Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What to do?
Sell AP2, buy E90 M3
42.55%
Keep AP2, buy something like a Honda Fit for DD
57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Sell AP2 for E90 M3?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don--good points. I'm basically hovering over the can, still trying to decide like a 2 year old, if I really want to drop one down or not!
Thing is for me, mentally, if it is an ordinary used vehicle I would pick up, that would be a beater, not a DD. And I say this because beaters are in a different class--ya don't respect the vehicle. Couldn't care less. After awhile, I'd despise it.

Borrow the M3 for a week. Hmm. Good idea. Will see if he's down to do that--car's 300mi away... lemme see.

Leasing--I did think about it for a moment. Here's the thing though... I want a sedan, so that'd be a F10 3-series. I've driven them and I just am really disappointed about how numb the steering feel is. Interior materials are of lower quality as well, compared to the E9x. For E9x, only the coupe is available. If I were to look at a lease takeover, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around taking over someone's lease payment where that amount should = a new car. But I'd be getting a used car. At a new car payment. If I sold my S and bought my buddy's M3, I'd owe, say $20K at most on it, for a car that's worth $30K at most (this is the worst case scenario). I wouldn't be upside down.

Keep the comments coming!!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:41 PM

take it from someone who sold his S to move onto a BMW 335, not M3, and then moved quickly back into another S. Don't sell the S. Shifting the S, cruising with the top down and driving a slow car fast is amazing. When will you actually use all the potential of a M3? And to those who think they do so on a daily basis, you're kidding yourself or you're a danger to everyone else on the road.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Good point - I attended a high-end car show last weekend w/ lots of Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, Vettes, Rolls Royces, you name it - just about everything except Japanese cars (there was a single GT-R representing the land of the rising sun). While leaving and walking back to my M3, I realized that not a single car in the show could provide a similar balance of fun, practicality, and comfort.
Originally Posted by basscase' timestamp='1370453121' post='22588539
Sounds like you're sold. Just get it.

IMO, the M3 sedan does so many things so well that it can be considered the "hub" of all sporty cars. It's by no means the "best" car for everyone, but it's so well-rounded that any car that improves on it in one aspect (obviously including cost) will sacrifice something else substantially.

For instance:

Want more torque? Go with a C63, give up some handling precision (and even MPG!).
Want AWD? Get an STi/Evo/Audi, deal with less comfort/refinement in the former two and "safer", uninvolving, understeer-y handling in the latter
Want even more practicality? Get an M5 or Panamera (or even a Tesla), lose some agility.
Want something lighter/more-agile? Get ready to sacrifice some significant combination of practicality (911/Cayman), comfort (S2000), refinement (Elise), and/or major additional cost (Ferrari).
If I could afford it, I think the GTR could do that and then some. Big comfy interior, big trunk, and I could drive it in most weathers!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:09 PM

For me, driving a car the level of an M3 is like... drinking a glass of yamazaki 18yr and eating white sturgegon caviar while at the ballpark during a weekday baseball game sitting in the nose bleeds. Yes, it's nice, but wouldn't a corona and some peanuts do the trick too, could you maximize that experience from a value perspective better in some other way? I mean if you can then go for it. But then why you doing that sitting in the cheap seats? Maybe you just love good scotch and caviar, sure hope so.
I'm just saying, racking up miles in an M3 doing stuff that a 335i or even a 328i could do the majority of the time and then having a more specialized tool for the rest of the time just seems better. Unless you have to have an M3.
I still say go for it, but the fact that you're going through a justification process that involves potentially regretting selling a car you love right now, makes it tough.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM

I have owned several M cars and they're wonderful and would IMO make a much better daily driver than an S2000. I love the E9x M3s but the 335 is a better daily driver IMO as it has more torque and gets significantly better gas mileage while offering pretty much everything else the M does for a daily a driver. A couple of grand in mods and the 335 is pushing 400RWHP and still pulling around 30mpg on the highway. If you have never purchased a used car you might not like it. I cringe at that thought of driving any brand new car off the lot and due to the massive initial depreciation so I'm fine with inheriting a few flaws from the previous owner.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1370463527' post='22588943
Good point - I attended a high-end car show last weekend w/ lots of Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, Vettes, Rolls Royces, you name it - just about everything except Japanese cars (there was a single GT-R representing the land of the rising sun). While leaving and walking back to my M3, I realized that not a single car in the show could provide a similar balance of fun, practicality, and comfort.
[quote name='basscase' timestamp='1370453121' post='22588539']
Sounds like you're sold. Just get it.

IMO, the M3 sedan does so many things so well that it can be considered the "hub" of all sporty cars. It's by no means the "best" car for everyone, but it's so well-rounded that any car that improves on it in one aspect (obviously including cost) will sacrifice something else substantially.

For instance:

Want more torque? Go with a C63, give up some handling precision (and even MPG!).
Want AWD? Get an STi/Evo/Audi, deal with less comfort/refinement in the former two and "safer", uninvolving, understeer-y handling in the latter
Want even more practicality? Get an M5 or Panamera (or even a Tesla), lose some agility.
Want something lighter/more-agile? Get ready to sacrifice some significant combination of practicality (911/Cayman), comfort (S2000), refinement (Elise), and/or major additional cost (Ferrari).
If I could afford it, I think the GTR could do that and then some. Big comfy interior, big trunk, and I could drive it in most weathers!
[/quote]

Last I checked, the GT-R isn't a 4 door sedan, and can't seat 4 adults comfortably.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Oh right m3 sedan. My mistake.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Voted keep the S, but thats my own bias against BMW...
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Do you drive a lot?

I'd rather have a e90 m3 than a s2000 + fit. B.c I'm the same way as you and i would drive my DD most of the time since im always doing something with work; etc. The s2000 would be a garage queen. I'm most likely finally selling my s2k since i only put maybe 1-2000 miles in the past 2 years.

Also IMHO your DD is important than your weekend car. Idc if you drive a ferrari on sundays if your driving a civic monday-saturday. Your DD should be a fun & nice car. It's were you spend most of your driving time. Until you can afford to both a nice DD & Nice weekend car, stay with a car than can do both pretty goddamn well like the e90 m3
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Just test drove a new Fit 5MT last night. Fun, for what it is, but reminds me a lot of my 07MY Versa SL hatch I had 6 years ago--Enjoyed it for about 5-6mo, then proceeded to drive the living snot out of it and ended up truly despising that vehicle. I can't do the Fit: doesn't Fit me (heh).

335i--I hear ya, but there's a lot more to the M3 than the power, IMO. It's engineered to be one cohesive package. I also really really respect OEM engineering, so I really would rather not chip a 335i.

RE: new car depreciation--yes, if one bought a new car, and say, the next week, the owner decides to sell it--yes, that owner would take a bath. But that's only if he/she sells it right then and there. If he doesn't sell it, it's an unrealized loss. Same thing in the stock markets, right... AAPL drops 30% in value. If you freak out and sell, you'll see that 30% loss. But if you don't, you haven't lost anything yet. Only difference here in the car world, for most cars (we're not counting 1 of 42 Hemi 'Cuda Convertibles or 1969 ZL1 Camaros here), cars will depreciate. If that owner sells 1 year later, then he's got more time to amortize his loss. For most folks, the scenario of dumping a purchased vehicle in less than 12mo is not very likely.

GT-R... don't start me on that car...

Commute miles = 5.5k/yr, currently. If I snap up this M3, that'd drop to about 3-4k commute as I'd ride the Monster more often. Pleasure miles--figure on 6-7k/yr. I completely agree w/ s.hasan--DD is where one spends most of the driving time--so this is why I'm leaning towards selling the S2000 and going with this M3.

I think.

Quick Reply: Sell AP2 for E90 M3?