Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K vs 06 eclipse

Old 09-14-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Sep 14 2006, 09:58 PM
hmmm...so you reckon that from a roll at say 30mph with an S2 in VTEC, that the S2K would lose.

It doesn't seem plausible. I personally think that the S2k would pull on it. It would be close if the Eclipse was a V6 manual, but I'd still give the edge to the S2k (maybe I have too much faith in VTEC )
Well, I'm taking an educated guess, and this is subjective. I can tell you this. I own a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 as a daily driver (recently traded in my 04 STI in for it because I needed a more friendly daily driver). That car is a low 14s car. From a roll, it will definitely take out my S2000, even though it weighs 3600lbs. It's that torque that really gets these cars going, and that N/A 3.8 on the new Eclipse GT has plenty of smooth even power all the way across the power band. We don't have torque, so we rely on Vtec, which makes it very difficult to keep up with these cars. I'd love to test drive one to prove what I think is a very underrated car from a roll. I know I'd really have to abuse my S2000 to keep up with even my MS6. The torque builds instantly, and combines so well with the HP, it's just easy to go fast in. You gotta rev the S2K and get near that vtec range to run low 14s, and that to me is way to abusive for this car. Cars like the MS6 and Eclipse GT give you that power and torque instantly, without really having to launch it hard to get going. That's awfully tough for the S2K to beat in a straight line, but if you put a really good driver in an S2K and a bad one in an Eclipse, it can beat it. IN a perfect world with dead equal drivers, I just don't think it can beat one.

The S2000 is best left to avoid racing these big on torque cars. It's just not that type of vehicle. It offers so much more, and you don't own one to go fast in a straight line, or race in 1/4 mile. Now on the turns, not even close, but then again, the Eclipse is a luxury sports coupe, and isn't in the same class, nor is it built for that. They have the EVO, and that's a car you don't mess with in an S2000.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
d.h

IMO Stock vs. Stock, the S2000 will out-perform the eclipse anyday. Whether its on a street or the highway, it's no match for the S2000. I'm not saying that it will pull 10-12 cars lenght or anything, but it will pull.

06' 3.8L GT: 260hp/260torque FWDweighting in at 3500lbs. To get an idea, that's the same ballpark of a Acura TL. Can you beat a TL? Do you think you can beat a TL? I'll let you guys figure that one out. Now someone mention, what if you mess up? My questions is...what if they mess up? If you mess up a shift, even the new miata would put the hurt on you. And just like most cars with torques, it will pull on the S2k hard from a stop, but once the S2k hits vtec,....it's fishing time!!

Now I'm not saying that eclipse is a crappy car. Heck, I still think the best eclipse was the 2nd gen GS-T/GSX which was what I used to own. Those can be monsterous with the proper mods. And they were only 4cyc 2.0L FI. But I think that if some engineer is gonna stick a 3.8L engine and only putting out that kind of number, they ought to rework the engine a little bit.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
d.h

The torque builds instantly, and combines so well with the HP, it's just easy to go fast in. You gotta rev the S2K and get near that vtec range to run low 14s, and that to me is way to abusive for this car.
It is true that torque is a good thing. I'm sure there are many of S2k owners out there that will tell you that they can use more torque. But on the other hand, there are many s2k members that witnessed how our car can hang with cars like the Z, which has almost double our car's torque.....once it gets in the vtec range. On a street, if you lauch right, it's only a little bit till you hit vtec....and when you shift on the dot, the car falls right in vtec zone again. It's not like we have to start all over again.

Abusive is really different from person to person. A Z have to rev the crap out of the engine to run against a S2000. Are you saying that they can beat the S2000 even without driving in an abusive manner. I can tell you that our car is made to rev. That's why its the only car that has a 9k redline, other than high-end exotics car. I had a 94' RX-7. Its a rotary engine. Because of the design of the engine, it is made to rev also. Can you say that the Mazda6 is made to rev?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 01BerlinaS2K,Sep 14 2006, 06:57 PM
new eclipse = garbage
Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM

[QUOTE=d.h,Sep 14 2006, 11:01 PM]

Abusive is really different from person to person.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 AM

I don't get how you guys think the S2K is slow from a roll...once a car gets moving...HP plays as much a part in from a roll acceleration as torque does and drag coef. starts to come into play as well. I doubt there is a stock FWD car with less than 300 hp that will beat an S2K from lets say a 55-105 mph roll. My 01 5 speed prelude is slower by a good bit than my S2000 but I've hung with stock WRX's from 50-100mph rolls and hung on the rear bumper of a 1998 BMW M3 that my friend owns....we even ran that 3 times 60-100+ with the same results. I know the S2K would beat a stock WRX from a roll. Unless the Eclipse is a good bit faster from a roll than the lighter, equal torque WRX I'd bet money on the Stock S2K v. Stock new Eclipse from 50-100mph.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=S2K-DJ,Sep 15 2006, 05:09 AM] 2006 Eclipse GT 6 speed Manual
Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=JLUDE,Sep 15 2006, 04:29 AM] I don't get how you guys think the S2K is slow from a roll...once a car gets moving...HP plays as much a part in from a roll acceleration as torque does and drag coef. starts to come into play as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 AM

^ good stuff

the S2K is certainly no drag car.... In my normal driving I accelerate at a moderate pace with traffic....However, when a set of twisties come up I quickly warm the tires up with some in-lane slalom (at the dismay of anyone following me) and then proceed to do 2-2.5X the suggested speeds through the turns...a simple feat for this car without even a hiccup...I love the curves in this car so much it inspired my license plate "S CURVES"

When I drive my company truck (F150) I look like this when I hit a nice open backroad because I can't enjoy the drive in the curves.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Sep 14 2006, 09:34 PM
One is a true sports car, one is a "sporty" FWD car.
That would be my opinion as well.

Quick Reply: S2K vs 06 eclipse