Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K --> SLK

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I guessing it will feel heavy, and not as analogue as the s.
That's one thing I worry about. I guess I'll find out when I get to test drive it. My dream car is a Lotus Elise, but I haven't found the perfect one for me yet.

Originally Posted by waltk88
If you really don't want another S2000 but are dead set on a roadster, test drive a Boxster before making a decision.
Boxster has been on my list, too. The only thing I don't like about the Boxster is the soft top. On my S2000, I went through two soft tops within three years and vowed I would never buy another soft top convertible.

Originally Posted by termigni
I had a few variants. SLK350, SLK350 with AMG kit, SLK55AMG.

SLK is luxury sports car and S2000 is sports car. The ride in the SLK350 is much quieter and refined whereas S2000 is harsh, loud and feels very light and cheap(due to less insulation and fabric top vs. hardtop on the SLK)

Speed wise, I ran 60-110mph on a slight uphill vs a S2000 (Stock vs. Stock) and the SLK350 was actually walking away from S2000. However, S2000 is a quicker car on road courses, not saying that the SLK350 is a slouch in the turns neither. it's about compromises. everyone knows MB can make good ass sports cars. but MB chose to make SLK what it is.

Choosing between SLK 55 AMG and S2000? hands down 55AMG. Loved that V8 growl in that tiny roadster. had a black one and kids used to run up to me asking me about the "bat mobile". what a perfect daily sports car it was..
Thanks for all the personal experience! Very valuable. I love the 55AMG also, but I hate that you can't get it with a manual.

If I end up with this one, I'm going to have it wrapped matte black "batmobile" style as well. I'm just not a fan of white.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
3250 lbs with only 268hp? I would pass... That gives it a worse power to weight ratio than a Stock S2000 which is already slow.
I worry about that a little, but I have to imagine that the increased torque makes up for that. I guess I'll find out when I drive it!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bknreh
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1430506916' post='23598317
3250 lbs with only 268hp? I would pass... That gives it a worse power to weight ratio than a Stock S2000 which is already slow.
I worry about that a little, but I have to imagine that the increased torque makes up for that. I guess I'll find out when I drive it!
The torque helps when you are not winding it out but 258 lb ft is hardly anything worth writing home about and the trade off is a lowly 6200 rpm redline. It just depends on what you want. I am sure the SLK350 makes a fine car for daily driving and can hit the back roads and be reasonably entertaining. Are you set on having a convertible? IF not, the Cayman might offer what you are looking for. Another option would be a targa top Corvette. That way you can take the top off when you feel like it but still have the benefits of a hard top.

The only other convertible hard top I can think of is an NC Miata. You might find those to your liking, they won't have the power of and S2000 but I bet 90% of the driving fun is there (at least it was when I had an NA miata for a few months). It's not always about going wicked fast, especially on the street. The great thing about that NA miata is that you could absolutely cane the shit out of it on the public roads and barely be breaking the speed limit. Everything was so immediate. it's the most connected I have ever felt to the driving experience. Unfortunately I was a bit too big for it and the bilstein suspension absolutely tore up my back. I can definitely see myself buying another one, the value proposition is just too strong especially as a second car.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Another option would be a targa top Corvette. That way you can take the top off when you feel like it but still have the benefits of a hard top.
Or a Vette vert.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Are you set on having a convertible? IF not, the Cayman might offer what you are looking for. Another option would be a targa top Corvette. That way you can take the top off when you feel like it but still have the benefits of a hard top.
It doesn't *have* to be a convertible. I do like both the Corvette and the Cayman, but I don't know how great of either I could find for around $20k.

The only other convertible hard top I can think of is an NC Miata. You might find those to your liking, they won't have the power of and S2000 but I bet 90% of the driving fun is there (at least it was when I had an NA miata for a few months). It's not always about going wicked fast, especially on the street. The great thing about that NA miata is that you could absolutely cane the shit out of it on the public roads and barely be breaking the speed limit. Everything was so immediate. it's the most connected I have ever felt to the driving experience. Unfortunately I was a bit too big for it and the bilstein suspension absolutely tore up my back. I can definitely see myself buying another one, the value proposition is just too strong especially as a second car.
Visually, the only Miata I like is the new ND. I have also considered a BRZ/FRS. But I feel like all three of those are going to be too anemic. Don't they all have less HP and torque than the S2K?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into a 2zz swapped Mr2 Spyder... They can be had for $10k...

"Poor Mans" Lotus Elise
Old 05-01-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bknreh
Boxster has been on my list, too. The only thing I don't like about the Boxster is the soft top. On my S2000, I went through two soft tops within three years and vowed I would never buy another soft top convertible.
How does happen? I went through 4 years of New England weather, never seeing one day in a garage and the top was still like new...
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Look into a 2zz swapped Mr2 Spyder... They can be had for $10k...

"Poor Mans" Lotus Elise
interesting....
Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by bknreh' timestamp='1430507200' post='23598325

How does happen? I went through 4 years of New England weather, never seeing one day in a garage and the top was still like new...
First top got a hole popped through it when one of my latches failed.

Second top was starting to wear a hole through at one of the hinges in the top frame. Incidentally, that's when I traded it in.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by bknreh' timestamp='1430507200' post='23598325

Right? My '00 is still on the factory top!

Quick Reply: S2K --> SLK