Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2k VS. 370z

Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k VS. 370z

I was originally planning on selling my car for an S2k... 'till just recently...

So.. I don't own either. I've driven S2k's, but not any 370's yet.
I liked driving the S2k, it was fun and felt like a real fast go kart.
Yesterday, I sat in a 370... and I came... ._.
The interior design is amazing, I love it - the gauges, the material, the feel, the look, etc.. it was all near perfect in my opinion.
I'm going to try and take one out on a test drive soon, I can't wait.

The S2k is an incredibly reliable car, I know.
It's still one of the cars on my wanted list, but when I sat in the Z, and acknowledged that the price tag read only $25,000 (give or take), I was blown away. A 2011 370 with under 40k miles, for $25k. At that point, I think I told myself to go with the 3.7 liter, 6 banger, Z34.

I know I could get the S2k, turbo it to at least 400whp (which was my plan), and have tons of fun with it..
But I feel as if the Z would suit daily driving a bit better.. and it's still fast with those 332 ponies!
I think it'd get way more compliments as well, even in stock form!
I owned a 300zx TT in the past, which was loads of fun! I'm thinking I want to get back into the Z game.

I don't want a 350.. I think they're played out and I think the 370 is 5x better in every aspect.

My only questions are, are there any users on here who own both, and who would like to give me a quick run-down of their personal comparison between the two?
Also, how's the reliability on those VQ's? I know they're great motors, but are 370's really reliable?
Granted, if I get one, it'll have less than 50k miles, and won't need any big repairs any time soon - but I'm just asking, in the long run?
Compared to the F motors in the S?

Anyways..

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I cannot fully relate but I can hopefully offer you some insight which may or may not help you.

This is my second honda (first was a comptech'd s/c 04 rsx-s) My rsx-s had absolutely no issues and my s 2004 2000 though I've only had it since July of 2012 with 7600 when purchased (13,600 now) ..it's run perfectly-just needed to replace the original 9 year old battery. I have owned two infiniti prior as well (both g35's one 04tt and one 06 built motor). Both my 04 and 06 which had the 3.5vq had oil consumption issues (my 04 had no issues, my 06 went through 2 motors- the last one being the fully built motor with ARP head studs, valve springs, retainers, etc), this was a tsb that many headache'd g coupe owners experienced. the 07-up 350z and later the g37 platform (and of course the 370z) utilized the 3.7L VQ-HR motor (the 07 up 350z used 3.5 HR) which obviously put out more power and to my knowledge did not have the oil consumption issues, this was much more a prevailant issue with the 6mt's than the autos. They were fun cars to drive, in my opinion not too expensive to modify, but it's apples to oranges, roaster to a touring car. the 370z in my opinion yes looks far better than the 350z, however they are heavy(ier) than the s2000. I have driven a 370z lately, I think it was a couple of months ago and they are fun to drive, the fit and finish is definitely an improvement in some aspects but in my opinion the s2000 is purely a driver's car, less amenities, more feel of the road. It's all about what you want out of a car, both can provide, but your destination is the deciding factor.

sorry for the long type- it's slow here at work, this keyboard sucks, I think someone nutted on the inside, damn keys won't depress properly.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM

The VQHR engines are pretty bulletproof. Some people (car magazines) have complained that they are harsh at high rpm. Personally, I don't get that statement. I find it perfectly acceptable.

The 370 will give you effortless torque and be more relaxed in daily driving but I can't say my 08 S2K was ever anything but a joy to drive too. Both engines are enjoyable. The other main knock on Nissan's VQ engines is that they are not exactly the poster child for fuel efficiency.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

If you modding is important to you, don't get the Z. I have an S and 08 HR 350z and the S community is worlds more active. Lot's of people here build their own motors and do their own mods. For some reason the 370z/350z crowd isn't inclined as such. Sure, there are a few, but they rare. Spend some time reading the forums.

If modding isn't important, get the 370z, it's infinitely easier to live with as a daily. The Z is more of a big GT, and the S is small roadster; apples and oranges.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM

It sounds like you want the Z. Test drive it, and if it's everything you think it is and want it to be, then buy it and don't look back.

The S2000 is a special car but it's not for everyone, and that's okay.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Go w/ the 370 if it's a dd. If you want something special, get the S.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, go with your gut feeling. I can say you pretty much decided on the z. For a dd its perfect but, you should definitely get a s later on down the road.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

u need to ask urself what kinda driver you are. the z is gonna be more DD friendly. the s2000 is more rewarding to drive. what are your plans with the car? spend time driving both cars and make your decision. both cars drive completely different from one another.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM

I think I'm gonna go with the Z. I sat in it.. didn't drive it.. just sat in it, and was sold lol. Obviously I'll test drive it and think about it some more but I think it'll be my only option after the drive.
I'll definitely get an S in the future, as I've always wanted one.. but the Z tickles my fancy a little more

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure to drive the 370 as it is quite different from the s2000. The s2000 is way more fun to drive for me even with the torque disadvantage, and I drive a LS3 car for daily. I had a few friends who really wanted the 370 till they drove one.

Best of luck to your choice!

Quick Reply: S2k VS. 370z