Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saturn puts out 1/4 mile estimate for Sky Redline

Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NEVER buy a GM car.. end of story.
Im sure the sat/sol is a good car. I personally do not like the looks.
I'm sure the turbo model will be faster than the S in a drag race, and maybe it will be a better track car. Thats cool. but re read my 1st sentence...
Now, hypothetically if I found GM Jesus and I got a sol/sat turbo.. the funny thing is here in GM american Trash Yo Oh, EVERY GM car guy would STILL bash the sol/sat. Why you ask? Because they will say the only reason GM made the car was to compete with the Japanese, so they sold out and made an American Wheat rocket. They dont care about cornering or breaking or Technology, the only care about BIG displacement... so despite GM Jesus trying to convince me, if I were still to get bashed, why not get bashed for owning a Jap car rather than a GM, i think its better. There is such a wonderful feeling that travels thru my body when i say to the Am Trash guru's that my car was 100% made in Japan.. unlike there GM cars (minus the Vette's I guess) that are mexican/Canadian, and who ever else, bolted together by people who take zero pride in there work, and whose company is 9 billion in debt. Plus, as I told GM Jesus... if your really the son of the creator.. why cant you create a F1 team.., I know.. cause Dad is still relaxing from creation, and is not capible of all the hard work involved.

OK GM guys, start bashing me... call me fan boi, tell me what F1 has to do with normal cars, tell me .. anything you want... its all cool... BUT before you do, Please read lines 2-4 of my post, as i do mean it sincerely.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 AM

Well you already have noted the odd criteria you have when buying a car...

However, I completely disagree that the car can't handle and that Americans don't care about cornering or breaking technology.

GM was the first company to produce a street legal car that could pull 1G in a turn. Delphi is developing an innovative twin disc braking system that looks quite innovative.
Also, having driven the Sky, it does handle. It does corner and it does brake.

I think your buying criteria is screwy but that's your choice. However, I think your conclusions about domestic reaction to the Sky is very wrong.

Also, Honda bought an F1 team, they didn't create one. Honda makes F1 motors. GM helped make a car that ran on the moon. What ever. F1 has as much to do with street cars as GM's Electromotive division does. Both produce things that run on tracks.

The really stupid thing is the people who bash it because of where it comes from rather than appreciating it for what it is. It may not do well in the market. It may not be as good as the Honda. So what? Is it fun to drive? Yes. Could an enthusiast possibly think it's a car to be enthusiastic about? Yes. Reportedly the NSX isn't as good a car as the Ferrari 360. Does that somehow make the NSX junk?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

Rockville, I did not say the car wouldnt corner or brake, i said maybe it will be faster than the S in drag race and maybe even a better cuicuit car.

Rockville all your points are good ones except misunderstanding what i just repeated above .. BUT
come to Youngstown Ohio in a turbo Sol/Sat.. go see what a warm reception you recieve from the masses of small penis big displacement mentality
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dmz,May 3 2006, 03:33 PM
The Solstice actually handles pretty good. It has a good chasis designed with the euro market in mind. The only things lacking is the engine and the interior. GM just does not know how to make a smooth 4cyl motor and the interior quality is typical GM which is awful to say the least.
evo gave it 2.5/5 stars-

+ To see it is to love it
- To drive it is to hate it
Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by brent_strong,May 3 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't really know where you get that GM does not know how to make a "smooth" 4 cylinder engine. The Ecotec is arguably better than anything Honda is producing right now and is certainly one of the best 4 cylinders on the market.
You haven't driven a Honda four-banger in the last ten years, then. Even the latest version in the Cobalt is less than inspiring. It's not even remotely smooth. I had one for 300 miles a few weeks ago, on business. I hated the car, period, though it's light years ahead of the Cavalier.

Bottom line - the Ecotec is far from smooth, much less better than most Honda four-bangers.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 PM

JonBoy,
Remember, the SAAB 93 uses an Ecotec motor. It's very smooth. Often the difference between smooth and not smooth is not the motor but how it's mounted and isolated.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,May 3 2006, 11:17 AM
evo gave it 2.5/5 stars-

+ To see it is to love it
- To drive it is to hate it
evo doesn't like any american cars
Old 05-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

The one thing that I can't beleive is that GM is going to allow this to happen. Look at the Turbo TransAm and Grand National (and many variations.) both of the these cars were killed off because of there ability to be faster than the precious 'vette. At the time, just like now, turbo cars are easy to get better times and more HP. I would not be surprised if this car gets nerfed somehow. That or the car will be very very limited. Nobody wants to get their rear handed to them by a 30k car, especially when you have paid 45k for your run of the mill vette or 60+k for your Z06 added to the fact that the same company made that less expensive car(its all GM.) I would not put it past GM to do some kind of switch-a-roo with these cars, i.e. some larger NA motor or higher HP variation of the Ecotec. Time will tell...
Old 05-03-2006, 04:30 PM

The Solstice and Sky may have good numbers in the magazines, but we have to remember who manufactures them. The cars won't be compared to the likes of BMW and Porsche like the S is; the S was their target and they may beat it in some aspects, but it's still not a Honda. I doubt they'll be taking over AS in SCCA autocross anytime soon
Old 05-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,May 3 2006, 11:45 AM
... However, as installed in SAAB 93 the Ecotec turbo is quite smooth and refined.
I don't care if they are smooth and refined, no one is going to install anything in me!

Quick Reply: Saturn puts out 1/4 mile estimate for Sky Redline