Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K vs. Z3 M

Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear subframe in all Z3 cars splits from the chassis.

If you plan to buy a Z3 make sure you properly inspect the Subframe. If the spot welds are still intact the rear should be reinforced to keep it in one piece.

I have owned both. The S2000 is a more reliable car. The Z3s are now somewhat old. However the Z3 M coupe will be more of a collector car.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2000 is a no brainer on this one unless you drive it and find it too rough for a daily commute.

Cheaper to run (long term), faster, more exciting. Con: beats you up more.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost of maintance is the real story!!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM

I've couple friends driving the MZ3. Occasionally,We're driving in the canyons and visiting the bimmerforums.
The MZ3 is a better for car DD. Due to larger interior,Softer suspension and Hella MORE Torque compare with the S2k;However,Like someones already Mentioned.Watch out for the Sub Frame going South.Electrical Gremlin,Save your Lunch $$$ for repair.
As for the S2k,It's an Owesome car for the $.
GL
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by silversprint,Feb 3 2009, 06:36 PM
The rear subframe in all Z3 cars splits from the chassis.

If you plan to buy a Z3 make sure you properly inspect the Subframe. If the spot welds are still intact the rear should be reinforced to keep it in one piece.
This. One of my good friends has a M coupe, and he hardly drives it because he's so paranoid the subframe is going to fall out and tear up the back half of his car. Instead, he drives his stock Miata most of the time, and has more fun because he can tear it up and not worry.

There's something to be said about owning a car that you know you can redline all day long and not have any issues as long as you do basic maintenance. I love the Z3M cars, and I almost bought one instead of my S2K, but the cost of repairs and subframe issue (which costs $1000s to fix) versus Honda reliability made me think again.

Additional torque would be nice though
Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bloodred,Feb 3 2009, 07:33 PM

There's something to be said about owning a car that you know you can redline all day long and not have any issues as long as you do basic maintenance.
Additional torque would be nice though
bingo.

but the whole i wanna more torque whining is somewhat misplaced because it's not like the s54 or the porsche flat 6 is a torquey engine either. all need to be wrung out for max performance.

believe me, all them minivans and suvs you see out there these days... they will all more than keep up wit an m3 from a stoplight while making much less noise and putting forth seemingly less effort.

torque in a sports car is overrated esp in a DD car.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Feb 3 2009, 08:16 PM
bingo.

but the whole i wanna more torque whining is somewhat misplaced because it's not like the s54 or the porsche flat 6 is a torquey engine either. all need to be wrung out for max performance.

believe me, all them minivans and suvs you see out there these days... they will all more than keep up wit an m3 from a stoplight while making much less noise and putting forth seemingly less effort.

Uhh, the point can be seen from this graph.

A stock S52 has more torque at 2.5k RPMs than an F20C has period.

I'd love to see a minivan keep up with an M3 from a light. I'd love to see a minivan keep up with an S2K, much less my E36 328i.

All of that said, I know there's more to engines than torque (I understand the concept of power). Still, you can't deny the Z3 M's torque is much more accessible in DD than the S2K's.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 PM

I never driven a Z3M before, but I did drive Z4 3.0 auto.

It was different to be in a BMW than a Honda(assuming both cars are mint)

But honda interior is simple and feels much more modern. (talking about the Z3M from the pics)

You will fall in love with the F1 style gauge and the shifter, oh the shifter feels short and nifty!,

you feel every beat of the engine as it climbs up the meter to redline, and the sound at vtec you can listen to it all day. (ok way overboard)

I guess try both out and make your final decision then.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Feb 3 2009, 08:16 PM
bingo.

wah?

Even my 9 year old Boxster S has decent pull once you step on it from 3000RPMs as opposed to the sensation of absolute nothing if you do the same in the S2000....

As for the S54, last time I drove an MZ4 I was pinned in my seat when I floored it. It's no Corvette but that engine has great pulling power from anywhere in the rev range all the way to 8000RPMs.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to drive a badge get the BMW

If you like the driving experience get the S2000

Quick Reply: S2K vs. Z3 M