Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2k VS. 370z

Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Wow, iron-block LSX454 is WAY heavier than all-aluminum LS motors, significantly heavier than an old small-block with cast-iron heads, heavier than an old big-block with aluminum heads. Fine for Chevelles/Impalas/etc, not so much for smaller/light-weight sports cars!

Regarding aluminum LS V8 weight, my '94 FD weighed 2780 lb. with 1/8-tank before the LS2/L92 swap, and 2834 lb. with 1/8-tank after. Before = bone stock base model. After includes addition of bigger/heavier wheels and brakes, 4-pt roll bar, full interior with a lot of dynamat added, heavy electric MR2Spyder power steering pump (since replaced with lighter-weight G8 GT pump), with A/C condensor but without the compressor (since added, very light at ~10-15 lb.).
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***Warning rant to follow*****

I used to spend a lot of time in the car talk section of this forum long after my S2k was gone because it was great conversation and relevant posts. All that i have seen lately is extreme tangents like all the other sites out there. This started on page 1 as a S2k vs. 370Z comparison and by page 2 you are comparing an S2k to a ferrari and by page 3 you are arguing about the weight of LSx motors.

Can we go back to the way things used to be and keep posts relevant to the topic or start a new post please?

*****End Rant****
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
DxC

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1360633988' post='22330922
That said, it's telling when it takes two supercars and Porsche's most focused track weapon (perhaps except for a GT2 RS) to beat a $35K Honda roadster for normally aspirated specific output.
Surely the focus of the 458/918/GT3 were to take the BHP/L crown from Honda and their little S2000. Get real.

Do you really think Porsche cared much about the S2000 even though the Boxster somewhat competed with it ? Probably not.

Would anyone at Ferrari even know what an S2000 is ? Probably not.
It's funny you say that because Ferrari not too long ago released a statement for one of their cars (read it on jalop) that they produced the first piston road car to rev to 9k.

The hp per liter is just a sales pitch. Every car owner uses their own. To be honest I mean this car has no torque to be driven daily. It's noisy and loud, has little to no cargo space, the seats total the car, Psh idk why any of us drive it.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did, go to your local car max or other used car dealer that has what you want and play... have fun. its your money they want. I did the same when I was shopping my S2000.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

back to the topic:
today we had a track day on the small track (~0.5 mile, max speed ~110 kph, speed at turns ~65 kph) adn both Z370 (1 manual 1 auto) got into protection mode after 3 sessions of 5.5 minutes each (~30 minutes brake between sesions)

my S and all Miatas just kept going until drivers got tired....
my collant temp never got over 95 Degr C.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oil cooling is a major problem if you are going to track it, would probably even be a street issue in warmer climates. A friend of mine would also suffer fuel starvation at anything under 3/4 tank. Most cars require some upgrades for track use and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me although it is a turnoff.

On paper it's a huge performance upgrade (HP, brakes, wheels, etc). When it comes down to "feel", a lot of us can't quite make the change.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove the 370z when it first came out thinking I was going to buy it. After the test drive, all I could do was think about how much I loved my old S2000 more.

The S2000 is special, if you understand what you are buying. If you want something thats kinda cool to drive and is pretty sporty, the 370z is a safe choice, but it will be soon forgotten when you sell it/trade it in. The difference is when you buy an S and decide to sell/trade it in, you will quickly realize how much you miss it and regret the day you let it go.

I made a mistake of letting go my Ap1 for a new C6 back in 2006. Driving the C6 was fun yet painful at the same time. The car was just to fast to enjoy on the roads. On the other hand, I enjoyed the S so much more because it was an enjoyable experience all around.

My take on on this debate

If its your weekend car and don't track it S>370

If its your DD 370>S

If you DD and track S>370

If you plan on keeping it for a long time S>370

I hope this helped a little.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i guess we can take it to extremes and say S vs Z is like Ariel Atom vs Aston Martin (whatever model).
one is small, fast with little convinient features, the other very powerfull, cna go much faster and comfy.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Put a oil temp gauge on a S2000 and go hit the track. You better get one that goes over 300 degrees as that is what you are going to hit. The Z starts to cut power to conserve the engine while the S will just let you cook your engine. Any car that is tracked should have a good oil cooler so you can't really hold that against the Z. However the fuel starve issue on the Z is the much bigger issue IMO as it is a PITA to fill the tank before each session.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeSH
Put a oil temp gauge on a S2000 and go hit the track. You better get one that goes over 300 degrees as that is what you are going to hit. The Z starts to cut power to conserve the engine while the S will just let you cook your engine. Any car that is tracked should have a good oil cooler so you can't really hold that against the Z.
Well, I bought my '01 with 40k on the clock. Semi-regularly track it (~22 track days over the years), and it now has 157k on the odometer. No oil cooler. If oil temps are going over 300F, so be it. Also, if it doesn't make 200k, so be it.

Either the 370Z is programmed to overreact to "high" oil temps, or it really should have gotten an oil cooler as standard equipment.

Quick Reply: S2k VS. 370z