Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: You Pick the:
S2K
71.43%
RX-7
28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

S2K vs. RX-7

Old 02-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ttb' date='Feb 6 2005, 02:30 PM
when did people start expecting sports car to be as reliable as a civic? :-p
When Honda debuted the NSX and the S2000 for that matter.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Officer_down' date='Feb 6 2005, 02:12 PM
It is no doubt that the RX7 was a great sports car, but people just think it was much faster than an S2000 due to the turbo feel.
I don't think it's quite that simple. Notice how people remember the R versions as faster than the touring versions. I'm pretty sure the drive trains were identical - it's only the suspensions that were different. The 0.99 lateral gee in that old C&D article is still in supercar territory today.

The handling and the oneness with the car made it feel faster because more of the power was useful. You could pretty much floor it in any expressway traffic short of rush hour and still count on being able to thread your way through. The S2000 is pretty good in this respect too, but doesn't provide the same level of instantaneous confidence.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through around 6-7 articles of which all claimed the Rx-7 to be more of a 13.7-13.9 car...not much faster than the s2000..they trap around the same...but handling wise, the Rx-7 is superior. Its classed two classes higher in autocross
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 PM

In the article above, the RX7 only got 3 1/2 stars out of 5. And they said: "Our relationship started to sour after only a few months. The squeaks and rattles made us furious..."
Old 02-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car does have a lot of squeaks lol...the plastics feel somewhat cheap as well. If they think the Rx-7 is cramped..they should have sat in the s2000. Talk about maneuvering to get in.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 PM

I went back and forth on this as well for quite some time. The bottom line for me was that the s2000 is in the same price rang and 8-10 years newer, and you know that you are not going to spend a tenth of the time fixing it that you would with the rx-7. I just want something I can enjoy driving and not have to worry about stuff breaking all the time.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 PM

I, too, was considering both these cars. WHen it all came down to it, I chose the s2000 for its reliability and inclusion of a convertible (I'm a sucker for "removable rooves, be they T-Tops, targa, or convertible).

I believe the RX7 to be one of the most perfectly styled cars of all time. The design of the car is 9 years old and would still be mistaken for a brand new car. I believe the simplistic lines of the s2000 also lend themselves to this "forever new" look. (only time will tell if I am right).

I am a sucker for distinctness as well. The rotary engine as a source of distinction between this car adn almost all others was a major factor in my consideration of purchase. However, I ultimately decided that a 240 hp 2.0 litre NA 4 cylinder was pretty darn close.

In the end, the "reliability problems" of the FD made me shy away from it as I am a student ona budget. I use quotes for the words "reliability problems" because is certian measures are taken (such as the installation of a set of auxiliary temperature guages [exhaust etc] and a larger radiator), the reliability of the car drastically increases. Most of the complaints about reliability stem from people treating these cars like they're civic, not super-refined sportscars. Additionally, if stronger apex seals are added on a rebuild, they can last well over 100k miles.

Sigh, if only I had the money to maintain one...it'd be first on my list....
Old 02-08-2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ttb' date='Feb 4 2005, 01:24 PM
btw, 10pmg is when you're boosting like crazy. cruising on the freeway it gets about the same mpg as the s2000.
The thing was and still is a fuel pig. Highway mileage is around 13-14. And creaky. When you factor in all the turbo lag and overheating, its just not as great as people remember. If you are going to buy one, I'd buy one with a good solid frame and body but with a blown engine. Then you can be assured what you are getting.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:39 PM

First off, I like ttb's idea of comparing '02 models. If we're going to compare apples to oranges, we might as well make them as close as possible. In terms of reliability, ask someone who never modded their 7 and took great care of it how long it lasted. Mine went 70k before I decided it needed to become a monster. Once you start to mod, your car is only as good as the parts and your tuner. Ask me or evf2000 about it. I've driven my '93 RX-7 and evf2000's S2K for almost two and a half years. In terms of power mine feels a bit faster, but that's probably the torque difference. They both handle incredibly well. I'd have to give the edge to the S right now, but my suspension is 12 years old. (I'm working on updating it) I do, however like my steering input and feedback a bit more. The S2000's interior is a higher quality, but it gets kinda cramped after a while. Style-wise the S is awesome looking, but the 7 is, and always will, be gorgeous. As far as gas mileage goes, my 325hp RX-7 with a 10.4 AFR averages 14mpg, and I do drive her hard. Can't we just agree that both cars are amazing, and that either one is a great choice?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 93RedX7' date='Feb 9 2005, 05:39 PM
Style-wise the S is awesome looking, but the 7 is, and always will, be gorgeous. Can't we just agree that both cars are amazing, and that either one is a great choice?
They're both cute cars!

Quick Reply: S2K vs. RX-7