Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Scion FR-S Convertible

Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Scion FR-S Convertible

As the topic says... first spy shots are out of the FR-S convertible. What do you guys think? Personally I like the coupe more, we're all probably a bit biased here but imo if you're going to get a convertible the S is the way to go. I also feel like it looks like the last gen eclipse convertible or kind of out of place like the 350/370Z convertibles. I was talking to someone over on FT86club and they said that originally the FR-S was designed to be a convertible which was news to me, he couldn't provide me a link but did have this to say:

"The [86] was designed from the outset to be built as a convertible," Toyota's chief engineer for the 86 coupe, Tetsuya Tada, told Autobild.

Just wanted to put some facts down, just in case there's some arguments about this car was getting it's roof chopped off, when it was made to be a convertible in the first place.

The original article is an interview conducted by a reputable German Auto Magazine. But if you copy and paste the quote to Google, you'll get many search results by many sources of this interview.

Unfortunately, even if in the past I was able to provide good information on the car and it's development. I can't really talk for what the engineers were saying or what Tada san wanted or answered in his interviews.

But to try to answer the question alittle bit from how I see it. Some speculation is possibly the board first called for a convertible and then decide to change it's mind. Or Looking into market demands of the time, there was plenty of competition on the convertible front at the time. Since when this was developed it was early 07-08 and Honda still had plans of releasing a successor to the S2000( a concept was released in England( it turned out to be some hybrid) and Mazda's New Miata is always a big competition. let's not forget the econ crash of 08. The only thing that was totally missing from the equation at the time was a Sports coupe, since the last RWD affordable Japanese sports coupe at the time was 1999 with the last of the Silvia.

Now with the success of the coupe, Toyota has a bigger backing into pulling customers into seeing it's brand differently. So a convertible that they already had adequate plans for saving them in dev cost seems like a likable idea.

I hope this answers some things.
Here's a link from R&T: http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...d=1459_6994734

IMO they should've gone with a targa or t-top... that's definitely a version I could get behind.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Looks clean but the lack of a roof on a car with a rear seat is going to hurt the chassis stiffness quite a bit, moreso than if it was originally just a two-seater. That's a big "cavity" to have in a car without the ability to add a bunch of stiffening.

Still, looks pretty sharp to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Looks clean but the lack of a roof on a car with a rear seat is going to hurt the chassis stiffness quite a bit, moreso than if it was originally just a two-seater. That's a big "cavity" to have in a car without the ability to add a bunch of stiffening.

Still, looks pretty sharp to me.
That was my point to the guys I was talking to... I thought the car had been originally designed as a coupe and if you then just remove the roof in an effort to make a convertible, you're going to be affecting the handling of the car which is one of it's main selling points. That's when I was informed that it was originally designed as a convertible, but I'm still not 100% sure if that's true?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ew.

Never been a fan of coupes with their roofs chopped off. Give me a car that was penned with an open top from day one.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Ew.

Never been a fan of coupes with their roofs chopped off. Give me a car that was penned with an open top from day one.
Yep. That.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rear roofline looks really awkward.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I thought the same thing
Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1360972779' post='22340992
I thought the same thing
Agree. I think it's because of the lack of a rollbar. I always think the same thing about Camaro and Corvette convertibles too. It just doesn't look "right" without something to bring up the rear a little.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM

If it had a hardtop convertible then it's not bad but that car with a soft top would look like ass IMO. Maybe if the first pics I saw of an FR-S was as a convertible, I wouldn't be biased but after getting used to the coupes looks, the conv. just doesn't look right.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Yeah seems like I would see some chick with her terrier riding in her lap and all her gfs in the back seat.. Definitely should of left it a coupe, and definitely should of left it a 2 seater. I understand it might sell better, but 4 seats and convertible is just tacky. Dont know why I feel like that but they have always bothered me (unless its an oldschool caddy, then its pimpin ). Now its a toyota solara with a few facelifts LOL

Although I have no room to talk about the dog part, as I frequently take my dog out in mine.. German shepherd / boxer so its ok!

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S Convertible