Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The S2K might be a short timer!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The S2K might be a short timer!

Don't get me wrong I really like the car. It's my first Honda so it's been a new interesting community and aftermarket.

The go-kart kind of driving experience, the fact that it's not a common site on the road, great looks, etc., are all huge pluses.

My original plan was to go FI. Likely something P&P like a supercharger system from SOS or Kraftwerks. This assuming new or lightly used, plus clutch/gauges is in the $6k-7K range. I do think it would resolve one my issues that the car is a little underpowered, at least for my tastes.

However, I'm really starting to rethink this plan. I've been down the modification road before (_way_ down it ), and I'm not sure I want to go to that level of modification again. I think vs. spending that money, I'd consider that cost towards a different vehicle. I think I'm getting out of the whole aftermarket performance thing.

I think I might want to go a little more "upmarket" too. Don't take that the wrong way - I'm not saying I'm too much of a "fancy lad" for an S2000, but if I have the opportunity to own something at a higher price point, and it's fits really well in our lifestyle, why not?

The question is .... what? I want to keep with the convertible theme.

I'm also semi-convinced I want my next ride to be a Porsche, *but* I've been pretty set on not owning a Boxster. Why? I don't know. I think for some time I've had this idea that the only Porsche has the engine in the rear and the 9-1-1 designation. I don't even think it's the "entry level" mindset either as you can option out a new one for like $80K (or more).

I realize it's the "superior" MR platform, [just about] as "fast" as a NA 911 Roadster, but I think the extreme number of them in this area has kind of diluted them for me a bit.

I have driven a couple, one 986 and one 987, but I'm 100% sure the 987 wasn't an S (the 986 _might_ have been). The 986 I drive for a couple of laps at Roebling, the 987 just futzed around town for < 5 minutes. Not sure about any of the other equipment/packages, other than both were manuals. I haven't even sat in a 987.2 I'm thinking a late model 987, probably a CPO car to quell any worries about major maintenance costs. I see a local car on Ebay, CPO, '07, 24K miles, manual, S model, jazzy terracotta interior, nav/premium audio for like $44K, and I'm figuring that's probably the price area for that kind of setup.

Most folks at the major Porsche boards are pretty clear that the Boxster is the roadster to own, and that the extra premium a 997 convertible demands is just not worth it unless you can't get over the psychological issues

I'm *just* starting this whole train of thought, so I have no idea where this will lead me. I'm pretty confident I do not want a BMW product (had a Z3 and two others), and in the "premium" roadster market, there's not a ton of options. I'm also pretty sure I don't want to go back to a Corvette. A C6 vert would be a nice ride, and with a manual, Z51 it would provide a decent amount of fun, but I think I'm really more about new experiences.

I would be up for any other options too. Again, convertible only, and a 2 or so year old model to suck up a little of that initial depreciation hit.

This is way early in the process, but I think I'm pretty sure I don't want to go with another $8K in aftermarket on the S. It's running perfect and looks great, so I can have fun with my ride in the interim.

Anyway, I'll update as this slowly moves forward.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM

too bad you won't consider a hardtop, but given your location it's understandable. my '06 Cayman S (CPO) is for sale. with the boxster i suggest you check out threads on planet-9.com to get more info on it.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah, the weather is generally pretty fantastic all year, and it's a weekend only car. We were convertible-less for a couple of years we really missed it, even with the fun I had with my Z06 ( I didn't even have a targa!).

I haven't heard of that forum (generally only read Renntech for Porsche related content), but thanks!

Oh and good luck with the sale of your CS.

I also wanted to add that even though I wrote "short timer" in the thread total, it's not _super_ short. I mean, the end of this year would be about 2 years. I guess now that I've gotten a good taste of the small, fun roadster at a pretty inexpensive entry cost, I'm ready to consider another with a few upgrades
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Especially if you want to keep with a convertible, the options are limited. The Z4 sDrive35whateverElse is great as a luxury cruiser that isn't embarrassing (ie. Lexus SC430) and can go, but it's not going to have nearly the handling experience you're used to. I think the Boxster is the only choice that matches everything you're looking for... if you want something less common, I would totally grab a Boxster Spyder if I were you. That's a hell of a car.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM

The Boxster sure is a nice looking car. I can see skipping the Corvette. I'm a big fan of the Corvette but truth be told half the reason why I defend it is because so many of the things people piss and moan about are so damn dumb or off base (leaf springs, only 430 hp out of 6.2L etc). I haven't drive an '08 or later Vette but the '05 was somewhat unsatisfying because it was so fast that normal speeds felt sedate and ordinary. It wasn't lively, instead it was planted. The Boxster felt better at normal speeds (the ones I've driven are the first gen cars). The nice thing about the Boxster is it seemed to have that Miata like fun to drive even at normal speeds. Add in the extra power and grip and it's hard to go wrong with the car. Of course there is something to be said of the Corvette's power.

So what about getting the CPO Boxster now then get a C7 when they come out?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I would love to have a 997 Boxster S, or even a slightly older version too. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 PM

I sometimes think of a Boxster too, but whenever I ride in a 'fancy' ragtop they still suck with the top up and are noisy with the top down, pretty much like my S. So while there is a difference, I think the S works out good for what it is, but if I had $$$ that i had to spend... I'd probably move up to the Porsche too.

Vilano is a nice spot, we cruise up that way when we go for a weekend in St. Aug.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Personally I would love to own a Boxster S. If you're looking for an upscale version of the S, I think it's the only choice.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Holy shit, do we need a multi-quote function. I'm also on a 3G connection with so-so bars - I'm OOT with some down time which started my mind wondering on this whole possibility. The woman is totally into it as long as it makes "lifestyle" sense and she really enjoys the convertible experience (she had a Z3 then a 328Ci).

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Jul 18 2010, 05:57 PM
So while there is a difference, I think the S works out good for what it is, but if I had $$$ that i had to spend... I'd probably move up to the Porsche too.

Vilano is a nice spot, we cruise up that way when we go for a weekend in St. Aug.
Yeah, I even considered a couple of alternatives before the S and at the time I wasn't sure the price difference was justified. Still not sure as a matter of fact, but I'm 99% confident dropping another $7-8K on the S is not a good choice (yet I feel like I need "more" of something).

We love it down here (er, I'm actually up here right now ) We used to drive down to St. Augustine to get away from Jax since it seems like we were always running into people we knew (and it started when we were on the QT ) Since I work mainly out of the house it's a nice place for the World HQ.

[QUOTE=rockville,Jul 18 2010, 05:13 PM]The Boxster sure is a nice looking car.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ming, why selling the CS?

Quick Reply: The S2K might be a short timer!