Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saturn likely to get the axe, Says Lutz

Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/business...ds.html?_r=1&hp

Its official now.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlX Boi,Feb 17 2009, 11:40 PM
Last year while I was in college, I was backing out of a parking spot with the top up and couldn't see a car coming behind me. I lightly tapped the Saturn LS's bumper and we stopped. The girl comes out and says "don't worry about my car, is your car okay?" I asked if she wanted to exchange insurance info in case she finds anything wrong. She said "My car's a piece of sh!t anyway, so it's okay."

This thread just reminded me of what the non-car enthusiast public thinks of the brand.
That isn't what people think of the brand. That's what one person thinks of her car. I've seen that same attitude from owners of Toyotas and Fords as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Saturn used to be a completely autonomous company, separated from GM. It had it's own CEO, it's own structure. But, like usual, the idiots at GM decided to bring it into the GM fold & it's products went to crap.

I have no idea what they are trying to do here. Why wait a few years to kill the brand line. Nobody is going to buy a Saturn now. Either kill it immediately &/or absorb the product into the GM lineup or kill it outright. More of that wonderful thinking that has gotten them to where they are now.

I was looking at the Saturn Vue 2 mode hybrid that is coming out. But obviously given that the brand is toast I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Just absorb the product line into GM & Call it a GM Vue & call it a day.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanman,Feb 18 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Saturn used to be a completely autonomous company, separated from GM. It had it's own CEO, it's own structure. But, like usual, the idiots at GM decided to bring it into the GM fold & it's products went to crap.

I have no idea what they are trying to do here. Why wait a few years to kill the brand line. Nobody is going to buy a Saturn now. Either kill it immediately &/or absorb the product into the GM lineup or kill it outright. More of that wonderful thinking that has gotten them to where they are now.

I was looking at the Saturn Vue 2 mode hybrid that is coming out. But obviously given that the brand is toast I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Just absorb the product line into GM & Call it a GM Vue & call it a day.
Takes awhile to shut down a car company. You have dealers, suppliers, etc to deal with. The dealers are probably the most important piece. People will buy the existing inventory with some relatively minor, say 20%, discounting which is better then nothing. The cars will be serviced at some GM dealer.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM

The early Saturns I drove were less refined than their competition. Too much engine and road noise for non-sports cars. I liked the original idea but was not surprised they sold poorly.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM

I remember the first Saturn sedan back in early 90s. I was seriously considering getting it instead of the Civic.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

If I could have bough a Sky RL band new for say, $24k, I would have seriously considered it over the S....but I love the S
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by LostMotion,Feb 18 2009, 10:18 PM
Takes awhile to shut down a car company. You have dealers, suppliers, etc to deal with. The dealers are probably the most important piece. People will buy the existing inventory with some relatively minor, say 20%, discounting which is better then nothing. The cars will be serviced at some GM dealer.
I understand that part, but 3 years ? Maybe that is the issue with the american auto industry right there. It's too monolithic to move quickly & effectively. Call it a day, work through it in 6 months & close the brand & fold that unit into GM. With the just in time production methods they shouldn't have anywhere near 3 years of parts inventory to go through, if they do they are showing why they are idiotic.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 18 2009, 02:24 PM
The early Saturns I drove were less refined than their competition. Too much engine and road noise for non-sports cars. I liked the original idea but was not surprised they sold poorly.
One of the best cars i ever owned. I had a 93 Saturn SL2. That thing was awesome. Never had any problem with it. It had well over 200k when i got rid of it, and it ran perfect even then. The problem was that they didn't have a product line. They had one product for essentially 10 years.. that just wasn't enough to keep the company viable.

Quick Reply: Saturn likely to get the axe, Says Lutz