Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Scion FR-S Convertible

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^^^I think this car is DOA. It makes no sense. Also, any FR-S you see listed for $31k is chock full of dealer installed options. Not really the manufacturer's fault there.

Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1377871156' post='22753458
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1377865832' post='22753311']
I haven't seen anything solid, but if you ask me, the demand is for a turbo model, not a convertible.

The motor is already unreliable enough.... and people want to turbo it? LOL. Have fun with that.
If you have paid any attention, at all, regarding the FA20's engine troubles then you would know all it needs is a different set of air/fuel tables in the ECU, to eliminate the run lean condition that occurs at fast high rpm shifts. In other words, a lightly boosted FA20 with an aftermarket tune will be more reliable than a stock FA20 with an OEM tune.
[/quote]

I don't get why people act like the first model production years never have any issues. This is common in every manufacturer and as far as I know, no daily driver FRS or BRZ have gone pop as a result of normal commuting. Everything that I have read has been at the track.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^^^I think this car is DOA. It makes no sense. Also, any FR-S you see listed for $31k is chock full of dealer installed options. Not really the manufacturer's fault there.

Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1377871156' post='22753458
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1377865832' post='22753311']
I haven't seen anything solid, but if you ask me, the demand is for a turbo model, not a convertible.

The motor is already unreliable enough.... and people want to turbo it? LOL. Have fun with that.
If you have paid any attention, at all, regarding the FA20's engine troubles then you would know all it needs is a different set of air/fuel tables in the ECU, to eliminate the run lean condition that occurs at fast high rpm shifts. In other words, a lightly boosted FA20 with an aftermarket tune will be more reliable than a stock FA20 with an OEM tune.
[/quote]

When Subaru can build a reliable turbo motor, I'll buy one.

I have paid plenty of attention, I don't understand how you think it's no big deal that the A/F tables/tune are bad enough from the factory that it can blow the motor under certain conditions. Sure it can be solved by a tune, but there are also many more issues. Check out the long BRZ thread - many references to DI issues causing bad things too.

Not all the blown motors have been at the track. Even if they were, you're saying it's no big deal that the motors blow when using the car as the manufacturer intended/advertised?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Subaru's are notorious for having terrible and dangerous factory tunes.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
As the topic says... first spy shots are out of the FR-S convertible. What do you guys think? Personally I like the coupe more, we're all probably a bit biased here but imo if you're going to get a convertible the S is the way to go. I also feel like it looks like the last gen eclipse convertible or kind of out of place like the 350/370Z convertibles. I was talking to someone over on FT86club and they said that originally the FR-S was designed to be a convertible which was news to me, he couldn't provide me a link but did have this to say:

"The [86] was designed from the outset to be built as a convertible," Toyota's chief engineer for the 86 coupe, Tetsuya Tada, told Autobild.

Just wanted to put some facts down, just in case there's some arguments about this car was getting it's roof chopped off, when it was made to be a convertible in the first place.

The original article is an interview conducted by a reputable German Auto Magazine. But if you copy and paste the quote to Google, you'll get many search results by many sources of this interview.

Unfortunately, even if in the past I was able to provide good information on the car and it's development. I can't really talk for what the engineers were saying or what Tada san wanted or answered in his interviews.

But to try to answer the question alittle bit from how I see it. Some speculation is possibly the board first called for a convertible and then decide to change it's mind. Or Looking into market demands of the time, there was plenty of competition on the convertible front at the time. Since when this was developed it was early 07-08 and Honda still had plans of releasing a successor to the S2000( a concept was released in England( it turned out to be some hybrid) and Mazda's New Miata is always a big competition. let's not forget the econ crash of 08. The only thing that was totally missing from the equation at the time was a Sports coupe, since the last RWD affordable Japanese sports coupe at the time was 1999 with the last of the Silvia.

Now with the success of the coupe, Toyota has a bigger backing into pulling customers into seeing it's brand differently. So a convertible that they already had adequate plans for saving them in dev cost seems like a likable idea.

I hope this answers some things.
Here's a link from R&T: http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...d=1459_6994734

IMO they should've gone with a targa or t-top... that's definitely a version I could get behind.
So they actually found a way to make the new 86 slower!

Evan
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k

I have paid plenty of attention, I don't understand how you think it's no big deal that the A/F tables/tune are bad enough from the factory that it can blow the motor under certain conditions. Sure it can be solved by a tune, but there are also many more issues. Check out the long BRZ thread - many references to DI issues causing bad things too.

Not all the blown motors have been at the track. Even if they were, you're saying it's no big deal that the motors blow when using the car as the manufacturer intended/advertised?
First year S2000s had reliability issues too - lots of blown motors from the initial design of the engine. Honda fixed the issues and now S2000s are considered solid cars.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1377888376' post='22754048

First year S2000s had reliability issues too - lots of blown motors from the initial design of the engine. Honda fixed the issues and now S2000s are considered solid cars.

Yes, the difference is Subaru hasn't had a truly reliable turbo motor since 2007, maybe even 2004 and earlier. Honda at least acknowledged and fixed the issues with the S. This FA20 is proving to be no different. Bad factory tune, just like all the other subarus for the past 6! Years or more. I mean how long is it acceptable for Subaru to get it together??

I love subarus and really want them to get this car and the next wrx right, I would buy one in a heartbeat if its proved a solid drivetrain.