minded fanboys that suggest nobody should buy another car because it's not a S2000 even if the option is a badass one. I'm a former S2000 owner and been on the board 10 years. I've also owned a lot of other different cars. S2000 is a great car but it's a little long in the tooth and there are newer better options out there now if you keep an open mind. If you only have a 15K budget it's still probably one of the best if not the best choice out there but the OP seems to have a budget of up to mid to upper 30's.
"Better" is highly subjective and depends on what you want to do with the car. The RS might end up dethroning the Evo as the next great AWD track/tuner car, but..... it's still a heavy AWD sedan and has all the disadvantages that come with that.

Don't forget that a $35k budget minus $15k for a clean AP2 leaves $20k in mods. $20k into the motor, a turbo system, suspension, etc. will go a LONG way in a (relatively) lightweight, great handling S2000.

Like I said, it really depends on what you want to do with the car and what you value for the money you're spending.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximumAttack
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1441913269' post='23743269
"Better" is highly subjective and depends on what you want to do with the car. The RS might end up dethroning the Evo as the next great AWD track/tuner car, but..... it's still a heavy AWD sedan and has all the disadvantages that come with that.

Don't forget that a $35k budget minus $15k for a clean AP2 leaves $20k in mods. $20k into the motor, a turbo system, suspension, etc. will go a LONG way in a (relatively) lightweight, great handling S2000.

Like I said, it really depends on what you want to do with the car and what you value for the money you're spending.
not fair to compare a $35k car to a $15k car with $20k in mods. That $35k s2000 won't be a reliable DD like an stock RS. It'll perform better but thats about it. Depends what you want.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after owning a ford and using it as a DD, I will never again own another modern ford. I've never had a car that pissed me off on a daily basis until I owned a ford.

Quick Reply: Sell my ap1?