Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sell 2013 Civic Si for 2015 Focus ST or GTI?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell 2013 Civic Si for 2015 Focus ST or GTI?

My wife and I ended buying a 2013 Civic Si about a year ago when it became clear our Scion TC was not going to be compatible with our one year old and a convertible car seat. I bought it for reasons of reliability, resale, etc. , and the car has performed flawlessly. The additional torque from the 2.4 liter engine has made the car awesome for daily driving. However, before I had my S2000 I had a WRX and I'm missing having a turbocharged car. That feeling of a turbo spooling up and wave of torque surging you forward. The Si is just missing that little something that makes you want to drive a car. The shifter is amazing and the engine really sounds good, but it doesn't make you want to drive like hooligan like some cars. That, and while functionally I really like the gauges, I miss having an analogue tach and speedo. Anyone else with a Civic Si that feels this way? And if you own a GTI or ST what has been you experience? I generally shy away from domestics but Fords products lately look great and while I love the GTI their notorious realiblity has me a little scared.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I'd wait for the Focus RS if it were me, or get a new WRX. The FA series engine in the new WRX is excellent. MPG is up, power is sufficient, all around very good car. Subaru needs to severely update the STi to match (EJ engine). I would take the new WRX over the GTi or ST due to AWD > FWD. Don't know where you are located but if willing to go to CO Springs, you can get a base for $25k and some change.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 8th gen Civic Si and never felt the urge to go to Subaru or Ford. They may have more power and may be faster, but nothing beats Honda reliability.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM

I second with Tommy, the new 15 WRX is a great car. My buddy back home bought one and it is leaps and bounds better to drive than my old 05 WRX. The engine is amazing and has a ton of potential if you get bored with the power. The interior is very nice (for the price) it will all come down to the test drive though. I have driven a Focus ST and an older (08) GTi with the DSG tranny. The focus ST didn't do anything for me, not sure what it was. But I really enjoyed the GTi, especially the transmission. Again, it will all come down to the test drive and what you feel fits your needs better. If you live in a climate that requires AWD, i would wait for the new Focus RS or buy a 15 WRX.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:31 PM

I wasn't really considering the WRX since I already owned one and wanted to try something new, but maybe I need to give the new one a try.

I will say I was impressed by the Focus ST. The turn and handling was much better than my old WRX, S2000 or current Si. I sat in a Gen 7 GTI but haven't driven one yet. I have driven a Gen 6 model with the DSG and thought it was great and the interior of the VW's are much nicer than their Japanese counterparts IMHO.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 8th gen Si and would take an ST over it any day of the week.

New WRX is a good car too. Or wait for the Focus RS like mentioned above.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Really depends on the situation you are in, the Si is the ak47 of the car world in terms of reliability - sure a lot of new cars like ST/gti/wrx are all significantly improved, but it all depends on what your plans are for the car; how long you are planning to keep it, is fun to drive factor more important to you than say average mpg, reliability, insurance rates, resale etc. I am not going to argue that a turbo car is probably twice as fun to DD compared to the Si, but that 2.4L is a great engine and if you want even more torque you could get an RV6 downpipe and squeeze out another 13wtq in the midrange. My next car is most likely going to be turbo, but in the meantime the civic si just makes way too much sense financially & coupled with the dirt cheap insurance/great mpg/utility/ reliability is an outstanding piece of engineering.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM

The S2K drivability suffers from lack of torque, I never thought that until I turboed mine. Night and day different driving experience. I enjoyed the power under the curve almost as much as on top. It would just go , even at lower RPM's, anyone who has done it knows what I mean.

That's how the ST feels without the screaming top end, it just goes. I've put about 14k miles on my '14 ST3 and enjoy the heck out of driving it. I have 6 yo old twins and we can all get in and go all day if needed, very comfortable car. The Recaro's are awesome, some feel they're tight, I'm 6'3" 180 lbs and they fit like a glove, a lot better than the S2K seats. You sit low, just like in the S2K (I lowered the seat in my S2K), the driving position is great. The Focus has come a long ways, no longer the cheapo feeling car it used to be, now the Fiesta (nice in ST trim and an excellent driver but really small) gets that spot especially at the top level like the ST. The GTi is also a very nice car but I was more enamored w/the ST, I like the looks a lot better and liked the driving experience more. You feel like your in a car w/potential in the ST (check out the vid of a modded ST vs a 6.2 Camaro SS with mods) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAyRAN283ag. Also true about the WRX but I'd rather ride in the ST, more comfortable plus I get 30 mpg all day (commute 110 miles a day). If you stretch out the gears a lot you won't get that kind of mileage but you can still have plenty of fun and get it. Guys who drive in town a lot don't get it either, more like mid 20's. It's still FWD which keeps it out of 'sport car' turf but it's firmly a hot hatch. When the RS arrives it'll be another story but I fear that ones going to cost closer to $40k (STI, Golf R) which would be too spendy for a DD commuter (doubt the MPG would be nearly as good), for me anyway. And it's not really the car I want as my weekend car, I'll stick with a 2 seater for that
Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The ST is an awesome car. Go have fun and test drive both for yourself.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfox45
I second with Tommy, the new 15 WRX is a great car. My buddy back home bought one and it is leaps and bounds better to drive than my old 05 WRX. The engine is amazing and has a ton of potential if you get bored with the power. The interior is very nice (for the price) it will all come down to the test drive though. I have driven a Focus ST and an older (08) GTi with the DSG tranny. The focus ST didn't do anything for me, not sure what it was. But I really enjoyed the GTi, especially the transmission. Again, it will all come down to the test drive and what you feel fits your needs better. If you live in a climate that requires AWD, i would wait for the new Focus RS or buy a 15 WRX.
A co-worker of mine bought a 2015 and has had nothing but problems with it. In the shop countless times with a number of issues. Mostly electrical. I know you can't judge all of them by one example but that made me shy away.

Quick Reply: Sell 2013 Civic Si for 2015 Focus ST or GTI?