Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Scion FR-S Convertible

Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

It looks okay as a convertible, kind of like a bargain-priced Jag.

But with a folding top, I'm guessing there is no trunk space left. They should have made it a two seater and used the rear seat space to hold the top, so it looked better and had a trunk.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the coupe but I think this looks terrible as a convertible (trunk way too short?). They should've made the convertible a 2-seater.

Maybe they don't want to go head-to-head with the Miata.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Ew.

Never been a fan of coupes with their roofs chopped off. Give me a car that was penned with an open top from day one.
Yup agreed. I also think they should ditched the back seat too IMHO.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

4 seater convertibles are all horrible horrible ideas.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1360985556' post='22341303
[quote name='TheDonEffect' timestamp='1360981603' post='22341202']
Hmm, unless it absolutely nails the handling forefront, enthusiasts may not readily embrace it, but it is broadening its appeal so that's always a good thing. Much like the miata, I have a feeling that this will appeal to primarily non-enthusiasts who want a fun car to let the hair blow but has trust issues outside of toyota, i.e. women.
But in all honesty, I wish they would offer a sunroof with the dang car. I've already given up on a turbo motor, but at least a sunroof. A few a more ponies .
See, now I never understood the sunroof. Give me a drop top or a coupe, period. The one exception may be our Mercedes R500 with over 5 ft of glass in the roof. It really does change the experience for 2nd and 3rd row passengers. But that's a family hauler. In a sports car, sunroofs, targa's, and T-tops just do not feel like a convertible. There is nothing like that feeling of being connected to the world around you from an open cockpit. As for 4 seat convertibles.....boulevard cruisers with Gumby chassis. When the rear seats are near useless it really begs the question......why?
A sunroof, moonroof, or even t-tops. Anything is better than a cage with no windows, so to speak.
[/quote]

Get a grip on your claustrophobia and embrace the coffin you wuss. Seriously, the belt line is so high on my SRT6 and the side windows so short that it would be near impossible for me to escape from a window in the event of an accident. I'm 6 ft 220 lbs. It is claustrophobic for some people. Not me. I sorta like the cockpit feel and the stiffness of the chassis. The S2000 was exactly the opposite, a feeling of being connected to the world around you with no claustrophobia at all. A sunroof will not recreate that feeling and just robs headroom.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1361032501' post='22342010
[quote name='SpudRacer' timestamp='1360985556' post='22341303']
[quote name='TheDonEffect' timestamp='1360981603' post='22341202']
Hmm, unless it absolutely nails the handling forefront, enthusiasts may not readily embrace it, but it is broadening its appeal so that's always a good thing. Much like the miata, I have a feeling that this will appeal to primarily non-enthusiasts who want a fun car to let the hair blow but has trust issues outside of toyota, i.e. women.
But in all honesty, I wish they would offer a sunroof with the dang car. I've already given up on a turbo motor, but at least a sunroof. A few a more ponies .
See, now I never understood the sunroof. Give me a drop top or a coupe, period. The one exception may be our Mercedes R500 with over 5 ft of glass in the roof. It really does change the experience for 2nd and 3rd row passengers. But that's a family hauler. In a sports car, sunroofs, targa's, and T-tops just do not feel like a convertible. There is nothing like that feeling of being connected to the world around you from an open cockpit. As for 4 seat convertibles.....boulevard cruisers with Gumby chassis. When the rear seats are near useless it really begs the question......why?
A sunroof, moonroof, or even t-tops. Anything is better than a cage with no windows, so to speak.
[/quote]

Get a grip on your claustrophobia and embrace the coffin you wuss. Seriously, the belt line is so high on my SRT6 and the side windows so short that it would be near impossible for me to escape from a window in the event of an accident. I'm 6 ft 220 lbs. It is claustrophobic for some people. Not me. I sorta like the cockpit feel and the stiffness of the chassis. The S2000 was exactly the opposite, a feeling of being connected to the world around you with no claustrophobia at all. A sunroof will not recreate that feeling and just robs headroom.
[/quote]

This thing is going to need more power to not feel like a slug. One would assume convertible means more weight among other things.

I know most people here think its blasphemy to choose a car with less chassis rigidity and more weight for the sake of a vert. But after owning 2 s2ks, that "open world experience is worth a little sacrifice. But with 200 hp this thing is going to be just too slow.

My next purchase will either be a supercharged S2000 (one already built) or if I can wait 5 years a C7. Every time I consider a different car I think back to the s2k. Man that car is irreplaceable at anywhere near its price level.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I think it looks horrible as a convertible. Way too chunky in the rear, and the stylish lines of the rear haunches from the coupe are ruined on the droptop version. Add to that increased weight, reduced chassis rigidity and a smaller trunk and to me you have a loser. I wouldn't even consider this car, in the least. It's a shame that they didn't commit their engineering resources to a turbo model instead of this crap!

And as to sunroof requests, given the curvature and crease lines of the roof I'm not sure how it could be easily done. Furthermore adding all that weight up on the roof is 100% against the stated mission of this vehicle, which is to have everything designed in order to have the lowest center of gravity possible.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I think it looks horrible as a convertible. Way too chunky in the rear, and the stylish lines of the rear haunches from the coupe are ruined on the droptop version. Add to that increased weight, reduced chassis rigidity and a smaller trunk and to me you have a loser. I wouldn't even consider this car, in the least. It's a shame that they didn't commit their engineering resources to a turbo model instead of this crap!

And as to sunroof requests, given the curvature and crease lines of the roof I'm not sure how it could be easily done. Furthermore adding all that weight up on the roof is 100% against the stated mission of this vehicle, which is to have everything designed in order to have the lowest center of gravity possible.
Tinted polycarbonate T-Tops or Targa panel would work from a weight, wind, and headroom standpoint. The plastic can be molded to follow the curve of the roofline. Still wouldn't interest me and you'd probably lose some rigidity but......if you must have a hole in the roof.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Hm those pics make it look very strange. The super short trunk just look so odd. I'll wait for better pictures of it but those pics look odd. Also the wheels are horrible.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The redeeming feature is that a convertible model combined with an auto trans might greatly increase the sales numbers for the car, thus allowing/encouraging Toyota/Subaru to continue developing and enhancing it for enthusiasts as well as appliance drivers and "simple fun" drivers.

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S Convertible