Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2k VS. 370z

Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving a my buddy's 370 I can honestly say that the biggest issue to me was the transmission feel. The S2K felt way more direct. That and like aforementioned, the large GT feel that the 370 has. I love the way the S2K feels to drive.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM

My buddy and I have this talk all of the time. He owns a Blue 2010 370. It really depends on what characteristics you are going to pay attention to. In real world driving you are going to be able to get about 18-19MPG in a 370, I've gotten 29 MPG in my S. Also if you don't get sync rev (or turn it off) you will not be able to throw the gearbox around as much as you can with the S. My friend says that when the car is cold and he isn't careful he can end up grinding gears in 2nd, something I have never had a problem with in my S. The issue goes away when the car warms up but the gear box is still a little more touchy than the bulletproof gearbox in the S. The 370 gearbox is also numb and not very mechanical feeling, and when you take the car into a corner you notice the extra weight of the Z. If you are planning on tracking the car look into what package you have, the base models don't have an LSD. However, there are quiet a few features that I look forward to when I drive the 370 around like climate control, heated seats, a great out of the box audio system, a quiet ride, an amazing exhaust note but it is still feels like a sporty sedan. The S is a race car with wipers. If you put both of these cars stock onto a windy track I don't have a doubt that the CR version or maybe even the regular S will be able to keep up with the Z. (I know that that 350 Nismo and the CR were about neck and neck when they were tested by Motor Trend). You put them in a straight line and the Z will blow the S away - which is why you have to consider what you want out of your car - like everybody has been saying the S is going to give you way more smiles if you drive it hard (at least I think so - this is an S2000 forum after all), but on a daily commute the luxury features that you find in a 370 will suit you much better.

Also yes V-tec kicks in at 6k but consider how fast you are going to be going in first gear when you hit it? If you need that extra power on the high you just have to work harder for it in the S but it is still there - the extra second that it takes from cruising in 6th on the highway to v-tec in 3rd is going to give you the same result as pushing the pedal on the 370 - sure the pedal is easier but I think of the 370 as another car while I think the S is pure engineering genius from the weight distribution, the gear box, to the motor (which liter for liter is the most powerful production engine ever produced) to the water drainage of the soft top, to the clean body lines - Again you are on an S2k forum - gotta represent.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
(which liter for liter is the most powerful production engine ever produced)
Sorry, that would be incorrect.

The Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997), and the forthcoming Porsche 918 (4.6L V8 - 570HP) all best Honda in this regard. I assume your are talking normally aspirated as Honda does not come anywhere close to competing with any of the most powerful engines ever produced based solely on displacement.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

That said, it's telling when it takes two supercars and Porsche's most focused track weapon (perhaps except for a GT2 RS) to beat a $35K Honda roadster for normally aspirated specific output.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
That said, it's telling when it takes two supercars and Porsche's most focused track weapon (perhaps except for a GT2 RS) to beat a $35K Honda roadster for normally aspirated specific output.
no one cares about hp/liter tho.... pointless #
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1360633988' post='22330922
no one cares about hp/liter tho.... pointless #
Exactly. It is the Honda Fanboy's go to point all too often unfortunately, too bad the F20C has long met attrition with this claim. What you rather drive, an S2000 or the aforementioned Ferrari / Porsche offerings ?

I am sure JonGirl will still oblige the S2000 is a better car.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Surely the focus of the 458/918/GT3 were to take the BHP/L crown from Honda and their little S2000. Get real.

Do you really think Porsche cared much about the S2000 even though the Boxster somewhat competed with it ? Probably not.

Would anyone at Ferrari even know what an S2000 is ? Probably not.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson' timestamp='1360620013' post='22330361

The Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997), and the forthcoming Porsche 918 (4.6L V8 - 570HP) all best Honda in this regard. I assume your are talking normally aspirated as Honda does not come anywhere close to competing with any of the most powerful engines ever produced based solely on displacement.

It was the highers hp per liter out of any NA motor, I think all the way up until the 458 came out, which wasn't that long ago. But its rather silly, because any one of us can easily uncork the S with typical bolt ons and up that hp per liter, surpassing what the old record was. Go FI and it just got ridiculous the power -to weight- per liter.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM

The 370Z is just an overgrown Datsun in my books I'd personally rather have an early 70's 240Z.... they handle better, have better throttle response.... even with twin carbs and are actually faster in a straight line than a new Z..... go figure. In case you don't notice, I'm a big Datsun fan
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by LUV2REV' timestamp='1360626397' post='22330601
[quote name='Jeremy Clarkson' timestamp='1360620013' post='22330361']

I think it was all the way up until the 458 came out, which wasn't that long ago. But its rather silly, because any one of us can easily uncork the S with typical bolt ons and up that hp per liter, surpassing what the old record was. Go FI and it just got ridiculous the power -to weight- per liter.
[/quote]

Alas. The same can be said for many other automobile's with "bolt on" modifications. You are not going to gain much with bolt-on's with either the F20/22C, you know that. We are talking factory specification, normally aspirated vehicle's here. If you want to bring Forced Induction into the picture than that opens up a whole new world.

Quick Reply: S2k VS. 370z