Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saw the FJ Cruiser on the Road

Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its funny how almost every new car that comes to market is always "limited production" to justify an insane dealer markup.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by HOTRODS2000,Mar 28 2006, 09:44 AM
I checked out the FJ last week and liked it alot until I saw the window sticker. There were $5K in addons and $5k in additional dealer markup for a total of almost $38,000.00 without TTL. The salesman said they are a limited production vehicle and they might get down to MSRP in a year. I wouldn't even drive the vehicle with that kind of price. This is a niche market vehicle and I think our dealer has completely missed the boat.
on the price
on the production.....unless you believe Toyota
on the additional options markup

They are limited production for Toyota which........ha ha.......is nothing like anyone else's limited production. There are going to be more of them than Honda builds S2000's. We'll have 15 of them before the end of March - our Honda store doesn't even get 15 S2000's in a year!.......well, maybe in 2003.

Some dealers throw out all the stops when a new car comes out. Yes, it may not come with the discount you may potentially get on it in 6 months, but over MSRP

That's one of the reasons why I love my dealer group - the owner will not allow us to charge over MSRP unless it is the first Porsche GT or the first BMW Z8 we got, and both of those cars were sold to other dealers.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is just total cheez whiz. Proof that Toyota does Fuhck up.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Mar 28 2006, 10:00 AM
That car is just total cheez whiz. Proof that Toyota does Fuhck up.
The car might be cheez whiz but I still think they will sell enough to make a profit. It is that giant "LOOK AT ME!" billboard that some people seem to want. (yes you Hummer owners)

But since Hummer sales are in the toilet maybe you are right about it being a screw up, who knows.

I do think it should have that "I am an attention whore" photo glued to the sides from the factory.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM

Heheh...just seems weird they're trying to make a splash with the FJ when true SUVs are experiencing downward sales trends.

It was a cool concept, just lost a bit in the translation that, to me, resulted in a cheesy car.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM
mav

I don't think its cheesey at all. Its a nice SUV, much better than a Jeep or H3. As for it being an attention whore, well the same can be said for our beloved S2000 and a slew of other cars.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM

I spent a few hours at a Toyota dealership over the last couple days (brother was buying a new Tacoma, I came along for moral support/cigarette buddy) and of course they had a few FJ's. Personally, I absolutely love it. I remember seeing pictures a few years back, and hearing they'd have about a $25k pricetag, I thought to myself "We'll see." Thing is, they did do it. Granted all dealerships are throwing on an addition 5 grand in mark up right now, but when it isn't the newest thing on the lot that'll disapate.

Oh and that yellow's gotta go, the blue looks great (keeps with the heritage) and surprisingly the black cherry looks pretty damn good.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM

That black cherry is a great color. I didn't realize the FJ is as long as it is. I'm excited to see a few off road, they should perform fairly well. Hopefully someone in my club will get one and take it out.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:48 PM

I've seen about 4-5 FJs at every toyota dealership I've been to this week, been looking for a Land Cruiser. So I don't know about limited production. If I were a 20 something or with no family, I would pick up one of these. I liked the interior and exterior and this is coming from a guy who didn't like the magazine pics. It's actually much bigger in person, maybe that's why I liked the potential versatility. Seen lots of Yaris cars and new Camrys too. Toyota is really kicking ass with the new product line up.

Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM

I drove a few of them extensively last week as my wife and I had been considering one for a few months now.

The ones that are at the dealerships currently are generally pretty well loaded, with the 4x2's around 29k and the 4x4's coming in at 30-31k.

The car itself is pretty sweet. Great power, sounds awesome with the TRD exhaust, and overall packaging is pretty sweet. Rear legroom is not the roomiest, and while people complain about a big blind spot, if you position your mirrors right it's not too bad. Has great off-roading potential, especially with the roof rails, winch, skid plates, BFG's, etc. -

Currently, the leases on the FJ are pretty wack. As it is a new vehicle, the residual is pretty low, around $15k for 3 years and $13k for 4 years, which contributes to a monthly payment of around $550-600 with minimum drive-off.

In the end, as the car will be mostly driven by my wife for errands, taking the baby around, etc., we're probably going to go with a Honda Pilot - more features/car for around the same price.

But for those who enjoy off-roading and want a cool-looking rig, definitely check out the FJ -

Quick Reply: Saw the FJ Cruiser on the Road