Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K --> SLK

Old 05-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's hardly a weak car it had more than 50% the Tq of the s2k. Great little car. Enjoy
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nothing good to say about SLKs. Other than my personal opinion about their terrible looks, the standard SLK is a fat pig of a small roadster and the 55 AMG is just a overhyped, more powerful fat pig of a small roadster. If you liked how quick and nimble the S2000 was but didn't like how slow it was, then get a boxster S or a Cayman. An SLK is terribly sloppy in comparison.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bknreh
That's one thing I worry about. I guess I'll find out when I get to test drive it. My dream car is a Lotus Elise, but I haven't found the perfect one for me yet.
If your dream car is an Elise, why not wait till you find a clean one? My buddy in DC has an Elise S - I much recommenend getting a supercharged model. Sports cars don't get much more pure/uncompromising.

Is the Jeep still gonna be your daily? If so, I'd go with the purer sports car.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by juntsky
I have nothing good to say about SLKs. Other than my personal opinion about their terrible looks, the standard SLK is a fat pig of a small roadster and the 55 AMG is just a overhyped, more powerful fat pig of a small roadster. If you liked how quick and nimble the S2000 was but didn't like how slow it was, then get a boxster S or a Cayman. An SLK is terribly sloppy in comparison.

This.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I feel pretty confident that I'd love a Cayman, but I'm looking in the <$20k price range. I don't expect to find a Cayman there.

Originally Posted by robhoy
Originally Posted by bknreh
That's one thing I worry about. I guess I'll find out when I get to test drive it. My dream car is a Lotus Elise, but I haven't found the perfect one for me yet.
If your dream car is an Elise, why not wait till you find a clean one? My buddy in DC has an Elise S - I much recommenend getting a supercharged model. Sports cars don't get much more pure/uncompromising.

Is the Jeep still gonna be your daily? If so, I'd go with the purer sports car.
It's not that I can't find a *clean* Elise. I just can't find an *affordable* Elise. At this point, I'm not willing to invest >$30k for a weekend toy. The Jeep will (mostly) still be my daily, yes.

Thanks for all the diverse opinions from everyone. If there's one thing I've gathered it's that I really need to test drive some other cars before making a decision.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Have you ever considered a 968 Convertible?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I've heard the manual shifter in the SLK is so bad most people prefer the automatic. Honestly I wouldn't bother with an SLK unless it's the 55 model.

If you're looking for something right around, or just over, $20k have you considered a base Boxster or Cayman? You should definitely be able to locate a few of those in your price range. Better/equal handling to the S2000 and faster in a straight line (though just barely). I don't know much about the longevity of Boxster soft tops but if you do some searching on Porsche forums you can probably find an answer.

Regarding S2000 soft tops I don't know how any of you fellas are still on the original top. My 2007 model wore holes through 2 tops (passenger side B pillar area) during my 4 years of ownership. And my car was garage kept all 4 years.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Regarding S2000 soft tops I don't know how any of you fellas are still on the original top. My 2007 model wore holes through 2 tops (passenger side B pillar area) during my 4 years of ownership. And my car was garage kept all 4 years.
Wasn't there a known issue in the later years for rough edges on the frame? I think it should have been de-burred during the first replacement which would have probably prevented the second replacement.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Yup, I 100% assumed that my local Honda dealership had the wherewithal to do that. Of course those idiots did not. And refused to cover the cost when the 2nd top wore out (first top wore out whilst still under the factory warranty coverage).

Quick Reply: S2K --> SLK