Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saturn puts out 1/4 mile estimate for Sky Redline

Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=rockville,May 3 2006, 12:07 PM]JonBoy,
Remember, the SAAB 93 uses an Ecotec motor.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=aronparsons,May 3 2006, 04:30 PM] The Solstice and Sky may have good numbers in the magazines, but we have to remember who manufactures them.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The latest C&D had the base solstice (although oddly not the sky)outdoing the S2k on a skidpad (granted not a number that translates as well into performance as transient aka slalom numbers but hey whatever). Point is it would appear even the base car can throw up some performance handling numbers -- albeit the braking was at the back of the pack.

Now the real question that came out of that article was this. For all of the folks who cry foul when something comes along that is faster and write, "I didn't buy my car for straight line speed, I have my S2k because it is cheaper and handles better and gets good fuel economy."

Witness -- the Miata. ~8 grand cheaper than the S2000, better braking, better roadholding and better fuel economy. Hmm.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,May 3 2006, 04:47 PM]Here's my main beef with the Kappa twins, it's their assclown fanboi owners.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,May 3 2006, 10:33 AM
However, I completely disagree that the car can't handle and that Americans don't care about cornering or breaking technology.

We will certainly see how this one handles...

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...?ID=216345&FS=
Old 05-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 3 2006, 04:47 PM
I believe the "smoothness" complaints have centered around the willingness (or lack thereof) of the engine to rev. Apparently, it just doesn't want to head for the high revs where the power is like a sports car should.
Having driven a Sky, I would say it's the engine vibrations that bothered me. However, you are correct, it feels a bit like it has a heavy flywheel. Honestly, the power delivery is OK, no S2000. It also doesn't match my old Contour SVT's great V6. However my beef with the engine is the coarse vibrations. I didn't notice these vibrations out of the SAAB versions of the motor so I have hopes for the 2L.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbogxp,May 3 2006, 08:40 PM
Thank goodness there are no assclown Honda fanbois.

Oh, there are, but not in the same small-johnson, gotta compensate, overly-sensitive-to-anything, paranoid "the reviews are out to get us!", "anyone who doesn't like my car is biased and hates GM and America" mindset as many on the Solstice board. If anyone claimed a magazine was trying to keep Honda down by putting the review near a heavy-paper ad so people couldn't find it by flipping and had to use the goddamn table of contents I would flame the FU<K out of them, too. It's just ri-goddamn-diculous to even voice such an opinion. Or to think that a professional car tester who really has little reason to care either way would intentionally damage a car because he was "frustrated it's so good and might hurt his favorite brand?" Do you read what those co<kgobblers write sometimes? It's little-man's syndrome at its finest.

And btw, why is it that American car boards (whether Solstice, Corvette, Mustang, whatever) have such a HUGE percentage of illiterate dipshits on them? I mean, we occasionally get the random incoherent post here, and the A-TSX guys are no rocket scientists, but at least most of them have a somewhat firm grasp on wild ideas like punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. I don't expect every word to be perfect in every post, but sometimes reading an American car board is like trying to proofread a 3rd-grader's essay on quantum mechanics. Not only can't he write, but you get the idea that he doesn't really know what he's talking about, at least not enough to convey his thoughts to another human being.

Edit: And by the way, one of those comments (suggesting that the glass-breaking was done on "purpose") was by a freaking MODERATOR. The guy who is supposed to have a voice of reason, and ballance out the idiots. One major reason I stopped participating on that board was because of the wild over-moderation, not just of facts or personal attacks, but in suggestions that you get a lot of leeway if you toe the party line, but if you respectfully voice disagreement with the "Kappa Is God" motto, EVERYONE, mods included, are going to flame you.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

You have too much free time on your hands, Stack. Government jobs must be good.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 AM

Well, as long as we've hijacked this thread. I don't spend much time on the GM boards, none in fact. The Mustang boards I participate in are at about the same level as this one. One thing that might affect the representation on these boards is the fact that the cars have been around in one form or another since before most of the participants on this board were born. There are a ton of cheap ones around and that means very excited and excitable youngsters driving them. The results are almost inevitable.

As for the Solstice/Sky people, wow. Hopefully that's not representative. It sounds like they are waiting for someone to confirm their choice and that they may be a little fearful of buyer's remorse. There may also be some concern that the car(s) won't get a fair shake in the media because of bias towards Japanese/foreign cars. That may or may not be justified, but it seems to be a concern.

Time will tell with these two cars. By this time next year we should have a pretty good idea of where they will fit in the pecking order.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anybody notice that the article mentioned competition from the Honda Civic but not the S2000?

Quick Reply: Saturn puts out 1/4 mile estimate for Sky Redline