Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K vs 06 eclipse

Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see there is great sensitivity and defensiveness to several in regards to this car. I apologize if I offend anyone as I'm very objective and impartial. I was definitely mis-read, because I high rev my S2000 all the time, I just don't launch it at 5k+ rpms to get that really good jump. It's much too hard on a car like this that needs to start out at a high RPM to get a good launch. I thought I was speaking captain obvious.

As far as the S2K vs Eclipse GT in straight line performance goes, I don't see how anyone can say they aren't damn close. The only reason I make an opinion that I think it will pull from a highway roll is only based on other cars I have driven. I may not be correct as I'd have to drive one to truly know. Don't get offended by my opinions. You have to objectively look at all angles. Example (overrating and underrating of hp that occurs often) The Neon Srt-4 was rated at 230hp, which was way understated since it dynos at about 220-225whp on bone stock form. For whatever reason, Dodge chose to intentionally underrate the specs. The factory numbers can be deceiving. What matters is wheel HP. I just was looking at stock dynos, and the 06 Eclipses have been putting out 240-249whp and about 235 torque at the wheels. That's 30+whp more and nearly 100 feet more wheel torque then the S2000 on average, and that makes up for the excess weight. They respond well to intakes and exhaust, so for about a grand you can mod it to be considerably faster then stock.

I don't get bothered by information like this because I knew all of this before buying my S2000. I love this car, and I don't rip on other cars. If I wanted a pure straight line car I'd have gotten a GTO I didn't want to turn this into a debate, so I won't comment further. It really shouldn't matter. I love my S2000 period, which is why I own it. I realize now that you can't talk objectively on this forum as people are so partial they will get offended. I'm sorry about that guys.

vishnus11: you're allowed to disagree with me, because this is subjective as I'm making an opinion myself and truly do not know. I know of the other cars I mentioned as being faster from a roll, but you have to take a look at some stock dynographs on the 06 Eclipse, and you might change your mind, as this is what makes me think from a roll it will slightly pull on an S2000. I guess we'll never know the true answer, and it can be argued to death.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez this is gettin' heated up in here.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mgp 2675,Sep 15 2006, 10:41 AM
Jeez this is gettin' heated up in here.
Yeah, and I feel bad about it. I had no idea people would get offended at this stuff. To me it's objective chit chat, but after this I'll try and keep opinions to myself, so I don't upset anyone on here.

Regardless of which you think is faster, I don't recommend under-estimating the Eclipse. They respond much better to bolt on intakes and exhausts due to the large displacement, which I'm sure many buyers will end up doing since it's affordable, and it's very easy to add 40+whp to this car without turbo'ing or supercharging it. We don't have that luxury with our S2000s, due to it's small displacement.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Shouldn't have to keep opinions to yourself, otherwise forums wouldn't exist. I see your point though.

However, I do disagree about very easily adding 40+whp to an eclipse without FI. "Very easy" to me would mean an intake, exhaust, and possibly a header. That isn't adding anywhere near 40+whp.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=S2K-DJ,Sep 15 2006, 02:49 PM] Yeah, and I feel bad about it. I had no idea people would get offended at this stuff.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=mgp 2675,Sep 15 2006, 10:55 AM] Shouldn't have to keep opinions to yourself, otherwise forums wouldn't exist.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:55 AM

RX-8's aren't too bad. I'm not trying to argue, but there is no way he got 25-30whp with bolt-ons. What the company claims is really irrelevant, considering that companies like K&N claim 13whp from their cold-air intakes, and we all know they don't generate anything close to that. You can't measure his performance just because he pulled on you on a highway, since power is derived in many different ways. Could be low-end, you never know. As you said he was keeping up before those mods. An RX-8 isn't typically a car I'd buy to race on the highway, so it's not the best example. Tell him to dyno his car, and I guarantee you he didn't get what he claims.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=mgp 2675,Sep 15 2006, 11:55 AM] RX-8's aren't too bad.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:49 PM

I'm kinda an old guy and the cars I drove as a teen and in my 20's did'nt have any thing to fancy so you just kinda drove by the feel and sound of the car. I drive my s the same way with never giving a look at gauges---------it feels streamline thru all beautiful 6 gears. I dare say I would wager a paycheck against the eclipse. Thats not to say the eclipse is a bad car in any way. Oh yeah, and trow a couple of cones in the road and it won't even be close.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by S2K-DJ,Sep 15 2006, 12:23 PM
Well, this should clarify things for you. This header in the link below has dyno proven to produce 20.9whp and 19.2 of torque, but figure it to be a bit generous so 15whp is more likely. Add in a catless 3 inch exhaust, and cold air intake, and you can reach 25-30whp. You'd be surprised at what these mistubishi engines can do, even with bolt ons. If you still don't believe it, jump on the forum, do some reading, and look up some dynographs of those who have modified their car n/a with bolt ons. My friend DEFINITELY produced at least 25whp. That car really came to life in the high end. He was not smog legal though, and he put the stock exhaust back on with just the headers when inspection came up. Legally you might not get those kind of results that he got, but damn close.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...weclipse.org%2F
You have just repeated yourself in the whole "claiming dyno-proven results" issue. That cleared absolutely nothing up. As I said before, I do not believe a word that comes out of those companies' mouths. I've modified enough turbo and N/A cars to know. In fact, one time I should have had close to 300whp with the "dyno-proven" power gains that brands like HKS, K&N, Invidia, and AEM "claimed", but when the dyno came up I was just about 45-50whp short.

Of course, some N/A cars have had bolt-ons and produced very impressive numbers, but not those specific numbers from a 3rd gen. Mistubishi Eclipse...sorry. And you're right, Mistubishi's can do a lot...I would disagree with anyone that says the Evo isn't an absolute monster. But you can't judge a company by one car. Besides, every person I know with an eclipse (some 2nd gen. some 3rd gen.) seem to have a new problem every time I see them.

Quick Reply: S2K vs 06 eclipse