Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saturn Sky coming out very soon!

Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elise + Crossfire = Saturn Sky

I like it. Please please make a fixed roof coupe (with the turbo motor and aggressive suspension/tires)!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Feb 15 2006, 11:50 AM
Ill try to find some more concrete info.
Please do, thanks. I'm extremely skeptical at this point - I don't see how a 2100 lbs, aluminum, mid-engine, $45k car can be 90% similar to a 2860 lbs, steel, front-engine, $23,690 car.

Sky specs:
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/futu...es/sky_spec.pdf
Old 02-15-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wing,Feb 15 2006, 08:47 AM
That's what GM came up with on their own, then they went with the euro version instead. haha.
The car would have been an utter failure if it had come out looking like that joke of a blue square beast.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by wing,Feb 15 2006, 10:29 AM
The european division can do styling suspension and interiors, but the American division is stuck in the 60's, pathetic

Same with Ford, bring us some Euro Focus's not the NA style. Eventually they will get it........ I hope.
You wrong.
The Mondeo ST200 was created by taking the work that SVO did on the Contour SVT and exporting it to Europe. The C6 clearly isn't shabby, neither is the Ford GT. Chrysler has done a great job with the original Neon SCRs. They cleaned up in SCCA road racing when they first came out. The CTS seems to handle nicely. Hell when Ford and Mazda worked on the second gen MX-6/Probe, the Ford was the better handling car. Oh, and the Solstice is reported to be a great handling car. Grassroots Motorsports is very optimistic about the car.

Basically, you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by koala,Feb 15 2006, 01:33 PM
The car would have been an utter failure if it had come out looking like that joke of a blue square beast.
IMHO GM just makes awful cars.. with the exception of the 'vette. I mean seriously.. look at that awful attempt with that blue prototype.. who the hell thought that was a good idea? It's fugly.

It's such a shame that they shoot themselves in the foot every.. single.. time. The solstice sort of looks pretty on the outside, but performs well short of the mark (the mark being the MX-5), and the interior, as usual, is downright nasty.

It's almost as if you want to take their faces and show them what a bad job they did, like you would a dog after it pissed on your rug.

/end rant
Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 PM

From the reviews the MX-5 and Solstice are neck and neck. The Saturn has a very nice looking interior.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by dogas,Feb 15 2006, 03:00 PM
IMHO GM just makes awful cars.. with the exception of the 'vette. I mean seriously.. look at that awful attempt with that blue prototype.. who the hell thought that was a good idea? It's fugly.

It's such a shame that they shoot themselves in the foot every.. single.. time. The solstice sort of looks pretty on the outside, but performs well short of the mark (the mark being the MX-5), and the interior, as usual, is downright nasty.

It's almost as if you want to take their faces and show them what a bad job they did, like you would a dog after it pissed on your rug.

/end rant
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dogas,Feb 15 2006, 02:00 PM
The solstice sort of looks pretty on the outside, but performs well short of the mark (the mark being the MX-5), and the interior, as usual, is downright nasty.

/end rant
I plan to buy a Solstice GXP. Needless to say, I've done a lot of reading about it and driven it. It is not accurate to say the Solstice "performs well short of the mark (the mark being the MX-5)."

Just about every review I have read said the MX-5 is the better sports car, it is more responsive, more flingable and has a better sports car motor. Maybe that is what you are basing your judgment on. But then each review went on to find that the performance of the 2 was very close, with usually the MX-5 a bit faster through the slalom while the Solstice holds better on the skidpad.

I've read reviews where the Solstice got around the track faster than the MX-5, and where reviewers have written the Solstice inspires more confidence at the limit, and vice versa. It certainly suffers much less body lean than the Mazda and has a stiffer chassis as well - as stiff as the S2000.

The 2 cars perform extremely closely. That the MX-5 is the better pure sports car doesn't mean the Solstice performs poorly. Both are very good sports cars, just the Pontiac better suits my preferences.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=wing,Feb 15 2006, 06:47 AM]
Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 AM

This should get interesting a year or so down the road when the GXP comes out. Boy will the flame fest get bad once car magazines starts comparing the solstice GXP against the old s2k, 350z, 997 boxster (probably), z4, and the upcoming audi tt maybe?

Quick Reply: Saturn Sky coming out very soon!